Bike Storage sheds

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
novicecycler

Bike Storage sheds

Post by novicecycler »

Hi,
Looking for any suggestions for secure bikes storage to fit 4 bikes for all of the family.

I am currently looking at the asgard metal bike store but wondered if there are any alternatives, most others that I can see are for 3 bikes. I don't want a full size shed as this will be going in the front garden. Budget of around £500.

Thank you.
Graham

Re: Bike Storage sheds

Post by Graham »

A couple of useful historicals below :-

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=104696&

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=26732
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Re Asgard

These seem to be modular in that there's flexibility in size and internal fittings. I'd say if you can afford these and you want the best security, here you are. The firm which makes them is an area where men are men, and there are no namby-pamby bourgeois ideas about what counts as security. I've never needed one of these but I've seen a few in use. Two of my grandchildren are at a primary school which has several for storing equipment outside which I've been able to examine in detail and I'd say the only way you might do better would be some sort of shipping container. As CJ says on one of the linked threads, anything can be defeated. Let's remember that ATM's are being made into genuine "hole-in-the-wall" jobbies by baddies with JCB diggers, but an Asgard store will resist most attacks.

I have no personal interest here: just an admirer of the examples I've observed.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

We've got ours in a brick outbuilding. In our next house we're hoping for a garage. However a local bike shop told me about one of their customers who had a £4k bike nicked from a locked garage. The thieves got in through the flat roof then used the tools in the garage to cut through all security devices.

The guy had a gold rated chain but his insurer didn't pay up because his ground anchor was a silver rated one.

Tip number one, read insurance small print closely and get the insurer to spell out what security is needed to confirm to their requirements of cover. Specifically spelling it out. Then it follow it to the letter.

This will not stop any bike thief, but at least your insurer won't get away with not paying out.

My preference is to live in a low burglary rate area. Low crime rate all around. A research paper on crime across the UK mapped out crime rate and perception of crime rate. Where we live the crime rate / perception was at the lowest category with the likes of a very remote part of Sutherland in northern Scotland. It was a small area with our little town in the middle. I'm quite happy with that and one burglary down our street (actually including dead end side streets) in 19 years to the best of my knowledge. Neighbour is a huge busybody so I'd have heard of any more.

Must admit I have thought of the asgard bike sheds myself too. They seem a good product. Do they have a closed base or do you have to bolt into a concrete base for full security benefits?
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

A local bike shop of my acquaintance recently had stock stolen from a locked steel container - thieves apparently cut through it to get in! :roll:

In the past i've heard of several cases where thieves have knocked holes in the out of sight rear of brick garages to gain access. A friend has spent a fortune on SS Gold locks to secure the family bikes/ m/c's - the garage is cinder block, a pitched roof and is alarmed. The weak point of course then becomes the access points.

I think at the end of the day you can only take reasonable precaution. I guess i'm quite lucky living in an upper floor flat with restricted access and the bikes living in the flat with me. Might not. Be ideal in terms of access and space but pretty good for security.

Those Asgard things sound pretty good. It might be worth considering a bright and noisy alarm to go with the storage. :wink:
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Do they have a closed base or do you have to bolt into a concrete base for full security benefits?

The bike store has metal floor ie it forms a complete metal box. Belt 'n' braces suggests to me that while anchoring the whole caboodle isn't strictly necessary, it wouldn't go amiss. I don't know if all the larger units have floors.

On the matter of weak points like the roofs of sheds, a would-be intruder isn't admiring the strong points like posh locks, but sussing out the weak bits. Also, many have no qualms about what damage they cause. Anybody with room to manoeuvre, so to speak, might do well to consider "soft" crime prevention measures. eg gravel paths make a distinctive noise especially in the middle of the night. Prickly bushes of the pyracantha type are a deterrent or walls topped with wobbly trellises with climbing plants make climbing over precarious. There's also something psychological about entering an enclosed area at the sides or back of a house: once inside an intruder is to some extent committed and it's not so credible to claim it was a mistake. None of this is certain, because some baddies stop at nothing.

Some have quite specific MO's which is why the MO system was devised. Also, this is one of the problems with custodial sentences because the inmates exchange notes.
pwa

Post by pwa »

In a former job of mine I kept grounds maintenance and landscaping stuff such as lawnmowers in shipping containers with top quality locks protected by steel plate boxes. So the thieves just used disc cutters to cut through the door hinges so the doors, still locked to each other, just fell off. If the thieves aren't worried about making noise they are going to be able to get in.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Presumably that was somewhere like a park, rather than in your garden/ backyard?

It's pretty much a fact of life that people don't report things like that, often assuming that what's happening is legit; with or without what's happening in France, a yellow hi-viz vest legitimates anything, even more so with a builders helmet. The more brazen the behaviour, the more likely it is to be accepted as ok. I fancy a report to the police about the loud racket might be more likely than the possibility of a crime in progress.
steady eddy

Post by steady eddy »

I have two Asgard stores - one for bikes and the other to take all that clutter that otherwise ends up on the garage floor like bags of compost, tents and other associated camping stuff, bulk packs of cat food etc. They are well made and easy to assemble. Condensation can be a bit of a problem if you are storing loose stuff on the floor. I have floored mine with sterling board and lined the lids with 25mm polystyrene you put in to floor slabs.Easily obtainable from Wickes or similar. It sticks to the metal ok with Gripfill or lots of silicone sealant. That seems to have solved the problem of dripping moisture
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

novicecycler wrote:Hi,
Looking for any suggestions for secure bikes storage to fit 4 bikes for all of the family.

I am currently looking at the asgard metal bike store but wondered if there are any alternatives, most others that I can see are for 3 bikes. I don't want a full size shed as this will be going in the front garden. Budget of around £500.

Thank you.

On my local facebook for sale page there were a couple of Tesco delivery van grocery units, basically the top section of the vans ... £150 each! easy open shutter, separate storage slots for 6 bikes, almost perfect, I was sorely tempted but too big for what you want.

I saw these wooden 'bike' sheds, 5ft 6 high x 5ft deep (so will do 4 bikes) x 7 foot wide https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7FT-X-5FT-WO ... xyqUpQ7E4B

Or you can buy 8ft x 3ft 3" galvanised corrugated sheets for £8/sheet and build a shed of the size you want for not very much.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

You could get said Tesco delivery unit and cut it down to suit. Would be easy job with angle grinder or circular saw with multi blade.
The back could then be covered with galvanised steel sheet and glued with polymer glue and self tapping screws?
Just a thought.

Cheers James
Last edited by Jamesh on 24 Feb 2019, 2:30pm, edited 1 time in total.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Whatever sort of storage or security you are considering, do a bit of checking on youtube. Typing in "peeling vans" immediately brought up this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ob4TBc7SL_0

That was the first result and there seemed to be plenty more.