Making a PDF map from a GPX file

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
atlas_shrugged

Making a PDF map from a GPX file

Post by atlas_shrugged »

Does anyone know how to make a high quality PDF map from a GPX file using a windows PC.

I have a GPX file (in route format) and I have had a number of requests from individuals who would like a PDF of the map to take with them on the bike. This is for folks who do not use computers and so giving a set of instructions so that they can visualise the route on a computer screen will not help. They just want a map with the route highlighted.

The route is Oxford to Milton Keynes so the map needs to be very detailed.
philvantwo

Re: Making a PDF map from a GPX file

Post by philvantwo »

Mick F will know!
whoof

Post by whoof »

You can upload a GPX file onto Cycletravel and create a PDF map from that.
https://cycle.travel/post/973
mjr

Post by mjr »

Viking is available for Windows, so my method described at viewtopic.php?p=1314627#p1314627 should work. It's not the simplest but it is very powerful and allows lots of tweaks if you're willing to fiddle. I hope to use it to produce local printed cycle maps in the very near future.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
atlas_shrugged

Post by atlas_shrugged »

@woof

Thanks. I had to register on Cycletravel. Unfortunately it does not accept GPX files in route point format (gives error: no trackpoint found).

I prefer route point format for this journey because it is idealised in places (i.e. no route exists yet). Also the route format gives a much smaller file size as it contains fewer gpx coordinates.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

From an Online routing programme like bike Map load your route. Print to a PDF rather than a printer and you have what you require. You will need to instal a PDF writer if you don’t have one.

Alternatively you can cut and paste into a doc using Snip (part of the windows utilities ) . If you are using this method you can break the route down into sections to give a more detailed view of the route and you can annotate the route.
NUKe

Post by Mick F »

philvantwo wrote:Mick F will know!
You're too kind! :lol:

What I'd do, is to create the exact route you want and take screenshots of it.
One of the overall route showing start and end, then zoom in and do a series of screenshots along the route. Crop each one to suit and save them as individual PDFs.

Use any online route software you want. I prefer BikeHikeUK as you can use OS mapping, and if you toggle the map sizes, the OS map is a bigger part of the web page.
Mick F. Cornwall
freiston

Post by freiston »

You can upload a gpx file to https://www.osola.org.uk/rides/gpsuploader.htm (under "View British GPX files on OS Maps") and it will give you a window of the route on a OS map. you could go full screen and take a screenshot which you could then use to create a pdf file using the software of your choice - either by pasting into a word processor such as LibreOffice Writer or ms Word and saving as pdf - or you could use a pdf compiler/printer instead of a word processer package (as has been suggested in a previous post). You could also paste it into a graphics editor and save it as a jpg to print as a picture and not bother with pdf. Using zoom levels and you could produce what would effectively be different scale maps and you could print different sections at different scales on separate sheets.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I like that site! :D :D :D
Bookmarked.
Thank you very much.
Mick F. Cornwall
robgul

Post by robgul »

thelawnet wrote:https://www.plotaroute.com/

Having been creating a series of routes for an upcoming ride across Europe I've used Plotaroute to create excellent pdf maps - the basic stuff is free, if you need a multi-page map then you have to pay a modest amount to "join" Plotaroute.

There's no doubt that it's the best facility I've found over about 15 years of playing with maps and routes.

If you want to PM me I can give you my email to send a sample file and I'll make a sample pdf for you and send it back. [But today as I'm off on the cycle ride from Friday AM]

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
freiston

Post by freiston »

I gave plotaroute a go after I made my earlier post and I am impressed. I did let it work out a route from my home to a venue the other side of the city (with no or few waypoints in between) that most cycle route plotters will avoid the city centre to get there and it did avoid the city centre but it took me on some roads that are a bit too busy for my liking. For getting a route onto "paper", it looks really good.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

It's likely that anything that relies on screen shots won't be high quality.

The basic problem is that screen shots are screen resolution (~96 dpi) whilst high quality printed output is around 300dpi, which would leave you wanting a screen 3x as wide & 3x as high as your piece of paper.
freiston

Post by freiston »

andrew_s wrote:It's likely that anything that relies on screen shots won't be high quality.

The basic problem is that screen shots are screen resolution (~96 dpi) whilst high quality printed output is around 300dpi, which would leave you wanting a screen 3x as wide & 3x as high as your piece of paper.

I would say that that is not really the problem. Issues of monitor and printer resolutions aside, most people can print on no larger than A4 or possibly A3. You're not going to get a lot of miles on a sheet that small unless the scale is so small that much detail is lost anyway. Oxford to Milton Keynes is about 30 miles as the crow flies - or about 6 foot on a 1:25 000 map/3 foot on a 1:50 000 map. The OP says "the map needs to be very detailed". In my mind, a very detailed map for cycling means 1:25 000 - that would mean a minimum of two OS sheets (#180 & #192) or a lot of print-outs.
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

Plus 1 for Osola.