Flat pedal shoes with velcro fastening.

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Tiberius

Flat pedal shoes with velcro fastening.

Post by Tiberius »

As per the title, I'm looking for some flat pedal (non SPD) cycling shoes with velcro fastening....NOT laces.

I really like proper SPD type cycling shoes with velcro fastening, and would like some similar (ish) cycling shoes with a nice flat/clingy sole for flat pedals. It would APPEAR that nearly all flat pedal shoes have laces which I would prefer to avoid.

Any recommendations ??

Thank you.
backnotes

Re: Flat pedal shoes with velcro fastening.

Post by backnotes »

Not quite sure what "flat/clingy" means, but have you looked at two bolt SPD shoes? These are often sold as MTB shoes, but come with different soles, so some are very chunky, but others are more like a stiff version of regular trainers. There are also a few 2 bolt road touring shoes.

The two bolt SPD shoes have three general designs of sole. One has a recess where the cleat will go, like the Shimano RT5 Road Touring SPD Shoes 2018, and these would probably be no good, as there is a hollow where the cleat goes just where you want good contact right across the pedal. The second design has a plate made of hard rubber-y sole material you unscrew that covers where the cleat would go, and the third has a cut out in the sole you remove with a sharp knife. The latter two designs vary, but can be level-ish across the width of the shoe before cleats are fitted, and hence could work with flat pedals.

So, it may be worth looking at some two bolt / MTB or touring SPD shoes, and specifically at how these cover the place where the cleat would go before cleats are fitted. I've used two bolt SPD shoes for ages, and no two pairs have had the same sole design, so I'm afraid it's a case of looking at (pictures of) what they are like before you fit cleats.

Good luck.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

backnotes wrote:Not quite sure what "flat/clingy" means, but have you looked at two bolt SPD shoes

"Flat/clingy is something you don’t usually find on an MtB SPD shoe. They tend to be knobbly, aggressive and, IME if they aren’t clipped in, not very clingy.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

backnotes wrote:Not quite sure what "flat/clingy" means, but have you looked at two bolt SPD shoes? These are often sold as MTB shoes, but come with different soles, so some are very chunky, but others are more like a stiff version of regular trainers. There are also a few 2 bolt road touring shoes.

The two bolt SPD shoes have three general designs of sole. One has a recess where the cleat will go, like the Shimano RT5 Road Touring SPD Shoes 2018, and these would probably be no good, as there is a hollow where the cleat goes just where you want good contact right across the pedal. The second design has a plate made of hard rubber-y sole material you unscrew that covers where the cleat would go, and the third has a cut out in the sole you remove with a sharp knife. The latter two designs vary, but can be level-ish across the width of the shoe before cleats are fitted, and hence could work with flat pedals.

So, it may be worth looking at some two bolt / MTB or touring SPD shoes, and specifically at how these cover the place where the cleat would go before cleats are fitted. I've used two bolt SPD shoes for ages, and no two pairs have had the same sole design, so I'm afraid it's a case of looking at (pictures of) what they are like before you fit cleats.

Good luck.

Interesting stuff....Many thanks for the reply.
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

Paulatic wrote:
backnotes wrote:"Flat/clingy is something you don’t usually find on an MtB SPD shoe. They tend to be knobbly, aggressive and, IME if they aren’t clipped in, not very clingy.

EXACTLY !!

I'm looking for shoes with a sole like this (for example)...

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/five-ten-f ... lsrc=aw.ds

...but with a velcro fastening not laces.

I have not conducted an exhaustive search but I've had a bit of a look around. If they are available then they keep themselves well hidden.
bogmyrtle

Post by bogmyrtle »

I was just about to suggest five tens.
Why velcro?
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.
Vetus Ossa

Post by Vetus Ossa »

I have just bought a second pair of five tens.
They are just about the most comfortable shoes I have ever worn, and the sole clings to the pedals, I have never slipped off them like I have with others.
Laces though, but I have mine a little loosely tightened and sometimes just slip them on.
Beauty will save the world.
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

bogmyrtle wrote:I was just about to suggest five tens.
Why velcro?

....because I DON'T want laces.....I may have mentioned this..... :mrgreen:
ratherbeintobago

Post by ratherbeintobago »

Would Boa closures work, rather than traditional laces?
AndyA

Post by AndyA »

My requirements for a mtb shoe are very similar to yours. The closest I could find was a Shimano GR9. Velcro flap covering drawstring laces. I would have preferred velcro only, or a boa or something but the drawstring is fine really. Very grippy soles
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

ratherbeintobago wrote:Would Boa closures work, rather than traditional laces?

Quite possibly. Do you have any recommendations ??...
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

AndyA wrote:My requirements for a mtb shoe are very similar to yours. The closest I could find was a Shimano GR9. Velcro flap covering drawstring laces. I would have preferred velcro only, or a boa or something but the drawstring is fine really. Very grippy soles

Cheers...I had seen those and they are probably in 'Pole position' for my cash....They look as near as I'm going to get to what I'm looking for.
ratherbeintobago

Tiberius wrote:
ratherbeintobago wrote:Would Boa closures work, rather than traditional laces?

Quite possibly. Do you have any recommendations ??...

I was going to say Spesh 2FO but it looks like it’s only the SPD version that’s got Boas, oddly.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

You can use SPD shoes with flat pedals. Just don't attach the cleats.
ratherbeintobago

Bmblbzzz wrote:You can use SPD shoes with flat pedals. Just don't attach the cleats.

You can, but I’d gathered what he’s after is something with a Five10-esque flat sole for use with flat pedals with pins?