What distinguishes between a mens saddle & womens saddle ?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
PJ520

Re: What distinguishes between a mens saddle & womens saddle ?

Post by PJ520 »

I bought a Brooks C17S (S for short) that I found out later was supposed to be a woman's saddle. This man finds it very comfortable. But then I'm a short man.
You only live once, which is enough if you do it right. - Mae West
atoz

Post by atoz »

My late Mum was very happy with the Wrights saddle that came with a Hercules Hustler that originally was mine- a bit like the Brooks B17 standard. She always had Brooks and was very happy with them. That being said I'm not convinced that ladies always need "specific" saddles- just one that fits properly. One lady that used to ride with our club has quite a narrow saddle, but she is quite tall and slim (and pretty sure she doesn't have "women specific" lycra shorts either). I think more attention should be also paid to reach as well, as if this is wrong you will slip forward- that's why on my Tifosi I have an 85 mm stem. I would imagine that for ladies that getting it wrong would be excruicatingly painful.

When I bought my first Brooks saddle many years ago, asked my Dad for advice- he said "mine's a Brooks B17 narrow- had no problems with it". Which was what I bought. Recently had a go on his old vintage bike- the saddle fitted me perfectly- just the reach was wrong (saddle too far forward- short stem extension- all wrong for me). So if a family member is also a cyclist and the same gender, check out the saddle- I stumbled on the right one, it would appear.
-
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Thanks, in practice I've found my new woman saddles to be far more comfortable than the mans saddle I swapped across from a road bike I wasn't using. But not as comfortable as the womans saddle I finally had to bin (NB. It'd been wrapped in parcel/reinforced tape for 2-3 years and was no longer really viable).
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

pwa wrote:
andrew_s wrote:
Brucey wrote:FWIW Brooks do ladies saddles that are the same width as some of the men's ones. However the ladies saddles are a touch shorter; I an given to suppose that this is simply to allow easier mounting and dismounting when riding an upright bike with an open frame.

I've always believed that the shorter nose on women's saddles is to interfere with a skirt less.

That's my understanding too. The only drawback I can think of is less flex from what is a shorter suspended section.

And that's my understanding too - have a look on Brooks web-site. However, using the tension bolt as the miles build up, the length of the saddle increases. An acquaintance of mine - a mega Audax man - lengthened his Brooks (pro, I think) by about 40mm (!!!!!) in just a couple of years. My Brooks Pro is now about 15mm longer, in about 5/6 years, and a B17 is almost 25mm longer - can't remember how long that's taken, it's older than the Pro.

I would think that a 'ladies' saddle would get to the length of an equivalent 'mens' saddle, if Proofide was applied as recommended, after about a year - depending on mileage.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Also ..............

Cycle clothing.
Yes, a woman has a different shape, but why does she need different colours?
Why can't I buy cycle clothing that fits me as a man in "women's" colours?
Mick F. Cornwall
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

Mick F wrote:Also ..............

Cycle clothing.

Try Rapha :wink:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

geocycle wrote:
Mick F wrote:Also ..............

Cycle clothing.

Try Rapha :wink:

https://www.rapha.cc/gb/en/womens-produ ... categories
https://www.rapha.cc/gb/en/mens-product ... categories

Sorry, I still don't understand.
Why aren't they offered in the same colours?
Mick F. Cornwall
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Brucey wrote:FWIW Brooks do ladies saddles that are the same width as some of the men's ones. However the ladies saddles are a touch shorter; I an given to suppose that this is simply to allow easier mounting and dismounting when riding an upright bike with an open frame.

I have ridden on Ladies Brooks saddle on an upright roadster and it was OK. I wouldn't have relished it on a bike with dropped bars though.

cheers

Yep that's my understanding. In days past people had their saddles higher and the normal way to mount was left foot in pedal scoot off with right and then get your leg over the saddle. This was a a difficult/impossible maneuver for a skirt wearer so womens''s frames were made with a dropped crossed bar so scoot and leg through the frame. Specific womens saddles were made with a shorter nose so the skirt wouldn't catch on it. I don't think these saddles were usually made any wider than men's but may have looked so because they were shorter.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
pyruse

Post by pyruse »

My bike has a step-through frame, because it is a lot easier to get on and off.
It came with a wide-ish saddle, but I've always found it perfectly comfortable.
Also, as I discovered years ago, if you have a briefcase on a rear rack, you will have an accident when mounting or dismounting on a mans bike, so I always prefer a step-through frame; just seems a lot more practical to me, like having a basket on the front to put your shopping in.
althebike

Post by althebike »

Mick, I get irritated by a list of clothing for sale, everything is black and shapeless except the womens section which is shapely and colourful. Regarding saddles, I use a woman's saddle , I need something broad at the back that narrows quickly. My brookes B17 for example has me riding on the nose a lot creating pressure sores .If I perch in the proper place I either slide forward or the sides of the saddle rub my inner thighs
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

althebike wrote:Mick, I get irritated by a list of clothing for sale, everything is black and shapeless except the womens section which is shapely and colourful.
Glad it's not just me then! :D

I'm no oil painting, and I'm not slim and lithe, but a little colour and tailoring never did anyone any harm. Why shapeless and dull for men's attire in general is beyond me.

Maybe the manufacturer's sell what sells. We can only buy what is for sale so it's a vicious circle.
Mick F. Cornwall
althebike

Post by althebike »

My best drawings are the standard of a five year old drawing matchstick people, so a self portrait would make Chris Froome look fat :lol: