Overtaking roadies?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Jamesh

Re: Overtaking roadies?

Post by Jamesh »

My freind was out over the back of lkley towards Bolton abbey where he came across a couple of roadies out for a training ride, and had a lovely chat with them. Turns out it was the brownlee brothers. Where else can you go on a training session with the superstars of our sport?
Needless to say he didn't overtake them!!

Cheers James
pwa

Post by pwa »

I was once cycling home from work on my tourer with a couple of panniers, and on the final steep ascent, a lovely quiet lane, I heard a roadie catching me up. We crested the hill together, but instead of powering past, the roadie slowed for a moment to have a quick chat. Very civilised. The roadie was a young lady. Nicole Cooke, who was soon to become Olympic and World Road Race champion. When you are out cycling you are a cyclist, and that is something that should bring people together, if they let it.
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

I had my favourite type of thing happen to me at the weekend. I was riding a fairly undulating route, on my big old heavy hybrid. The inevitable ‘road warrior’ appeared, and broke his backside trying to get past, then instantly ‘blew up’ ( metaphorically speaking ) and was then just in the way, and going a lot slower than I wanted to be going. So I gently increased my pace to re passsed him when it was safe and gave him plenty of room( which is more than he did ) only to get a load of grief off him as I did. I left him to his huffing and puffing and wobbling about, and held my pace. About 5 minutes later I was stopped in a lay by checking the map, and within a couple of minutes, mr huff and puff came wobbling up the road, stopped, and had another mouthing off session. I let him get on with it, then just said, I’m sorry, if I knew it was a race I’d have actually made an effort, then I went on my way.
Graham

Post by Graham »

^ That is very strange.
What was the nature of "the load of grief" ?

i.e. What is there to complain about ?
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Marcus Aurelius wrote:I only to get a load of grief off him as I did. I left him to his huffing and puffing and wobbling about, and held my pace. About 5 minutes later I was stopped in a lay by checking the map, and within a couple of minutes, mr huff and puff came wobbling up the road, stopped, and had another mouthing off session. .

There’s a whole world out there I’m not aware of. What sort of things did he say and do you know why he felt the need to say what he did.
The most offended I’ve ever been was stopping to enquire if a guy on the roadside was alright to be greeted with "where’s your helmet?"
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Patrickpioneer

Post by Patrickpioneer »

I have the Teach yourself book of cycling, in it it says 'always be a sportsman' so with a bit of humor and banter lets all be 'sportsmen' and say hello to one and all and just have a jolly good time.
Pat
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

What's with all this anger and rivalry? I'm a simple senior citizen who rides his bike.
John
althebike

Post by althebike »

A couple of years ago I was huffing and puffing up this long drag , not racing up but riding my level best, a rider came flying up the hill, slowed and pulled up alongside gave a friendly greeting and then shot off into the distance, I could not understand how he managed to spin his gears so easily while I was in my easiest gear, and barely turning the pedals. The cyclist was David Millar.
Civility and respect need not be based on ability or status
How did he make it look so easy? :D
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

Graham wrote:^ That is very strange.
What was the nature of "the load of grief" ?

i.e. What is there to complain about ?

I think he must have been having a bad day. If he’d shot past and kept going, fair enough, but to struggle past, slow down, and then get the hump when I went on my way, was strange. I guess he didn’t like the fact his fancy pants road bike didn’t have a very good engine, and I had the audacity to ride away from him on my “piece of crap”.
gxaustin

Post by gxaustin »

I'm not sure I believe some of this. The OP was tired, because he's boasted about his 200 lengths (olympic sized pool no doubt) and his 8.5 hours exercise. As a result of his efforts he was riding his tourer slowly, one handed while he ate his pear, riding over a moor. Despite all these disadvantages he still passed some struggling cyclists on good bikes at double their speed. What speed could that have been to be half of the speed of a tired one handed rider of a tourer? It sounds as though they'd be quicker pushing them. Or had they already done 200 miles flat out and were crawling back? It sounds like he's pulling our leg to me.
And the bloke who got grief from a chap just because he overtook him. Really? Did the man say "Golly, I must be really unfit to be making such heavy weather of this ride". Or did he say "How dare you overtake me!"? It's a good story but I take it with a pinch of salt.
busb

Post by busb »

Definitely a humblebrag but an amusing one (to me). On a slightly sadder note, I rarely say hello to other cyclists these days because I nearly always am greeted by silence in return. I always reply on the few occasions when I am acknowledged though.
PH

Post by PH »

Patrickpioneer wrote:I have the Teach yourself book of cycling, in it it says 'always be a sportsman' so with a bit of humor and banter lets all be 'sportsmen' and say hello to one and all and just have a jolly good time.
Pat

I think that's part of the problem, I'm not a sportsman and it's wrong for others to assume I am.
AMMoffat

Post by AMMoffat »

I, on occasion, have a bit of a "race" on the way to/from work when either someone has passed me or I've passed them. I say "race" because I'm on a fairly heavy tourer usually carrying laptop and work clothes and I'm not fast over any sort of distance. Generally it is done with good humour as a bit of light entertainment and the other cyclist(s) and I usually end up having a chat when stopped at one of the inevitable sets of traffic lights. That was until the misery guts who deliberately swerved in front of me to try and knock me off. Some people have no sense of fun, or perhaps for some men being overtaken by a woman, or indeed anyone, is like a red rag to a bull :roll:
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

I overtook a 'roadie' today but in my defence he did look like he was older than me :lol:
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

A roadie up the road = a race surely. If they a considerably slower you pass with a cheery afternoon.
If almost as fast you pass and keep riding until your out of breath!!