Why there's so little discussion of cycling history?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
mercalia

Re: Why there's so little discussion of cycling history?

Post by mercalia »

RubaDub wrote:Thanks for the links. I knew the first one but not the second.

Lots of blogs around but was really looking for a forum.

come back in 10-20 years or so? :wink:
David9694

Post by David9694 »

I’ve a got a re-print of 1953 book “Teach Yourself Cycling”. In his world, there are the bulk of riders with rod pull utility bikes with balloon tyres. He is on about the reader becoming a “cyclist” as he sees it, with a lightweight frame, drop handlebars and rat trap pedals and doing ankling. I bought it in my local Bookworks shop because having seen the British Transport
Films CTC train excursion to Rugby where you don’t get a really good look at the bikes, I’m interested in the state of the component tech in popular cycling and how much we have now is, or isn’t, new under the sun. I’m part-way through.

So far, he’s referenced triple chainrings and canti brakes (looking just like today’s) but centre and side pulls don’t seem to be in evidence so far; it’s 5 speed at the back, of course. He’s quite into his geometry and the differences this makes - b/b height, wheelbase. He’s got his aluminium wheel rims and stainless 15 gauge butted spokes and is busily soldering the crossings.
Spa Audax Ti Ultegra; Genesis Equilibrium 853; Raleigh Record Ace 1983; “Raleigh Competition”, “Raleigh Gran Sport 1982”; “Allegro Special”, Bob Jackson tourer, Ridley alu step-through with Swytch front wheel; gravel bike from an MB Dronfield 531 frame.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

stainless spokes existed in 1953 but they were the exception; the most common racing spokes were 15g rustless (which is not the same as stainless). Rustless are easier to tie and solder.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
pga

Post by pga »

Recommend you join the Veteran-Cycle Club. Full details online. Their two publications are highly recommended. News and Views newsletter covers current events while The Boneshaker journal covers the history of the cycle and cycling. These are outstanding publications.
RubaDub

Post by RubaDub »

pga wrote:Recommend you join the Veteran-Cycle Club. Full details online. Their two publications are highly recommended. News and Views newsletter covers current events while The Boneshaker journal covers the history of the cycle and cycling. These are outstanding publications.

For an overseas (Europe) membership of €45 I would be essentially paying €15 per copy for The Boneshaker. It would need to be outstanding.
dsmithave

Post by dsmithave »

It is.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

reohn2 wrote:What did you wish to dicuss?

Any relation of Biggus? ;)
Have we got time for another cuppa?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Audax67 wrote:
reohn2 wrote:What did you wish to dicuss?

Any relation of Biggus? ;)

More than likely :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden