Swap Drops To Flat Bars .... What Do I Need???

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
gxaustin

Re: Swap Drops To Flat Bars .... What Do I Need???

Post by gxaustin »

I converted a drop bar bike to flats. I used flat bar leavers (which were adjustable for just about any brakes) mated to the existing road bike brakes, and Shimano non group flat bar shifters. I got all the bits off Ebay s/h (but hardly used) and the cost was moderate (£60 from memory). That was only 9 speed though.
Another way of getting the bars higher is to swap out the fork for one with an uncut steerer tube, assuming your steerer tube has been cut down to suit the head tube. You could then get more spacers on.
I have my brake leavers set quite high on my drop bars (to suit my achey wrists) and virtually always brake from the hoods. I find no difficulty stopping. I tilt my bars up a bit too, which raises them a touch more.
I know someone who has an adjustable stem set high on his road bike and he says the steering is OK, since it was mentioned.
PH

Post by PH »

I ride drop and flat bar bikes. I see no reason why the riding position on either needs to be different. If you're uncomfortable on your current bars it's more likely to be because they're in the wrong place rather than the wrong type. There's also the possibility that your discomfort has nothing to do with the bars, checking the riding position and fit were correct would be my first step.
Apologies if this seems off topic, but you do ask what you need and IMO that starts with a clear understanding of why you need it.
yelfordrover

Post by yelfordrover »

Have a look at Soma Condor 2 drop bars. They have a centre rise of 50mm, a short reach of 63mm & a drop of only 100mm. They also have a slight flare. A bit costly at £100 but could get you 50mm higher. Don't know if that's enough. Re the stem riser option, that's only for an aluminium steerer. I guesssed that the Silex had a carbon steerer?