Carrying food in a musette on long rides

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Samuel D

Carrying food in a musette on long rides

Postby Samuel D » 28 Mar 2019, 3:06pm

As the weather improves I run into the problem of not having enough sturdy pockets to carry all the food I need for an all-dayer through the wilderness (i.e. France beyond city limits on a Sunday).

Bags of various sorts are available for the bicycle, but they tend to be clumsy, rattle over rough ground, and look ugly. So I was wondering if I could carry a bag on my person. The classic feed musette weighs next to nothing and seems like it might be comfortable to wear as long as its contents didn’t weigh much either – which they wouldn’t in the case of sandwiches.

Something like this.

What say ye?

Paulatic

Re: Carrying food in a musette on long rides

Postby Paulatic » 28 Mar 2019, 3:13pm

I got mine after a feed station. It’s ideal to carry shopping from the last shop to the campsite but I wouldn’t like to carry for any distance. I’m sure it would become annoying.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 28 Mar 2019, 3:22pm

I used to use something like that when commuting to work at the office. Sarnies etc for lunch.
Just a square cloth bag on a strap. I hung it over my left shoulder diagonally so it sat behind me on my right. It would slip round a few times, but it became sort of automatic and unthinking to push it back.
It was simple, cheap, and very effective.
Mick F. Cornwall

foxyrider

Postby foxyrider » 28 Mar 2019, 3:31pm

Once upon a time it's what we all did but these days there are much better alternatives to carrying on your back.

Not every bag is ugly, rattles or falls off on rough terrain.

If you want to be uncomfortable by all means use a musette but it really isn't a great solution.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!

Norman H

Postby Norman H » 28 Mar 2019, 3:53pm

Reminds me of how many local bike shops have closed. I can remember when each one would sell musettes, complete with their own branding.

Mick F has highlighted the main drawback, they have an annoying habit of slipping round and dangling in front of you. I suppose a couple of tapes from each corner, tied around the waist, would solve that problem.

iandriver

Postby iandriver » 28 Mar 2019, 3:58pm

A folding back pack is a better bet probably like

I've got one of these for brief excursions while away.
https://www.alpkit.com/products/atom

I'm in the camp that finds shoulder bags and packs unpleasant to ride in full stop for anything more that 30 mins or so. With so many on bike luggage options around now, I'd much rather do that, I especially like the baguette holders like this: https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CCPDWFB/p ... -frame-bag.

If you are the sort that can stand these things, I'd have thought at least having a bag secure on your back would be good on long days out.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....

tatanab

Postby tatanab » 28 Mar 2019, 4:16pm

How big a bag do you need? https://forcesuniformandkit.co.uk/colle ... royal-mail

large_red_shoulder_bad_1_2048x2048.jpg

Back in the mists of time, very early 70s, there was a bit of a fuss because the CTC had penalised a rider in the BCTC for using a musette instead of a proper saddlebag.

For me, I would never willingly carry a bag on my back when cycling. A saddlebag or a modern saddlepack will easily suffice, especially since modern riders like to carry a small multitool instead of a set of metric spanners as we did all those years ago. Most of us used a musette to keep a few bits together, such as maps and diary, and then stuff the musette into a saddlebag. I think I may have used a musette when going out to ride evening time trials, I'd put a jacket and so on into it, but not for anything longer.

Bmblbzzz

Postby Bmblbzzz » 28 Mar 2019, 4:22pm

Norman H wrote:Reminds me of how many local bike shops have closed. I can remember when each one would sell musettes, complete with their own branding.

Mick F has highlighted the main drawback, they have an annoying habit of slipping round and dangling in front of you. I suppose a couple of tapes from each corner, tied around the waist, would solve that problem.

At which point you've got a messenger bag.

Bmblbzzz

Postby Bmblbzzz » 28 Mar 2019, 4:24pm

tatanab wrote:Back in the mists of time, very early 70s, there was a bit of a fuss because the CTC had penalised a rider in the BCTC for using a musette instead of a proper saddlebag.

