that you can contribute to CycleTravel

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
whoof

that you can contribute to CycleTravel

Post by whoof »

I was wondering the other day how such a useful website is maintained without any adverts.

If you use CycleTravel.com and would like to make a donation you can.

https://cycle.travel/map
thelawnet

Re: that you can contribute to CycleTravel

Post by thelawnet »

I believe Mr. Fairhurst is a member of this parish so might better be able to comment, but they do seem to sell adverts.

https://cycle.travel/about/advertise
whoof

Post by whoof »

I'd forgotten that there are some adverts for accommodation on the opening page as my favourites link goes direct to the map. This page is advert free which makes a welcome change from many site which are almost unusable unless you can turn off the ads.

If Richard is about many thanks, much appreciated.
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

Thanks for the mention!

cycle.travel's main income is from commission on hotel bookings, plus several people have now been nice enough to pledge a donation through the new link, which is hugely appreciated. Between them these pay for the server rental, though not for my time developing it. I'd love to be able to work full-time on cycle.travel but that's a long way off! The first aim for me is to get more visitors to the site and so increase these two streams; the second is to develop a mobile app which would have a few optional paid-for features (generally people are happier to pay for apps than they are for stuff delivered via the web). Ideally I'd like to offer offline mapping for free - most apps like Komoot and Bikemap ask you to pay for that - but I need to do the sums and work out if it's affordable!

On ads: there's a couple of generic ads on the static parts of the site (the route guides etc.) though I may drop a few of them, particularly the Google ones - generally I think most Internet advertising is pretty intrusive and irrelevant, and I don't like the way Google uses it to track people round the web. If, say, Surly or Genesis or someone were to come along and offer me £50,000 to sponsor the route-planner for a year that'd be lovely, but otherwise I'm definitely not going to put banner/Google ad-type things on there.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides