Very early Brompton value

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
fastpedaller

Very early Brompton value

Post by fastpedaller »

Apologies in advance if I've put this in an incorrect forum. A friend's FIL has ill health and friend has been tasked with selling a vast collection of cycles, cameras etc. As care is expensive he's trying to realise a good price, and mentioned to me that there is a very early Brompton - he describes it as having steel rimmed wheels (a feature I was unaware of on Bromptons) which I guess may identify it as indeed being VERY early. Does anyone know if (being that early) gives it an even greater value than the usual high value Bromptons command?
fossala

Re: Very early Brompton value

Post by fossala »

The early ones with the large "hump" tend to command a premium. IIRC an early one sold last year for around £2000 on ebay, can't find the listing though. The challenge would be finding a buyer to pay that premium and that would often mean being willing to ship to Asia.
https://www.commuterbikeguide.co.uk/rea ... ton-bicycl
S2L

Post by S2L »

Why not sending a few photos and maybe the serial number to Brompton and see what they say about the age?

If it was a Mach 1 incarnation of some sort, surely there is a collector out there prepared to pay 4 figures for it. If it is simply old, but not very rare, then a lot less.

Check this too

https://www.brompton.com/about-us/history
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Condition is very important, mileage, original parts or upgrades?
Like to see pictures of it and the other bikes
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Condition is very important, mileage, original parts or upgrades?
Like to see pictures of it and the other bikes

Likely to be very good condition (I believe his Ti Brompton hasn't even been ridden!) a mercian tandem, all sorts that I haven't seen. My pal is (understandably) concentrating on caring for his FIL, so hasn't much time to devote to selling, however he'll have to clear it all to rent FIL's house. He's in a bit of a dilemma really, and I'm not nearby to give any sales help I'd be willing to carry out.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

fastpedaller wrote:Apologies in advance if I've put this in an incorrect forum. A friend's FIL has ill health and friend has been tasked with selling a vast collection of cycles, cameras etc. As care is expensive he's trying to realise a good price, and mentioned to me that there is a very early Brompton - he describes it as having steel rimmed wheels (a feature I was unaware of on Bromptons) which I guess may identify it as indeed being VERY early. Does anyone know if (being that early) gives it an even greater value than the usual high value Bromptons command?

Like said above, you can't expect any figure with a vague description.
A serial number could be a start. The complete feature of original parts for the year is another must.

The price of a collectible item is something that only the buyer can justify, so it may well be higher or lower than you are expecting to fetch.
Surely, a 5-digits serial number bike in decent order and complete list of original parts, will go for over £4-5k
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
drossall

Post by drossall »

fastpedaller wrote:He's in a bit of a dilemma really, and I'm not nearby to give any sales help I'd be willing to carry out.

Approach a local club for help? Especially if FiL was a member.