\what happened OP for Chinese frame?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
fastpedaller

\what happened OP for Chinese frame?

Post by fastpedaller »

I recall a while ago there was a (sometimes heated :shock: ) discussion on here where the original poster (at least I think it was the OP :roll: ) was extolling the benefits of buying a frame from China and making comparisons with UK frames. After a while some of the text disappeared, but I believe the main 'fan' of buying from China was about to order one, hence my note in case there has been some feedback I've missed :wink:
thelawnet

Re: \what happened OP for Chinese frame?

Post by thelawnet »

fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

thelawnet wrote:Are you referring to this?

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=126794&start=15#p1303011

Well done - yes that's the thread.
I wonder if any brave soul has purchased a Williams frameset, and what they thought of it when it arrived /was ridden?
Ivor Tingting

Post by Ivor Tingting »

Pretty much all frames for mass produced bikes are made in Taiwan which although NOT China isn't far away. In fact a bike frame made in Taiwan with a big name bike brand on it is going to be well made. But if you want a British made frame and are prepared to pay then you can go bespoke £££££. Mainland China I have no idea. Given there are regular scandals about what some dodgy manufacturers have substituted important materials for substandard ones or cut corners, you takes your chances and pays your money. Why resurrect the thread? Are you thinking of buying a bike frame from China?
"Zat is ze reel prowoking qwestion Mr Paxman." - Peer Steinbruck, German Finance Minister 31/03/2009.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

Ivor Tingting wrote:Pretty much all frames for mass produced bikes are made in Taiwan which although NOT China isn't far away. In fact a bike frame made in Taiwan with a big name bike brand on it is going to be well made. But if you want a British made frame and are prepared to pay then you can go bespoke £££££. Mainland China I have no idea. Given there are regular scandals about what some dodgy manufacturers have substituted important materials for substandard ones or cut corners, you takes your chances and pays your money. Why resurrect the thread? Are you thinking of buying a bike frame from China?

Not think of buying one - I have an On-One Pompino and a Spa Tourer, both of which I believe are made in Taiwan, and I suspect come out of the same factory, judging by the detail. My interest was really to see whether the OP's (IMHO over-inflated) expectations were met. Maybe a touch of shadenfreuder(sp?) creeping in on my part :oops: . I know it's not always possible to tell from photos, but the Williams frame didn't look to be worth a carrot to me. :twisted:
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

Ivor Tingting wrote: Taiwan which although NOT China

Ooooh, careful! You can get into a lot of trouble suggesting that. :shock:
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

When will Canuk make an appearance?
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

fastpedaller wrote:When will Canuk make an appearance?

Not been active for over a month......probably spending all his winnings from the bets on Brexit :lol:
Ivor Tingting

Post by Ivor Tingting »

nirakaro wrote:
Ivor Tingting wrote: Taiwan which although NOT China

Ooooh, careful! You can get into a lot of trouble suggesting that. :shock:

Err ........ I'm trembling with fear :lol: Not.
"Zat is ze reel prowoking qwestion Mr Paxman." - Peer Steinbruck, German Finance Minister 31/03/2009.