Eurosport

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
KM2

Eurosport

Postby KM2 » 31 Mar 2019, 9:42am

I watch the cycling classics on my tablet but was wondering if anyone has connected the tablet or phone to a larger screen tv? HDMI connection on the tv.

mjr

Re: Eurosport

Postby mjr » 31 Mar 2019, 11:29am

I think you're looking for "casting" or "screen mirroring". Needs a compatible TV with your mobile device. Watching on a TV is easier IMO.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

Paulatic

Postby Paulatic » 31 Mar 2019, 11:37am

I used to connect iPad to tv through hdmi. ( as usual for apple it’s an expensive little connector :D ) Then I remembered an old Kodi box sitting doing nothing. Installed Eurosport app into Kodi and get excellent viewing.
Hope one day the Freesat box, or an Apple TV, will accept the Eurosport app. Could be sometime I guess
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/

thelawnet

Postby thelawnet » 31 Mar 2019, 11:45am

Assuming you have a paid Eurosport subscription, I'd recommend an Amazon Fire stick. They work pretty well and it's worth owning some such device

nicmarsh

Postby nicmarsh » 31 Mar 2019, 12:29pm

Assuming you have a paid eurosport subscription, you can cast from your tablet or phone to a TV that has a google chrome cast dongle plugged into HDMI port. If using Apple phone / iPad you will probably find it will not work if using a lead (apple lead is about £50) straight into HDMI port.

cycleruk

Postby cycleruk » 31 Mar 2019, 2:12pm

I use a Chromecast stick.
Will accept signal from phone/tablet /PC etc.
Obviously you need a Eurosport subscription.
There's no such thing as a tailwind.
It's either a headwind, or you're going well.

comfortablynumb

Postby comfortablynumb » 31 Mar 2019, 4:34pm

I've had Eurosport for a few years now. Whilst a chromecast should be good, it's excellent with YouTube for example, the Android Eurosport app is very buggy.
Lots of people are complaining that the playback keeps skipping a few seconds back and forth when used with Chromecast. This is my experience too. A reliable way was to use my desktop to connect to the TV, I have them connected via ethernet. This meant having the computer on for a long time during the Grand Tours which I didn't like.
To get around this I bought a cheap "Alba" Android tablet at Argos which has a mini HDMI output. Only a few tablets have HDMI, usually the cheaper ones for some reason. A cheap mini HDMI cable from ebay connects it.
Steve.

KM2

Postby KM2 » 1 Apr 2019, 10:43am

Thanks for the help. I'll have a go at casting and then possibly a lead..
I do have a nowtv box but no app available for that.