Relative weights of Spa touring and Audax bikes with and without discs

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
pwa

Re: Relative weights of Spa touring and Audax bikes with and without discs

Post by pwa »

horizon wrote:
531colin wrote:
Now to Horizon's fit.
I'm not sure about the long femur bit.

Sale details on ebay for 54 cm Spa tourer
Medium Size. I'm 5ft 10 with inside leg 31 inches and is shown set up for those dimensions. Could suit someone a little taller or smaller. 54cm frame.

I'm 5ft 10 with inside leg 34 inches so you can see the problem. I mention the femur because I'm guessing that a long leg would simply involve raising the saddle but a long femur involves moving the saddle back, a trickier proposition with the obvious effect on handlebar position.

Longer cranks must partly sort that, along with a shorter stem. I have a 70mm stem on one bike and steering feels fine. Have you got big feet too?
horizon

Post by horizon »

pwa wrote:Longer cranks must partly sort that, along with a shorter stem. I have a 70mm stem on one bike and steering feels fine. Have you got big feet too?

Thanks for that.

1. Stem length: I already have the shortest stem that I know of (70 mm or less) and it has helped a lot.
2. Longer cranks is interesting but (a) I am wary of changing this (b) Not sure about it.
3. Yes, size 11 feet snugly placed just where I want them on the cleats.

As I say, the riding position at the back of the bike is perfect - it just makes the reach too long. I'm now fairly confident that a different frame is going to close the gap. Shame that I can't just yank something into a different position to test it out.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

531colin wrote:
Samuel D wrote:While we’re on tubing, do the 54 cm and 58 cm Spa Audax rim-braked models use the same tubing?

Yeah, same tubing, even the same diameter top and down tubes.
Depending how the butted lengths work out vs. the tube lengths, you might end up having all the extra tube lengths in thicker wall.

Thanks for the confirmation. Point taken on how the tubes may vary disproportionately with length depending on where the butted lengths fall.
pwa

Post by pwa »

horizon wrote:
pwa wrote:Longer cranks must partly sort that, along with a shorter stem. I have a 70mm stem on one bike and steering feels fine. Have you got big feet too?

Thanks for that.

1. Stem length: I already have the shortest stem that I know of (70 mm or less) and it has helped a lot.
2. Longer cranks is interesting but (a) I am wary of changing this (b) Not sure about it.
3. Yes, size 11 feet snugly placed just where I want them on the cleats.

As I say, the riding position at the back of the bike is perfect - it just makes the reach too long. I'm now fairly confident that a different frame is going to close the gap. Shame that I can't just yank something into a different position to test it out.

I have gone through a similar process in the past in a quest for a position that does not give me lower back pain, and I got there with a short stem and the shortest reach shallow drop bars I could find. I avoided going down frame sizes because doing so risked having smaller "front centres" with a toe overlap.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Why are we looking at an E bay advertisement for a Spa bike?
Do we all mean the same thing by "inside leg"?
I take a 31" trouser, so crotch to floor is approaching 34".
Its maybe 10 years ago, but I think this photo of a 54 Spa Tourer is set up for me..https://www.spacycles.co.uk/smsimg/uploads/tourer/5434tourer.jpg
Back then, I was over 5'10" in my socks, now I struggle to make 5'9" in shoes.
There are photos of me on an early prototype 54cm Elan on my bike-fitting page (before we extended the head tube) and me on a production one here https://www.flickr.com/photos/52358536@N06/36063469470/in/album-72157624571269648/
Deda do stems in regular 10mm increments down to 60mm, after that there is Deda "Cortissimo" at 45mm..said to be a "fixie" stem, who knows why.
Of course, if you fit a 40 degree stem, the length is measured along the stem, not horizontally, so a 70mm 40 degree stem is only about 35mm horizontally.