Should I convert to a Rohloff hub - costs vs benefits ?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
pwa

Re: Should I convert to a Rohloff hub - costs vs benefits ?

Post by pwa »

ubert767 wrote:After eleven years of faultless service, a thimble-full of oil every year and a new sprocket when required.......for me the Rohloff choice was a sound one.

Rob

If maintenance is the issue, yes, it is in a league of its own. And all the Shimano hub gear issues don't seem to exist with Rohloff. Indexing problems don't exist, for me at least. The only issues I've heard of are cracked flanges.
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

pwa wrote:
ubert767 wrote:After eleven years of faultless service, a thimble-full of oil every year and a new sprocket when required.......for me the Rohloff choice was a sound one.

Rob

If maintenance is the issue, yes, it is in a league of its own. And all the Shimano hub gear issues don't seem to exist with Rohloff. Indexing problems don't exist, for me at least. The only issues I've heard of are cracked flanges.

+1 on the indexing. By doing this in the hub the rohloff overcomes all the issues on cable tension. Not a big deal perhaps but one of those regular things you otherwise need to fiddle with,
ubert767

Post by ubert767 »

I'm not adverse to a bit of maintenance, it's just that I'd prefer to spend my time cycling or restoring my old British motorbike!
Rob
Last edited by Graham on 19 Feb 2019, 12:56pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: quotation garbled => deleted
PH

Post by PH »

pwa wrote:The only issues I've heard of are cracked flanges.

I've had two flanges crack, both fixed FOC by SJS despite being well out of any warranty period.
My 15 year old hub is also now leaking oil, I put it in, it leaks out after the first long ride. It's not a huge deal, I'm told enough oil remains for it to do no harm, but it's not an expensive fix and I'll get it done for the sake of my carpet.
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

ubert767 wrote:After eleven years of faultless service, a thimble-full of gobsmackingly expensive oil every year and a new sprocket when required.......for me the Rohloff choice was a sound one
Rob

...fixed that for yer Rob...... :mrgreen:
PH

Post by PH »

Tiberius wrote:
ubert767 wrote:After eleven years of faultless service, a thimble-full of gobsmackingly expensive oil every year and a new sprocket when required.......for me the Rohloff choice was a sound one
Rob

Well it is if you compare the price per litre with other oils, but the cost of the annual oil change at current prices is between £12 and £1.80 depending on the volume you buy. I'm about to run out of the oil I bought 15 years ago, 1 litre of each between four people, that's worked out at around £1 a year, gobsmackingly cheap :lol: I'll probably invest in 250ml bottles this time round to save the faff of splitting it, that'll work out at an extravagant £3 a year.
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

PH wrote:
Tiberius wrote:
Rob

Well it is if you compare the price per litre with other oils, but the cost of the annual oil change at current prices is between £12 and £1.80 depending on the volume you buy. I'm about to run out of the oil I bought 15 years ago, 1 litre of each between four people, that's worked out at around £1 a year, gobsmackingly cheap :lol: I'll probably invest in 250ml bottles this time round to save the faff of splitting it, that'll work out at an extravagant £3 a year.

But I do compare the price per litre with other oils....I'm from Yorkshire !!!!...... :shock:

For those of you that aren't aware, have a quick look at the price/quantity. I accept that it hardly breaks the bank, but how can a scratty bit of oil for a push bike hub cost so much ??

Annual oil change.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tools/rohlo ... 0014-8411/

Bulk buy.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tools/rohlo ... 0014-8409/
PH

Post by PH »

Tiberius wrote:For those of you that aren't aware, have a quick look at the price/quantity. I accept that it hardly breaks the bank, but how can a scratty bit of oil for a push bike hub cost so much ??

Annual oil change.

Bulk buy.

This is the proper bulk buy, 4 times the quantity for 2.5 times the price compared to the 250ml or 40 times the quantity for 10 times the price compared to the single shot. If I wanted some to leave for my grandkids it's the one I'd buy.
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tools/rohlo ... 0014-8406/
When I bought my Rohloff there was nothing between the single shot and the litre tins, I think they introduced the 250ml as people were bulk buying and splitting with friends or selling on via forums or ebay.
I don't disagree with what you say about the price, but I just look at the cost which is minimal.
ubert767

Post by ubert767 »

After scores of loaded tours and eleven years of frequent use, I consider the Rohloff oil to be reassuringly expensive.
Rob
middleagedspread

Post by middleagedspread »

grufty wrote:... fixing a p[uncture], but I usually do this without wheel removal...

This had honestly never occurred to me :oops:
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

PH wrote:
Tiberius wrote:For those of you that aren't aware, have a quick look at the price/quantity. I accept that it hardly breaks the bank, but how can a scratty bit of oil for a push bike hub cost so much ??

Annual oil change.

Bulk buy.

This is the proper bulk buy, 4 times the quantity for 2.5 times the price compared to the 250ml or 40 times the quantity for 10 times the price compared to the single shot. If I wanted some to leave for my grandkids it's the one I'd buy.
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tools/rohlo ... 0014-8406/
When I bought my Rohloff there was nothing between the single shot and the litre tins, I think they introduced the 250ml as people were bulk buying and splitting with friends or selling on via forums or ebay.
I don't disagree with what you say about the price, but I just look at the cost which is minimal.

I remember all the splitting/selling of bulk buy Rohloff oil over on the Thorn site.

There is nothing wrong with your argument or maths...BUT....I just could not pay circa £120.00 for two litres of oil, though ultimately I might pay more if I live long enough. My whole point was that compared litre to litre it (in most people's eyes) is gobsmackingly expensive.

I do accept that 'most' does NOT mean 'all''.....and whatever, I wouldn't put any other oil in it.... :)
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Obviously it's produced in tiny quantities for Rohloff, presumably (?) to a bespoke* spec, but that really is truly eye-watering, isn't it.

*It has to be, doesn't it?
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

it is a commercial grade oil that is made in industrial quantities, and doesn't cost that much when bought in (proper) bulk.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Brucey wrote:it is a commercial grade oil that is made in industrial quantities, and doesn't cost that much when bought in (proper) bulk.

cheers

I'd rather expected so, but interesting to have it confirmed, thanks.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

I appreciate the design and build quality of Rohloffs.

I have test ridden one and must say I liked it.

I have two other IGH bikes - a five speed brompton (no mech complications - all in the hub) and a dualdrive (3 speed IGH paired with a seven speed rear mech) so appreciate the convenience of such things.

I did once consider one but that was when SJS would sell you a RBohloff equipped full bike for under a grand - they must surely have been getting a discount to popularise them.

I wouldn''t consider one now.

I like to be able to see what parts are up to/fix/sort things myself and I find decent quality front and rear mechs pretty good.

If there is an issue it is probably just a matter of adjustment, a bit of judicious bending (if you have pranged the rear - not that common) or bodging.

Any failure probably won't be total and can be bodged.

Worst comes to the worst a replacement can be sourced and fitted on the road.

On a loaded tourer the rear mech is in any case of course protected from a lot of mishaps by my voluminous panniers.

Nickability - yes, would be a concern - I figure bike thieves are rather well educated in the way of bikes these days.
Sweep