How to prepare for an organised EVENT (soon) from zero start?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Cyril Haearn

Re: How to prepare for an organised EVENT (soon) from zero start?

Post by Cyril Haearn »

The OP cites age and weight but not height, what is his/her BMI? For a tall person the weight could be very normal

Plusminus for speculation :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Cyril Haearn wrote:The OP cites age and weight but not height, what is his/her BMI? For a tall person the weight could be very normal

Plusminus for speculation :wink:

BMI doesn't mean anything, either. That's been discussed on a few threads but this is probably the most recent viewtopic.php?f=49&t=121499
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Gotta laugh at you guys, you love to get stuck in. The OP is probably hiding under the sofa.

To the matter:

I ride quite lot. I've just finished 67kms, day before yesterday 93kms, day before 87, admittedly in up to 35° heat, but I think 85 miles is a long way. I know most of you guys knock off 100kms before breakfast, but remember, you are all keen and regular cyclists.

In my book 146 kms i(85 miles) is a long day and not something I would relish. I think some of you take such a distance a little too lightly.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

It's a pity when these threads turn in on themselves. If somebody seeks advice then that's what they should be given. There's a fine line between being realistic and being discouraging.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

thirdcrank wrote:It's a pity when these threads turn in on themselves. If somebody seeks advice then that's what they should be given. There's a fine line between being realistic and being discouraging.

+1
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Vorpal wrote:BMI doesn't mean anything, either.

Doesn't mean everything, sure. But definitely the higher your BMI the harder you are likely to find cycling, certainly up hill.

Anyway, in the unlikely event the OP emerges from behind their sofa, I'd say if in doubt about your health, see a doctor.

Otherwise, spend as much time on a bike as possible and eat as little as possible before the event.

There's almost certain the be a sag wagon on such an event, so the worst that will happen is likely being driven to the finish.