Bikely - map not working

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
PRL

Bikely - map not working

Post by PRL »

I have used Bikely for some years to plan routes but in the last few month get an error message :
This page didn't load Google Maps correctly. See the JavaScript console for technical details

I have tried using Firefox and Edge browsers.

Has anyone else had this problem ?
RickH

Re: Bikely - map not working

Post by RickH »

PRL wrote:I have used Bikely for some years to plan routes but in the last few month get an error message :
This page didn't load Google Maps correctly. See the JavaScript console for technical details

It's a Google problem.

Google has started charging for use of (at least some of) their mapping. Bikehike had a similar problem & largely solved it by ditching Google mapping.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
PRL

Post by PRL »

RickH wrote:
PRL wrote:I have used Bikely for some years to plan routes but in the last few month get an error message :

It's a Google problem.

Google has started charging for use of (at least some of) their mapping. Bikehike had a similar problem & largely solved it by ditching Google mapping.

Thanks; life is seldom simple - I will have to try to learn how to use Bikehut. At least I seem to be able to transfer my routes .
PRL

Post by PRL »

PRL wrote:
RickH wrote:

It's a Google problem.

Thanks; life is seldom simple - I will have to try to learn how to use Bikehut. At least I seem to be able to transfer my routes .

Downside is that map clearly shows car-free routes (OSM) but they can only be incorporated in straight line sections.

Does anyone know of a better alternative ?
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Have you looked at RideWithGPS. I don't know if you can transfer your rides to it.
I use a motorbike App' that also has stopped using Google maps so now use RwGPS for all my planning.
RwGPS still has the "little man" so easily can see road conditions etc.
Choice of various map formats such as OSM, Satellite, etc.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
PRL

Post by PRL »

cycleruk wrote:Have you looked at RideWithGPS. I don't know if you can transfer your rides to it.
I use a motorbike App' that also has stopped using Google maps so now use RwGPS for all my planning.
RwGPS still has the "little man" so easily can see road conditions etc.
Choice of various map formats such as OSM, Satellite, etc.

Thanks - another one to try.