Pricing structure of that extra gear ( i.e. 11-sp)

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
thelawnet

Re: Pricing structure of that extra gear ( i.e. 11-sp)

Post by thelawnet »

freiston wrote:
Mick F wrote:For the uninitiated, the formula .................. Cadence rpm = Speed x 336

Sorry Mick, but I can't work out how to even use this - if my speed was 10mph does that mean my cadence would be 3360 rpm? ...and what about my gear ratio
:?

It's probably something with rods and hogsheads. :lol:
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

Mick F wrote:For the uninitiated, the formula .................. Cadence rpm = Speed Mph / Gear Inches x 336

Fixed ........ :D
freiston

Post by freiston »

Ah! - it works now! I reckon I'll still use an online calculator like http://www.gear-calculator.com if I have the means though :P
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Tigerbiten wrote:
Mick F wrote:For the uninitiated, the formula .................. Cadence rpm = Speed Mph / Gear Inches x 336

really it needs brackets to be clear, doesn't it?

Cadence rpm = (Speed Mph / Gear Inches) x 336

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Tigerbiten wrote:

Thanks,
That's what I meant! :lol:

This is my aid memoir.
(not that it works!)
Screen Shot 2019-03-04 at 07.19.51.png
Screen Shot 2019-03-04 at 07.19.51.png (4.83 KiB) Viewed 828 times
Mick F. Cornwall
pete75

Re: Pricing structure

Post by pete75 »

softlips wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
The utility cyclist wrote:........ATEOTD, it's a few quid spread out over a couple of years, why worry about it so much, maybe think of going back to 5 speed at the back of the extra cash is hurting you so much?

Is there really any need for this kind of personal comment?

The post is about older tech being far cheaper and in the OP opinion better value. The comment seems to imply go further back tech wise and save even more.

Fair comment IMHO.

Hardly fair considering the few decent quality NOS 5 speed blocks on sale eg Regina are very expensive. Going back to five speed would be more expensive not less so.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
pete75

Post by pete75 »

gregoryoftours wrote:
philvantwo wrote:I must say there are a lot of things said on this forum that are bang out of order. I'm on two shaving forums and there's nothing at all like this on either of them.
The only two people whose posts I make a point of reading are Mick F and Brucey. They never get involved in this tit for tat sarcasm.

That's because shaving forums are frequented by gentlemen.

Not necessarily some ladies shave as well.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Dura Ace 7800 was launched in 2004. I think it was the first 10-sp groupset[?]. Regardless of whether or not it was the first, I'd say by the time 11-sp is 15 years old (or even 13-sp) the prices will have come down to a similar level. You can call this amortisation of tooling and development costs or fashion tax according to your outlook.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

an 'expensive' 5s freewheel

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/freewheels/ventura-5-speed-freewheel-1428t/

in fairness they are getting rarer now and may eventually go the way of 3s and 4s freewheels.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

pete75 wrote:
softlips wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
Is there really any need for this kind of personal comment?

The post is about older tech being far cheaper and in the OP opinion better value. The comment seems to imply go further back tech wise and save even more.

Fair comment IMHO.

Hardly fair considering the few decent quality NOS 5 speed blocks on sale eg Regina are very expensive. Going back to five speed would be more expensive not less so.

We are talking functional, why are you comparing higher end racing kit like Regina when you can still buy stuff that works for a few quid and lasts longer than the softer high end models? :roll: Sorry but going to 5 speed at the back would be far cheaper than the 10 speed that the OP is stating is much cheaper than 11 speed, the basis of the thread.
5/6 speed chain that lasts for 10,000 miles plus £4
£6-£10 for a freewheel that will last a ridiculous number of miles comparatively, well over 10k miles, steel ring chainsets, again, will last for an absolute age and costs less than £20, maybe you forgot the ubiquitous ST bottom bracket, can still be bought for not very much and outlives the outboard HTII of 10 speed by several orders.
Gear shifters for 5 speed that are far cheaper too, I can pick up a set of new friction shifters for under a tenner, you can probably pull a set off an old dumped frame for nowt or even grab some new 'thumbies' for circa £5.

So factually you're wrong.
I can live with 5 speed if I had to, my late 50s Carlton has a 5 speed block, I ride it with a 1970s chainset and this allows me a decent range of gears, I'd prefer not to rid it as a commute, utility, winter ride, etc etc but if I had to it wouldn't stop me from riding, same as it didn't when I got my first racing bike as a kid that was a mass produced lump with basic components compared to now. But compared to what had gone before it was 'modern', 'lightweight' and for those extra gears the price was higher than what went before ...

People complaining/highlighting about the pricing structure and the costs of the 'extra gear' and/or 'modern' componentry/bikes, yet ignore that they and the vast majority of people riding bikes regularly, have been spending more money on that extra for an age. Just get over it, either spend the money or don't, if other people want to spend £20,000 on a bike made from the most exotic parts/frame available with the most number of gears at the back, let them, if they trundle at 10mph on it and only do 100 miles a year, or even if they hang it on the wall and don't ride it ever, so what. It's their money, their choice and that purchase doesn't make any impact into your or anyone else's life by doing so.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

The utility cyclist wrote:<SNIP - It's just above this one !!!. Why repeat the whole lot ??? >

It's rather pathetic you spent time writing all that in response to a throwaway remark. :lol:
PH

Post by PH »

pete75 wrote:It's rather pathetic you spent time writing all that in response to a throwaway remark. :lol:

Might have been better to throw it away before posting it.
You made a point that is inaccurate, the reply is detailed enough to make that clear, there really was no need for your response.
mig

Post by mig »

i agree to let people spend money on what they want but i do think the more people spend, the more expensive (usable/everyday/desirable) 'entry level' bikes will be and the less likely they will be taken up as daily transport.

"mum/dad....i want a bike to get to school.....but i want a XX model with 12 speed wifi gears....saw one in a magazine."
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

PH wrote:
pete75 wrote:It's rather pathetic you spent time writing all that in response to a throwaway remark. :lol:

Might have been better to throw it away before posting it.
You made a point that is inaccurate, the reply is detailed enough to make that clear, there really was no need for your response.

The post is a bit long but there is nothing objectionable in it
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
peetee

Post by peetee »

I think some people are missing the point. It's not about whether or not I can afford to buy and maintain an 11 speed groupset. The prices I have quoted are for two items that are at the top of the list for consumable parts. They also are very easy and cheap to manufacture with next to no assembly required unlike, say, a rear mech. 105 is a very popular groupset on production bikes and
I might hazard to say that, because of its position in the market at the £1000 threshold for bikes, it is ridden by a large proportion of new roadies who will be responsible for creating proportionally more wear and tear due to lack of experience (eg cross chaining). Never in its history has 105 retailed at twice the price of Tiagra and it seems to me that selling 11 speed component parts that will have undeniably high demand in relation to the rest of the group at such a mark-up is ripping off consumers.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.