Bike computer

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
djbs10

Bike computer

Post by djbs10 »

Hi I’m looking for a good computer for road and trainer use that I can transfer to Strava.
Any recommendations?
Regards Dan

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels
thelawnet

Re: Bike computer

Post by thelawnet »

some thoughts here:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=127550

Perhaps the Edge 130 if you don't need the mapping/routing stuff but are concentrating on Strava times
busb

Post by busb »

I would 2nd the Garmin Edge 130 as a contender. My Edge 820 with recent firmware updates, works well enough but suffers from poor daytime visibility under sunny conditions. Non-colour displays such as on the Edge 130 & Wahoos tend to have better contrast therefore less distracting - requiring a quick glance rather a long stare.
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

I bought the edge 130 from Halfords, couldn't believe how lightweight and cheap it felt. Powered it up and after 10 minutes decided to take it back to Halfords. I told them it kept freezing and paid the extra for the edge explore... what a difference!!
busb

Post by busb »

I can't comment on the Edge 130 directly but can say it's been well-received as being one of Garmin's better cycling computers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGe3_MxFXpg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mPWSEpaIBo
https://road.cc/content/review/249884-garmin-edge-130
All reviews I've seen comment on how clear the screen is. I would recommend carrying a USB charger for all-day riding for this and most computers.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

If all you want is a simple small device much akin to a "normal" bike computer, look no further than the Garmin Edge20 or Edge 25.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-Edge-GP ... in+edge+20
Both units are identical except that the Edge25 has a barometric altimeter for better elevation accuracy.

I have an Edge20.
Excellent bit of kit for the price and the simplicity.
Mick F. Cornwall
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

I got the edge 25 when it was on offer at Halfords, the navigation is okay if you know where you're going, I plotted a route around the lanes and ended up having to get my phone out! Had to buy a silicone case for it as it slipped out of my hands twice but for the money I paid it's very good.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

The OP - Dan - didn't ask about navigation.

Yes the 20 and the 25 aren't good for navigation at all. They are designed to follow known courses, not navigate routes.
I have tried it, but took many a wrong turn! :lol:

Small screen and a tiny breadcrumb trail that you can't manually alter the scale with. It automatically zooms out when you're off course and zooms back in when you get back on. Come to a complicated junction, and it's almost useless for that.

As I say, it's not designed for "satnav", it's just a recording device combined with a Virtual Partner to race against if you wish.
Mick F. Cornwall
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

Mick F wrote:If all you want is a simple small device much akin to a "normal" bike computer, look no further than the Garmin Edge20 or Edge 25.
Both units are identical except that the Edge25 has a barometric altimeter for better elevation accuracy.

I have an Edge20.
Excellent bit of kit for the price and the simplicity.

Not identical . I wouldn't (personally speaking) touch the Edge 20 with a bargepole as it doesn't have the option to upload workouts wirelessly .

It's also missing heart rate and cadence options and wouldn't work with his indoor trainer. I would imagine the OP would want heart rate at a minimum.

The Edge 25 in fact lacks a barometric altimeter.

The Edge 130 has the barometric altitude and besides being bigger has the 'live segment' feature for Strava racing, and adds support for Bluetooth sensors as opposed to the Edge 25 which only supports ant+, as well as allowing you to use power meters.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Sorry, my mistake.
I could have sworn that the 25 had BP altimeter.

Couldn't care one way or another about WiFi uploading. You have to connect to charge it, so why not upload at the same time?
Not interested in HR. So long as my heart beats, so what? :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

Mick F wrote:Sorry, my mistake.
I could have sworn that the 25 had BP altimeter.

Couldn't care one way or another about WiFi uploading. You have to connect to charge it, so why not upload at the same time?
Not interested in HR. So long as my heart beats, so what? :wink:

Connect to what? I have a six port usb charger plugged into the mains with lots of cables ready for charging. One place, one charger, remove them when they are done. Computer USB ports generally have lower output.

I don't use a Garmin at the moment but I would imagine that there isn't any kind of 'workflow' in terms of the upload process, it's just one click at the end of the ride.

I'm assuming someone who owns a 'trainer' is going to be more concerned about HR than yourself.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

djbs10 wrote:Hi I’m looking for a good computer for road and trainer use that I can transfer to Strava.
Any recommendations?
I made my recommendation with respect to some of that.

Dan asked for "any recommendations".

To my mind, you could have two systems.
Often, folk have a trainer as well as a bike (or three) for riding out in the real world. One system for tracking when outside on a ride that is easily transferable between bikes, and the other for logging your speed/distance/HR etc on your trainer.
Mick F. Cornwall
flat tyre

Post by flat tyre »

One thing to check is battery life as it's very frustrating if you're out on an all day ride and the battery goes flat before you get home.
I've got a Lezyne Macro GPS, I've done day rides lasting up to 14 hours and haven't yet managed to flatten the battery. I'm not sure what it's like for navigation though as I only use it to record the ride.