pedels and clips

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
kevin01041961

pedels and clips

Post by kevin01041961 »

Hi , can you help, I'm fairly new to cycling so I know this question people will be sick of but I have to ask, what's the best for me pedals and clip for road and trail? I have problems cycling as it is having had a road traffic accident some years ago , to be honest I'm scared stiff of falling as I have a new hip and two new knees,
To add to the problem I'm 6ft 8 tall size 14 shoe? so I don't want the tiny little clip type, I know its a hard question to ask but some advice please. believe me any common sense approach would be acceptable

My thanks
mjr

Re: pedels and clips

Post by mjr »

kevin01041961 wrote:to be honest I'm scared stiff of falling as I have a new hip and two new knees,

I'll probably get flamed for this, but surely it's not worth the risk of clips then?

FWIW, I still ride lots (often and sometimes 100ish miles in a day) but I stopped using clips years ago.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Totally agree with MJR why do you want clips, A large flat MTB type pedal may be the better option for you.
NUKe

Post by reohn2 »

I too agree and would recommend DMR V8 flat pedal:- https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-p ... 4sQAvD_BwE
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I agree that MTB type pedals like r2 has posted are probably to look seriously at.
With pins you might like to consider what sole of shoe you have whether if the pins will stick out too far, moding them is relatively straightforward. (shortening)
I have some cheap oversize pedals nocking around and will look out later. Specifically for their overall size to compare with others available, which will suit your big feet :)

I take a size 9.5-10 say but struggle with standard large toe clips and standard size pedals.
I have been using clips all the time for the last 44 years, never went to clipless.
Sometimes you might be better off as said with just pedals, in your case probably safer all round.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

mjr wrote:
kevin01041961 wrote:to be honest I'm scared stiff of falling as I have a new hip and two new knees,

I'll probably get flamed for this, but surely it's not worth the risk of clips then?

FWIW, I still ride lots (often and sometimes 100ish miles in a day) but I stopped using clips years ago.

The OP did actually say they didn't want the "tiny little clip type" this will mean SPD cleats which have a clip retention system (SPD and Road variants are NOT clipless!)
wide platform pedals with some studs as per the link will be fine
mjr

Post by mjr »

The utility cyclist wrote:
mjr wrote:

The OP did actually say they didn't want the "tiny little clip type" this will mean SPD cleats which have a clip retention system (SPD and Road variants are NOT clipless!)

You can still end up stuck in old style clips you know

I'd say go rubber grips and avoid the shin and calf injuries.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
pwa

Post by pwa »

kevin01041961 wrote:Hi , can you help, I'm fairly new to cycling so I know this question people will be sick of but I have to ask, what's the best for me pedals and clip for road and trail? I have problems cycling as it is having had a road traffic accident some years ago , to be honest I'm scared stiff of falling as I have a new hip and two new knees,
To add to the problem I'm 6ft 8 tall size 14 shoe? so I don't want the tiny little clip type, I know its a hard question to ask but some advice please. believe me any common sense approach would be acceptable

My thanks

In your position I would just use normal flat pedals of some sort, at least until you feel that cycling has become normal for you.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mjr wrote:I'd say go rubber grips and avoid the shin and calf injuries.

I've found rubber grips on pedals very slippery in wet conditions,that's the reason I swapped them for V8's,I've found the V8's very grippy with no slip at all the foot stays put.
Last edited by reohn2 on 14 Mar 2019, 8:43am, edited 1 time in total.
W H Auden
Janwal

Post by Janwal »

https://winstanleysbikes.co.uk/power-gr ... black-9-16
I used these before clips and had no probs at all with them. You adjust the length and tighten up on the pedal,if like me there is a lot of excess I just trimmed it off. Though with your foot size there won’t be much spare ! You put your foot in and give a slight twist and push to tighten it against your shoe,which can be any type of shoe. They feel very much like clips as you can pull up aswell as push down. They are made of conveyor belt material so are very robust.
mjr

Post by mjr »

reohn2 wrote:

I've found rubber grips on pedal very slippery in wet conditions,that's the reason I swapped them for V8's,I've the V8's very grippy with no slip at all and the foot stays put.

And I thought last time we discussed this, I asked if it was actual rubber or that fake resin rubber-like stuff which is very common now but offers little grip. Did you reply?
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

mjr wrote:

I'd say go rubber grips and avoid the shin and calf injuries.

Have you experienced these shin and calf injuries yourself?
It’s not something that’s ever happened to me with V8's on 4 bikes. I can also confirm the soles on my shoes aren’t looking ragged yet either.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

How about a stubby toe clip without the strap?

Cheers James
kevin01041961

Post by kevin01041961 »

I've tried toe clips with very little success, as new to cycling , well I say new but I did have a Chopper back in the 70's! anyway the clips seem to spin over with the downward weight and I seem to struggle, my feet quiet big make it difficult to keep the pedals in one place, the suggestions are great and my thanks, I think this summer get the miles in and confidence will or should follow, I want to thank you all for talking about a subject that comes up all to often and may have become boring
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mjr wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

I've found rubber grips on pedal very slippery in wet conditions,that's the reason I swapped them for V8's,I've the V8's very grippy with no slip at all and the foot stays put.

And I thought last time we discussed this, I asked if it was actual rubber or that fake resin rubber-like stuff which is very common now but offers little grip. Did you reply?

Don't remember the thread,perhaps a link would help.
W H Auden