How to prepare for an organised EVENT (soon) from zero start?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
peetee

Re: How to prepare for an organised EVENT (soon) from zero start?

Post by peetee »

You don't say if you are otherwise fit and healthy through another type of regular exercise.
If this is not the case then i would recommend a supplementary form of exercise to boost your fitness as spending all your time on a bike could make the job harder than it needs to be. Cycling will improve your muscle strength and cardiovascular fitness but joint suppleness goes a long way towards comfort (especially in your back, neck and shoulders). Spending time in a pool, for example, either swimming or aerobics is a great way to 'limber up' much more rapidly than you would on a bike.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
mjr

Post by mjr »

NUKe wrote:It’s not recommended at any age to start out without knowing your fitness, anyone over 40 that has done little exercise, should seek medical advice before agreeing to ride a 85 mile sportive. The OP had problems riding a bike back from the shop that he intends to do an 85 mile. And I am guessing from the description that his fitness level is low to none existent. The man hasn’t
Coops57 wrote:I am 62 and 16.5 stone. I have not ridden a bike in 40 years but am doing a charity bike ride from Canterbury to Menin Gate, Ypres (85 miles) on 23rd March.
I picked up the bike today and was wobbly on the 1.5 miles home.
I have such little time left- what do you advise for training for this event?

Why does nobody else think that this is a complete madness?

Because we've seen people do more starting from worse and succeed. It's not really "a 85 mile sportive" with the break for crossing the channel in the middle. It's probably more like a 20, then a 65. It sounds more like one long touring day. From the distance, I'm hoping it's the valley used by the old railway then Regional Route 17 to the channel tunnel terminal, then from Calais, take a reasonably direct route onto EV5, switch to LF1 at Watten, follow that to Oost Cappel, then N308 to Poperinge and Ypres (most of it has good cycleways). The toughest climb on the other side would be the Mont de Watten, maybe three-quarters of a mile at 7%, but even then the organiser might use a flatter but busier and half-mile longer detour through Millam.

The problems riding the bike back from the shop sound an awful lot like bad setup, which Vorpal covered on page 1. http://www.wheel-easy.org.uk/bike-set-up/
NUKe wrote:I wouldn’t even advise a training regime until the man has been medically assessed.

That's fair comment, but Cyril Haearn already suggested that on page 1.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

mjr wrote:
NUKe wrote:It’s not recommended at any age to start out without knowing your fitness, anyone over 40 that has done little exercise, should seek medical advice before agreeing to ride a 85 mile sportive. The OP had problems riding a bike back from the shop that he intends to do an 85 mile. And I am guessing from the description that his fitness level is low to none existent. The man hasn’t
Coops57 wrote:I am 62 and 16.5 stone. I have not ridden a bike in 40 years but am doing a charity bike ride from Canterbury to Menin Gate, Ypres (85 miles) on 23rd March.
I picked up the bike today and was wobbly on the 1.5 miles home.
I have such little time left- what do you advise for training for this event?

Why does nobody else think that this is a complete madness?

Because we've seen people do more starting from worse and succeed. It's not really "a 85 mile sportive" with the break for crossing the channel in the middle. It's probably more like a 20, then a 65. It sounds more like one long touring day. From the distance, I'm hoping it's the valley used by the old railway then Regional Route 17 to the channel tunnel terminal, then from Calais, take a reasonably direct route onto EV5, switch to LF1 at Watten, follow that to Oost Cappel, then N308 to Poperinge and Ypres (most of it has good cycleways). The toughest climb on the other side would be the Mont de Watten, maybe three-quarters of a mile at 7%, but even then the organiser might use a flatter but busier and half-mile longer detour through Millam.

The problems riding the bike back from the shop sound an awful lot like bad setup, which Vorpal covered on page 1. http://www.wheel-easy.org.uk/bike-set-up/
NUKe wrote:I wouldn’t even advise a training regime until the man has been medically assessed.

That's fair comment, but Cyril Haearn already suggested that on page 1.

Hes 62 16.5 stone (And if he's anything like my FIL that could mean anything up to 20 stone) cant ride a bike, has lees than 5 weeks to the start, the last bike he rode had cow horns and 3 speed which means he wasn't serious last time he rode a bike 40 years ago, he has not responded to questions like do you do any other exercise, and intends to ride 85 miles in a day point me to a worse case you have seen. It would be a long way for a 40 year old. An unfit 62 year old its potentially life threatening.
NUKe

Post by thirdcrank »

.... point me to a worse case you have seen. ....

The Nissan Man was a heavy smoker. He was preparing for the London to Brighton but doesn't seem to have posted about how he managed on the day
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=44093
mjr

Post by mjr »

NUKe wrote:the last bike he rode had cow horns and 3 speed which means he wasn't serious

If you meant that as a dig at my preferred bikes?

Anyway, I have indeed seen worse (in the flesh, not only forums) but I'm not drifting this thread into documenting other people's medical history here. I think it's a bit mean to take a wobble (which could be bad setup) into "can't ride a bike" and as long as he is cleared by a doctor, there seems little reason why it's not possible if willing to put the time and effort in.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Coops57 wrote:Great advice thank you. Couldn't believe the amount of gears
Last bike had cowhorns and 3 gears.
Really stuggling with balance turning left. Can't raise my.left hand. Right hand off the bars is fine.
Luckily the French Belgium side of the ride is pretty flat

It wasn’t anything to do with you MJR I was quoting what the op said about the last time he rode, a style popular in the 70’s but thanks for the veiled swearing. I am trying to point out that Coop is starting from nothing.
mjr wrote:
NUKe wrote:the last bike he rode had cow horns and 3 speed which means he wasn't serious

If you meant that as a dig at my preferred bikes ?

