Travel Insurance

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
pete75

Travel Insurance

Post by pete75 »

What's so significant about 4000 metres for insurance purposes? I've an Admiral travel policy and hiking and trekking have a 4000 metre altitude restriction. Although it covers cycling there is no altitude limit for the activity. The policy has no cycle related exclusions other than MTB downhill racing and extreme terrain riding - whatever that is.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
hamster

Re: Travel Insurance

Post by hamster »

4000m is the height of Mont Blanc?

Beyond that height people can start to get symptoms of altitude sickness, and generally medical evacuation becomes tricky (due to the nature of the terrain).
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

...........but does it include cycle touring? Policies often have a clause that bans something done as the sole part of the holiday. The example I've seen given is you can go diving, but you can't be on a diving holiday, eg living on a dive boat.

My policy specifically includes "cycle touring". Insureandgo.

Also, I'd be wary of "extreme terrain riding" - could be worth getting that clarified.

Sorry.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

simonhill wrote:...........but does it include cycle touring? Policies often have a clause that bans something done as the sole part of the holiday. The example I've seen given is you can go diving, but you can't be on a diving holiday, eg living on a dive boat.

My policy specifically includes "cycle touring". Insureandgo.

Also, I'd be wary of "extreme terrain riding" - could be worth getting that clarified.

Sorry.

I wouldn't have bought the policy if it excluded cycle touring. They have no limits on type or quantity of cycling other than downhill racing and extreme terrain which they define as off road with big drops and jumps.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
mjr

Post by mjr »

pete75 wrote:What's so significant about 4000 metres for insurance purposes? I've an Admiral travel policy and hiking and trekking have a 4000 metre altitude restriction. Although it covers cycling there is no altitude limit for the activity. The policy has no cycle related exclusions other than MTB downhill racing and extreme terrain riding - whatever that is.

No idea. I've noted before that holidaysafe has a 1000m restriction in viewtopic.php?f=16&t=111358
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
honesty

Post by honesty »

I’ll ask the underwriters at work but I assume it’s to do with ease of recovery and increase in risk.