Small Pump AND CO2 Inflator Recommendations Please

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Witterings

Small Pump AND CO2 Inflator Recommendations Please

Post by Witterings »

Looking for recommendations for a small pump and also for a CO2 inflator as well please.

I bought a cheap CO2 inflator and the button keeps dropping out which is fine if it's only ever on one bike but I'd moved it to the other bike and the button wasn't there when it was needed, if anyone has some recommendations of what's half decent.

Pump ... I'd like as small as possible as it'll be a back up for the inflator but something that I ideally won't still be there pumping away 2 hours later ... it doesn't need a gauge.

An suggestions much appreciated!!
Brucey

Re: Small Pump AND CO2 Inflator Recommendations Please

Post by Brucey »

suggestion; just buy a decent pump.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Witterings

Post by Witterings »

Brucey wrote:suggestion; just buy a decent pump.

cheers

Summer days .... no problem .... but on those freezing cold evening rides in the winter when it's damp in the air, the wind's blowing right through you I'll take the CO2 inflator every time please :D
freiston

Post by freiston »

Witterings wrote:

cheers

Summer days .... no problem .... but on those freezing cold evening rides in the winter when it's damp in the air, the wind's blowing right through you I'll take the CO2 inflator every time please :D

I could understand this if punctures were a regular occurrence but in my experience, they rarely happen and the pump is carried just in case but almost never used. Any way, pumping will keep you warm whilst you're not pedalling :lol:
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
Witterings

Post by Witterings »

freiston wrote:
Witterings wrote:

cheers

I could understand this if punctures were a regular occurrence but in my experience, they rarely happen and the pump is carried just in case but almost never used. Any way, pumping will keep you warm whilst you're not pedalling :lol:

We live in Thorn city I think ... I had 6 punctures in 6 rides last year around hedge cutting time and my friends had loads as well so I guess it depends on the areas you ride.

I did buy Smart Sam Plus's for my 29er which made a huge difference but have since bought another bike with GK SK's on it and they're nowhere near as puncture resistant as the SS's.

Probably end up going tubeless but I still need pump as a minimum for the 2nd bike and as I have a box full of CO2 cartridges may as well get a 2nd inflator and then have the choice of which to use.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I originally purchased a small pump (good quality and not cheap) but found in practice it was not great so switched to a proper pump.

Ian
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Witterings wrote:

cheers

I agree and got one of those inflator/gunge things that inflates and "repairs" a puncture. Purchased it after getting a puncture mid-winter with frost around and fingers cold enough that I could not use them properly (fortunately puncture slow enough to allow pump-up, ride a mile, pump-up, etc. which got me to nearest town with bike shop). Not had to use the canister of compressed air/gunge yet so can't recommend the brand I got. But are you looking to just inflate or to do a bodge "repair" as well?

Ian
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

One of these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Topeak-Mini-Tr ... way&sr=8-8

Then no need for CO2 cylinders. Keep some CO2 cylinders in your pack though for when an unfortunate cycling colleague doesn't have enough CO2 to complete their repair.
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

I bought a specialized airtool, it's a small pump and the Co2 cylinder fits on the end. I saw it in Leisure Lakes shop in Wolverhampton and it had been reduced to £23. Think they're £40 now.
Witterings

Post by Witterings »

freeflow wrote:One of these

Then no need for CO2 cylinders. Keep some CO2 cylinders in your pack though for when an unfortunate cycling colleague doesn't have enough CO2 to complete their repair.

That's 16.85 inches long ... I'm looking for more like 16.85 cm .. in other words small :)
Witterings

Post by Witterings »

philvantwo wrote:I bought a specialized airtool, it's a small pump and the Co2 cylinder fits on the end. I saw it in Leisure Lakes shop in Wolverhampton and it had been reduced to £23. Think they're £40 now.

Been googling similar wording and can't find anything that matches that description but sounds interesting ... any idea of the actual name??
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

That's 16.85 inches long

Which means it fits in a rack pack quite easily although mine is now permanantly strapped to the bike.

