Is this forum really worth getting sacked over?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
not4u

Is this forum really worth getting sacked over?

Post by not4u »

Hi you,

i don't comment much...i like to sit in the background unseen and watch instead...

I have a little bit of a problem whilst i am at work.. i can't stop thinking about bikes.. all types of bikes..

It is that obsessive i am on here whilst i am getting paid at work and being disciplined due to no fault of my own but an cycling forum addict.

I am even trying to log on every possible chance i can get due to my work laptop being bugged.. Is this forum really worth getting sacked over?

I need help and tips on how to stop.. my colleagues are on to me..................
reohn2

Re: Is this forum really worth getting sacked over?

Post by reohn2 »

A trickcyclist could help with the therapy :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
David9694

Post by David9694 »

Either you’re finding your job dead boring or we’re a terribly interesting bunch.
Spa Audax Ti Ultegra; Genesis Equilibrium 853; Raleigh Record Ace 1983; “Raleigh Competition”, “Raleigh Gran Sport 1982”; “Allegro Special”, Bob Jackson tourer, Ridley alu step-through with Swytch front wheel; gravel bike from an MB Dronfield 531 frame.
not4u

Post by not4u »

David9694 wrote:Either you’re finding your job dead boring or we’re a terribly interesting bunch.

I think it may be that i am the boring one... :shock:
gaz

Post by gaz »

not4u wrote:I have a little bit of a problem whilst i am at work.. i can't stop thinking about bikes.. all types of bikes..

Perhaps a change of employment is in order: https://www.cyclinguk.org/jobs
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
MarcusT

Post by MarcusT »

The job is just a day gig.
Every time I look outside and say "what am I doing here when I could be riding?"
Then I remember that these long, trudging days pay for what I love to do.

One day it will end, I will retire, then I'll be painting my own house, doing yard work, retiling the bathroom saying "what am I doing here when I could be riding?"
I wish it were as easy as riding a bike
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

MarcusT wrote:The job is just a day gig.
Every time I look outside and say "what am I doing here when I could be riding?"

One day it will end, I will retire, then I'll be painting my own house, doing yard work, retiling the bathroom saying "what am I doing here when I could be riding?"

Better off saving up then pack the job in and ride around the world :)
W H Auden
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

reohn2 wrote:
MarcusT wrote:The job is just a day gig.

Better off saving up then pack the job in and ride around the world :)

Now now, isn't that like offering drugs to an addict :shock:
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

francovendee wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Better off saving up then pack the job in and ride around the world :)

Now now, isn't that like offering drugs to an addict :shock:

Seeing as you put it like that,yes.
Great addiction though innit? :D
W H Auden
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

Have you been reading my diaries? :(
David9694

Post by David9694 »

Maybe you should open a bike shop - then all your distractions if you still have them would be healthy ones!
Spa Audax Ti Ultegra; Genesis Equilibrium 853; Raleigh Record Ace 1983; “Raleigh Competition”, “Raleigh Gran Sport 1982”; “Allegro Special”, Bob Jackson tourer, Ridley alu step-through with Swytch front wheel; gravel bike from an MB Dronfield 531 frame.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

View the forum using your smartphone, whilst making frequent visits to the toilet. You can blame a weak bladder.

Or work from home and browse on your tablet or home computer whilst being logged on to your work laptop.

You also need to perfect the art of appearing to do a lot, whilst not doing very much at all.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Witterings

Post by Witterings »

David9694 wrote:Maybe you should open a bike shop - then all your distractions if you still have them would be healthy ones!

I toyed with this idea about for about 3 seconds myself but wonder if that'd be when your hobby becomes your job and it takes a lot of the fun out of it and at the rate bike shops are closing at the moment not sure it's something I'd want to be considering ... he'd probably be out of a job quicker than taking his chances getting caught at work :-)

Slightly more serious though ... imagine you were the boss paying someone to work and they spent their life trawling through the web whether it be hobby related or social media ... wouldn't e long before I was questioning why I was paying them.
David9694

Post by David9694 »

TrevA wrote:You also need to perfect the art of appearing to do a lot, whilst not doing very much at all.

Lessons available at very reasonable rates!

Perhaps there’s a new thread coming on here : “is there any money in bikes?” Selling them, refrbishing them fixing them, training people to fix them?

My starter for 10 is “no.” E.g. Sell the customer the right bike, you won’t see him again for five+ years. Ok, maybe he’ll need some tyres, a chain, brake shoes or new handlebar tape in that time. He’ll probably take up a lot of your time with queries that don’t lead to a sale as well though.
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

No it is not.