Ascent replacement? Strava?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Mick F
Spambuster

Ascent replacement? Strava?

Post by Mick F »

I track my rides using my Garmins and upload them into Ascent on my Mac and I’ve had a variety of Garmin devices over the years and have records going back years and years.

Ascent is dead. The program is no longer supported and if and when I replace my Mac, Ascent will not work as the program is too old for the new Apple software.

Therefore, I need a (modern) replacement.
Is there another program I can buy and upload to replace Ascent?

What about using Strava online?
Trouble is, I’m not interested in the slightest about sharing my stats and tracks, and I’m definitely NOT and athlete nor interested in competition and comparison. Strava is designed for those things, and not for someone like me.

Can Strava be used solely for recording my rides as a storage and viewing device for me, and NOT for sharing?
Can I spend weeks(?) uploading my past rides?
Mick F. Cornwall
thelawnet

Re: Ascent replacement? Strava?

Post by thelawnet »

You can import GPX into Strava so I don't see why not
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Mick F wrote:I track my rides using my Garmins and upload them into Ascent on my Mac and I’ve had a variety of Garmin devices over the years and have records going back years and years.

Ascent is dead. The program is no longer supported and if and when I replace my Mac, Ascent will not work as the program is too old for the new Apple software.

Therefore, I need a (modern) replacement.
Is there another program I can buy and upload to replace Ascent?

What about using Strava online?
Trouble is, I’m not interested in the slightest about sharing my stats and tracks, and I’m definitely NOT and athlete nor interested in competition and comparison. Strava is designed for those things, and not for someone like me.

Can Strava be used solely for recording my rides as a storage and viewing device for me, and NOT for sharing?

No answer concerning the software you enquire of.

But I'd like to know why you collect all those cycling stats and how you employ them.

As context, it would be interesting to know if you collect historical parameters and data describing other of your life activities. Now many dinner plates have you washed? How many feet have you ascended when walking about here or there? What is the count of hairs on your head, through the ages, not to mention the average length. Etcetera.

By now you will realise I am being facetious. But there is a serious underlying question: if you're not sharing this ride data with other cyclists a la Strava, why do you collect it; and why not other sorts of activity data?

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
geomannie

Post by geomannie »

I use https://www.plotaroute.com/. Not only can you upload your tracks/elevation profiles, it's very good for creating routes. If you use the free version you are quite limited in the number of private routes you can have. Paying a small annual subscription means you can hide your routes from public gaze, if that is what you want to do.
geomannie
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Mick F wrote:

Yes.

You simply lock your rides to not share.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Thanks guys.
I'll check plotaroute and have another shufti at Strava.

Cugel wrote:But I'd like to know why you collect all those cycling stats and how you employ them.

As context, it would be interesting to know if you collect historical parameters and data describing other of your life activities. Now many dinner plates have you washed? How many feet have you ascended when walking about here or there? What is the count of hairs on your head, through the ages, not to mention the average length. Etcetera.

By now you will realise I am being facetious. But there is a serious underlying question: if you're not sharing this ride data with other cyclists a la Strava, why do you collect it; and why not other sorts of activity data?

Have a read at this thread.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=78276
I'm getting worse.
Scored 48 the other day.
Mick F. Cornwall
hamster

Post by hamster »

Endomondo works well for me without the Strava bragging stuff.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

geomannie wrote:I use https://www.plotaroute.com/. Not only can you upload your tracks/elevation profiles, it's very good for creating routes. If you use the free version you are quite limited in the number of private routes you can have. Paying a small annual subscription means you can hide your routes from public gaze, if that is what you want to do.
Just joined.

Looking at the info page regarding routes saved, it seems that so long as my routes are public, there's no limit.
How "public" is Public?

Going "Premium" I can only have 500. I have routes on Ascent going back to 2004 and I probably have 200 routes per year!
Screen Shot 2019-03-12 at 10.15.41.png
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

hamster wrote:Endomondo works well for me without the Strava bragging stuff.
It seems it's an app for a mobile phone.
I want to store my stuff on a computer or on an online data base.

Garmins are much better than mobile phones for tracking and using on a bike IMO.
Mick F. Cornwall
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

If I remember Mick you don't like Garmin's - "Connect" program.
I use it as a base for recording, storing rides and other parameters such as heart rate etc.
I have it linked to Strava which other people, who I choose, can see my rides. But as Paulatic says you just lock it for your own use.
I also keep a record of the mileages on a PC spreadsheet purely for yearly historical comparison purposes.
(although, if I remember, I sometimes note when the Fairy has paid me a visit or a new chain is fitted etc.)

Both "Connect" and Strava will show routes of previous rides and I only use the free versions.

Regarding uploading past rides I don't know if "Connect" would do it as a batch or you having to do it singly ?
You'll never know if you don't try it.
PH

Post by PH »

Mick F wrote:
hamster wrote:Endomondo works well for me without the Strava bragging stuff.
It seems it's an app for a mobile phone.

I use Endomondo to record all my mileage, keep it private and share those rides I want to Strava, use both on the PC without using either on a phone.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Some forums have suggested Rubitrack
hamster

Post by hamster »

Mick F wrote:It seems it's an app for a mobile phone.

Garmins are much better than mobile phones for tracking and using on a bike IMO.

You can upload gpx files to your account on endomondo.com so don't need to do data logging by phone.

I record GPS tracks when racing on my boat with a marine Garmin to Endomondo, but generally use the phone when riding as it's a 'swiss army knife' device with mapping, photos, ticketing, payment and even making calls.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Cunobelin wrote:Some forums have suggested Rubitrack
I didn't know that was still going, and back in the day, I thought it was a PC version of Ascent.
Seems like it's Mac compatible now.

I'll check out the trial version.
hamster wrote:
Mick F wrote:It seems it's an app for a mobile phone.

You can upload gpx files to your account on endomondo.com so don't need to do data logging by phone.
Thanks, I'll check it out.
Mick F. Cornwall
S2L

Post by S2L »

You can use Strava as a container... you will only appear on the feed of the people you connect with and you might decide not to connect with anybody... just choose private settings