Overtaking roadies?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
foxyrider

Re: Overtaking roadies?

Post by foxyrider »

Jamesh wrote:A roadie up the road = a race surely. If they a considerably slower you pass with a cheery afternoon.
If almost as fast you pass and keep riding until your out of breath!!

Think he was just out for a ride.

And indeed I did pass him easily when I caught up to him and did offer a cheery greeting as I passed.

I did sort of expect him to come back at me, maybe my dirty, mudguard and pannier laden steed put him off - nearly as embarrassing as being passed by an EBike!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

Hold on – what's embarrassing about being passed by an Ebike, happens to me all the time. I do get embarrassed when I'm overtaken by a runner though.
mjr

Post by mjr »

nirakaro wrote:Hold on – what's embarrassing about being passed by an Ebike, happens to me all the time. I do get embarrassed when I'm overtaken by a runner though.

Try being overtaken by the same runner multiple times! :lol:

To be fair, one of our tour group was having trouble with his seatpost slipping down, necessitating multiple stops, and the runner was training for a marathon, but even so...
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
gxaustin

Post by gxaustin »

perhaps for some men being overtaken by a woman, or indeed anyone, is like a red rag to a bull :roll:

You may be right. On an audax, I stayed on the wheel of some chap up an incline when my friend Kim decided we should speed up. Off she went and I peeled off after her, past the gent. He wasn't going to be overtaken by a woman so rode his heart out to get past only to blow up shortly after! As we breasted the summit I looked back to see him struggling far below. We didn't see him again. :lol:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

nirakaro wrote:Hold on – what's embarrassing about being passed by an Ebike, happens to me all the time. I do get embarrassed when I'm overtaken by a runner though.
I tried to catch one up and failed miserably.

As for a runner, I was up on the fringes of Dartmoor once, and a runner was ahead of me. It was up a long hill. Try as I might, I wasn't gaining on him, but I knew that the hill levelled out later so I could pass him.

The sod turned right off onto a side road before I managed to overhaul him. :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

Well I got well and truly caught today, whilst wearing full kit, by a pensioner on a hybrid. I was on a 'new' bike (my very first ride on a recent Gumtree purchase) and was just getting used to it whilst riding out to the meeting point of our Tuesday group ride. Fair play, he did say a cheery hello as he passed and with quite a difference in speed. Getting into my stride I slowly caught him back over the next mile or so and rode alongside him for a while, inviting him to join us... he's certainly fit enough!
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
alexnharvey

Post by alexnharvey »

althebike wrote:A couple of years ago I was huffing and puffing up this long drag , not racing up but riding my level best, a rider came flying up the hill, slowed and pulled up alongside gave a friendly greeting and then shot off into the distance, I could not understand how he managed to spin his gears so easily while I was in my easiest gear, and barely turning the pedals. The cyclist was David Millar.
Civility and respect need not be based on ability or status
How did he make it look so easy? :D

That answer depends on exactly how many years ago, doesn't it? Sorry if that was already your joke :oops:
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

I got passed by a roadie today. I had slowed slightly at a pedestrian island and he came past me at some speed between me and the pedestrian.

I thought 'hmm', and gave chase. Made it to the next give way point (about 1.5 miles) rather faster than I would normally do, 22mph rather than about 17mph. He said 'where are you going', and I told him, and we were both going the same way.

Anyway we made our way round the bend, and he said he had done 6000 feet of climbing which struck me as a slightly unnecessary piece of information as I'd already mentally established that he was faster, lighter and fitter than me. After that he said he was training for Flanders (isn't it flat?), which was a slightly more interesting piece of information and after it became clear I was holding him up, he went in front again and steadily pulled away.

I got home a couple of minutes quicker than otherwise, which was not a bad thing.
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

thelawnet wrote:I got passed by a roadie today. I had slowed slightly at a pedestrian island and he came past me at some speed between me and the pedestrian.

I thought 'hmm', and gave chase. Made it to the next give way point (about 1.5 miles) rather faster than I would normally do, 22mph rather than about 17mph. He said 'where are you going', and I told him, and we were both going the same way.

Why didn't you mention it to him?
mjr

Post by mjr »

thelawnet wrote:After that he said he was training for Flanders (isn't it flat?),

Yes, apart from the cobbled climbs: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=K-adsgpi22o&t=0:50
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.