That makes the UCI look progressive.

Samuel D

Postby Samuel D » 28 Mar 2019, 4:34pm

foxyrider wrote:Once upon a time it's what we all did but these days there are much better alternatives to carrying on your back.

If you want to be uncomfortable by all means use a musette but it really isn't a great solution.

No, I’d rather be comfortable. But how uncomfortable can a weightless bag be with three sandwiches in it? If I had any weight to carry it would certainly be on the bicycle. I already have a tool roll under the saddle (also because the small bags I tried could not be silenced no matter how many rags I used for padding; the bags themselves always moved against the saddle rails and seatpost. Plus they were ugly. The tool roll can be tightened into total submission and looks neater).

What bags have you in mind?

(EDIT: missing word.)
Last edited by Samuel D on 28 Mar 2019, 4:42pm, edited 1 time in total.

whoof

Postby whoof » 28 Mar 2019, 4:39pm

Samuel D wrote:
foxyrider wrote:Once upon a time it's what we all did but these days there are much better alternatives to carrying on your back.

No, I’d rather be comfortable. But how uncomfortable can a weightless bag be with three sandwiches in it? If I had any weight to carry it would certainly be on the bicycle. I already have a tool roll under the saddle (also because the small bags I tried could not be silenced no matter how many rags I used for padding; the bags themselves always moved against the saddle rails and seatpost. Plus they were ugly. The tool roll can be tightened into total submission and looks neater).

What bags have you mind?

A musette with sandwiches in a probably as uncomfortable as a saddle bag is ugly.

Samuel D

Postby Samuel D » 28 Mar 2019, 4:41pm

iandriver wrote:A folding back pack is a better bet probably like

I've got one of these for brief excursions while away.
https://www.alpkit.com/products/atom

I'm in the camp that finds shoulder bags and packs unpleasant to ride in full stop for anything more that 30 mins or so. With so many on bike luggage options around now, I'd much rather do that, I especially like the baguette holders like this: https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CCPDWFB/p ... -frame-bag.

Those two options (backpack and frame bag) are intolerably ugly and geeky. I have some vanity! Besides, looking at it, I can see there’s no way that frame bag will be quiet.

tatanab wrote:How big a bag do you need? https://forcesuniformandkit.co.uk/colle ... royal-mail

A lot smaller than that. Three big sandwiches.

So few like the musette, eh. That’s discouraging, although for two quid I should probably try it myself.

Samuel D

Postby Samuel D » 28 Mar 2019, 4:42pm

whoof wrote:A musette with sandwiches in a probably as uncomfortable as a saddle bag is ugly.

Touché!

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 28 Mar 2019, 4:48pm

whoof wrote:A musette with sandwiches in a probably as uncomfortable as a saddle bag is ugly.

Ageed,I do like my Alpkit Possum though have been toying with changing it for a Blackburn Outpost.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

mjr

Postby mjr » 28 Mar 2019, 4:55pm

Samuel D wrote:Something like this.

What say ye?

Canvas is too thick for a musette IMO. You have to remember that it's basically going to add two extra layers of cloth to a bit of your back or bum and extra layers = extra warm. And in black! Wow. That might work in Yorkshire spring, but seems a bit hot for France.

I have a thin cotton musette, "Original C&G Item No: P1202". It's a commemorative one from La Savoureuse En Condroz so I'm keeping it, but I expect you can find new or unwanted similar give-away ones online. I don't use my musette much. It moves too much as soon as there's anything more than a few sheets of paper in it. I prefer to keep extra food in my little insulated handlebar bag, or the side pockets of my long flap saddlebag. They attach quite tightly (bar bag with velcro, saddlebag with cam-buckle straps) and don't make much noise. Maybe it's ugly but less so than having a musette flopping around the rider all day. I think there's a reason why racers don't keep hold of them for long - they really are quite annoying to ride with!

Edit to add: I used to have a Phil Corley Cycles team-fan musette which could be hung from the top tube, but we're talking 30+ years ago and it still moved around a bit on horizontal top tubes!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.