Should I convert to a Rohloff hub - costs vs benefits ?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Ivor Tingting

Re: Should I convert to a Rohloff hub - costs vs benefits ?

Post by Ivor Tingting »

For me Rohloff ownership has been a revelation. Would never ever go back to derailleurs. Full chain guard and disc brakes, my bike is genuinely low maintenance. I do an oil change twice a year and take these occasions to clean and lube the chain, but I could really get away with doing this only once a year as the chain is always so clean. The Rohloff hub has paid for itself in time saved I would have spent maintaining a derailleur bike and also on the cost of replacement transmission parts. It's a win win as far as I am concerned. My bike is so much cleaner now. No oily mucky deposits on the rear wheel or getting oil on your legs, hands or clothing or anything else.

Btw you can fit a Rohloff to an LHT without fitting a chain tensioner by using an eccentric bottom bracket to adjust chain tension. You can then use a full chain guard as well to protect the chain.

Other IHG just don't have the same quality as the Rohloff. If oil changes are done when they should be done then they will literally last a life time.

I commuted on a Brompton with 3 speed hub for 18 months in all weathers which killed the hub as the seals were as good as cheese and let water in.

The only other IHG bikes with belt I would give a go would be a hybrid Cube Hyde Race with Alfine 8 spd hub with belt drive about £900 and Scott used to do the Sub 10 again a hybrid with Alfine 8 spd and belt drive. I am sure there are others, well I know there are such as Koga and Tout Terrain but the prices of these bikes are eye watering. At these prices Pinon gearbox bikes with belt become an option.
Last edited by Ivor Tingting on 14 Mar 2019, 12:23am, edited 1 time in total.
"Zat is ze reel prowoking qwestion Mr Paxman." - Peer Steinbruck, German Finance Minister 31/03/2009.
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

Ivor Tingting wrote:Btw you can fit a Rohloff to an LHT without fitting a chain tensioner by using an eccentric bottom bracket to adjust chain tension.

Really ??....LHT doesn't have an EBB shell. Am I missing something ??

Disc Trucker frame does have an anchor point for Rohloff OEM2 axel plate though.
Ivor Tingting

Post by Ivor Tingting »

Tiberius wrote:
Ivor Tingting wrote:Btw you can fit a Rohloff to an LHT without fitting a chain tensioner by using an eccentric bottom bracket to adjust chain tension.

Really ??....LHT doesn't have an EBB shell. Am I missing something ??

Disc Trucker frame does have an anchor point for Rohloff OEM2 axel plate though.

Yes you are missing something. There are various types of eccentric bottom bracket that you use in place of traditional external BB bearing shells or sealed cartridge type BB. These eccentric BB have movement in their cups and locking grub screws. You have to use a HollowTech 2 or similar chain set though.
"Zat is ze reel prowoking qwestion Mr Paxman." - Peer Steinbruck, German Finance Minister 31/03/2009.
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

Ivor Tingting wrote:Yes you are missing something. There are various types of eccentric bottom bracket that you use in place of traditional external BB bearing shells or sealed cartridge type BB. These eccentric BB have movement in their cups and locking grub screws. You have to use a HollowTech 2 or similar chain set though.

GUESSING...you mean something like this....

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/bottom-brac ... centriker/
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Appolgies if someone has already suggested but this might be useful
https://sheldonbrown.com/gear-calc.html
in helping to make a choice
NUKe

Post by Ivor Tingting »

Tiberius wrote:
Ivor Tingting wrote:Yes you are missing something. There are various types of eccentric bottom bracket that you use in place of traditional external BB bearing shells or sealed cartridge type BB. These eccentric BB have movement in their cups and locking grub screws. You have to use a HollowTech 2 or similar chain set though.

GUESSING...you mean something like this....

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/bottom-brac ... centriker/

Yes something like that although that one is quite expensive! :shock: There are other brands.
Freddie

Post by Freddie »

It is interesting how the OP went from wanting a Rohloff to essentially getting a butcher's bike. Nowt wrong with that, of course, but talk about a 180 degree turn.

What does ThePinkOne mean btw. I know people give themselves all sorts of names on fora, but it does have a slightly euphemistic ring to it :?
ThePinkOne

Post by ThePinkOne »

I still want a Rohloff, but I now have the best of both worlds- a local run-around plus time to eventually convert the posh bike. I think what I've learnt is that I like hub gears and that I don't need to make excuses to either (a) do up my posh bike eventually or (b) get yet another bike as a local run-around. N+1 can be difficult to control!

The Pink One is from my archery days. I ended up with a bow with pink strings on it. "Which bow is yours then?" "The Pink One." I am not a girly female at all, so it got a grin or two that I used pink strings (a friend made them for me). When I joined the forum originally, it was in those says so it just kind-of fitted. Not sure if that fits your imagined euphemisms!

I haven't got a pink bike yet although I did use floral gaffer tape in pink/orange/green to "do up" the frame on my winter bike :mrgreen:

TPO
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

I am encouraged by your initial reports regarding the elephant bike; -sounds like you might really need a wheelbarrow with pedals though.... :wink:

I do hope it continues to work out OK for you.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~