Anyway, I have indeed seen worse (in the flesh, not only forums) but I'm not drifting this thread into documenting other people's medical history here. I think it's a bit mean to take a wobble (which could be bad setup) into "can't ride a bike" and as long as he is cleared by a doctor, there seems little reason why it's not possible if willing to put the time and effort in.
there is for an unfit person a significant risk of death or disability from suddenly taking up exercise. Yes I know disabled riders, and my Fil cycles after 2 heart attacks but going from zero to 85 miles is not the smartest move for an over 60
NUKe

Post by mattsccm »

Strewth there are some gloomy so and so's here.
The OP is/past his best, unfit and over weight. Or so he says. What's the worst that can happen? Death? He doesn't seem that worried. More likely he will be absolutely knackered, ache for a week and need a damn good meal and beer afterwards.
Go for it mate. It will be hard , so what?
Don't ask a doctor, he'll tell you no. Ride your bike as much as possible, get your buttock used to the saddle and on the day eat every scrap of food that passes by and do the same will every drop of non alcoholic drink.
If you are bloody minded enough you'll do it.
videoman

Post by videoman »

Think you all must have scared the OP off, don't think he's posted for over two days now.
mjr

Post by mjr »

videoman wrote:Think you all must have scared the OP off, don't think he's posted for over two days now.

With any luck, it's because he's been to the docs and is now spending any spare minute riding or tweaking his bike :)
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

NUKe wrote: there is for an unfit person a significant risk of death or disability from suddenly taking up exercise. Yes I know disabled riders, and my Fil cycles after 2 heart attacks but going from zero to 85 miles is not the smartest move for an over 60

First, we don't know anything about whether the OP is, or is not fit, or whether they've had a recent health screening, or anything else. We have their age, weight, and we know they had not ridden a bike in a long while.

Secondly, it is clear that going from sedentary to physical exertion is riskier than than a gradual increase in exercise.

But the risk in remaining sedentary is bigger still.

Lastly, cycling doesn't have to be extreme exertion. Moderate exercise does not pose a significant risk for most people. That doesn't mean it's bad idea to have health risks assessed. Just that it's not as likely to result in death as you suggest.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

NUKe wrote: there is for an unfit person a significant risk of death or disability from suddenly taking up exercise. Yes I know disabled riders, and my Fil cycles after 2 heart attacks but going from zero to 85 miles is not the smartest move for an over 60

Define significant, how people have died from the millions that have 'suddenly' (whatever that means also) started exercising?
In fact the OP isn't 'suddenly' going to do 85 miles, they have 5 weeks to prepare, having a 10mph average stroll on the flat is not going to significantly increase the chances of killing anyone making them disabled
Anecdotal experience as we know does not equal evidence.
Far more people have died from sedentary lifestyles because of worry warts telling them they need to do this and that and that they are too 'unfit, too overweight, it might hurt you etc :roll: Yeah and the sky might fall in too one day!
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Vorpal wrote:

First, we don't know anything about whether the OP is, or is not fit, or whether they've had a recent health screening, or anything else. We have their age, weight, and we know they had not ridden a bike in a long while.

Secondly, it is clear that going from sedentary to physical exertion is riskier than than a gradual increase in exercise.

But the risk in remaining sedentary is bigger still.

Lastly, cycling doesn't have to be extreme exertion. Moderate exercise does not pose a significant risk for most people. That doesn't mean it's bad idea to have health risks assessed. Just that it's not as likely to result in death as you suggest.

Firstly the op is 62 and 16 1/2 stone, has admitted to not riding a bike since his teens. When asked about other exercise did not respond. So yes was an assumption on my part. I do agree cycling can be moderate, however doing 85 miles in one day is not moderate for anybody. I have never suggested the OP didn’t cycle, just that they didn’t go from zero to 85 miles in such a short space of time. I originally posted that Coop should see his Gp before embarking on what for someone who hasn’t ridden for long while, this is not a short ride for someone who hasn’t been on a bike since they were in their teens, and unless he is over 6ft 8 is overweight as he failed to mention height I ruled that out.

As for utility cyclists comments no I can’t tell you how many people is significant in this case, but most advice tells people to start gentle. nhs advises seeing your gp before embarking on exercise from sedentary if you are over 40 let alone over 60.

As you all think I am wrong I will shut up and let you turn another person into someone that thinks cycling is hard, I had had enough of this thread when I was told **** you anyway.
NUKe

Post by Vorpal »

NUKe wrote: I had had enough of this thread when I was told **** you anyway.

Next time, please report things like that.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
mjr

Post by mjr »

Vorpal wrote:

I said IF that equating of 3 speeds with not being a 'serious' cyclist was a dig at me, then ****, but it was claimed earlier that it wasn't... but now the truth comes out! :lol:
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

mjr wrote:
Vorpal wrote:

I said IF that equating of 3 speeds with not being a 'serious' cyclist was a dig at me, then ****, but it was claimed earlier that it wasn't... but now the truth comes out! :lol:

Things like that are easily interpretted in the most negative way.