Before the above I used to have one of these

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/lezyne-pressur ... cartridge/

but it did have a nasty habit of unscrewing the inner valve of inner tunes that had them. It was also very hard work once yuo got above 60 psi.

There are of course cheaper versions

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-hybri ... pump-race/
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

Specialized Airtool MTB, brilliant for both road and MTB, has a solid frame fitment, I was so impressed I bought the newer version, it's subtly shorter but wider https://www.specialized.com/gb/en/air-t ... p/p/117305 I now take the newer version in my small frame fit bag.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

The utility cyclist wrote:Specialized Airtool MTB, brilliant for both road and MTB, has a solid frame fitment, I was so impressed I bought the newer version, it's subtly shorter but wider https://www.specialized.com/gb/en/air-t ... p/p/117305 I now take the newer version in my small frame fit bag.

I got one of the AirTool Mini https://www.specialized.com/gb/en/air-tool-road-mini-pump/p/117298. 16 cm long. Well made, good quality but I could never get it to pump up tyres properly. Too small or maybe it just took too long to get enough air in. I gave-up and got something bigger.

I don't know if it's still made as a few web sites from Google no longer stock it and Specialized are "Out of Stock" (which together sometimes means no longer made)

It has good qualities but from my personal experience I would not recommend it.

Ian
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

Witterings wrote:
freeflow wrote:One of these

That's 16.85 inches long ... I'm looking for more like 16.85 cm .. in other words small :)

Well it really comes down to size Vs performance. Bigger pump works better. Smaller pump works bad.

Topeak have all the pumps you could want:

Standard hoseless with thumb clamp
Pocket Rocket 22cm/109g/160psi (max pressure)/31cc (air volume per stroke)/Either (Presta or Schrader)
Pocket Rocket DX II 22cm/115g/160psi/29cc Either
Minirocket Iglow 17cm/67g/160psi/? Presta Glows red using 2xcr2032 batteries (extra illumination for your bike)
Speed Masterblaster 35cm/140g/160psi/55cc/Either
Road Masterblaster framefit (similar to Zefal HPX) S/M/L/XL 208g/229g/250g/270g 50cc/61cc/73cc/85cc 43-64cm 160psi Either
Mountain Masterblaster 30cm/120g/90psi/71cc/Either (t-handle)
Peakini II 25cm/132g/90psi/70cc/Either - T-Handle
Peak DX II 28cm/155g/90psi/51cc/Smarthead - T-Handle

'Dual Action' type (hoseless dual action stroke with thumb clamp):
Mountain DA 22cm/126g/60psi/81psi/either (optional gauge)
Roadie DA 18cm/95g/120psi/36cc/Presta (optional gauge)
Roadie DAX 26cm/118g/120psi/67cc/Presta
Mini Dual 27cm/148g/120psi/67cc/Either (optional gauge)
Mini Dual DX 23cm/150g/120psi/61cc/Smarthead (optional gauge)

Morph type (with footpad, t-handle, & hose for some sort of impression of a floor pump)
Mountain Morph 35cm/250g/160psi/101cc Either
Turbo Morph 35cm/280g/160psi/103cc Either (note: this is the Mountain Morph with gauge)
Road Morph 35cm/220g/140psi/82cc Either (with gauge)
Mini Morph 26cm/154g/160psi/50cc Either (optional gauge)

Extendable hose type:
Racerocket 18cm/85g/120psi/38cc/Smarthead
Racerocket HP High Pressure or HP Carbon (lighter) 18cm/85g/160psi/25cc/Smarthead
Racerocket HPX extended 25cm/109g/160psi/40cc/Smarthead
Racerocket MT mountain 20cm/114g/90psi/68cc/Smarthead

Hoseless clampless type:
Micro Rocket AL (or Carbon) 16cm/65g/160psi/20cc/Presta
Micro Rocket ALT 20cm/78g/160psi/20cc/Presta (t-handle)

Seatpost type
Ninja P 20cm/62g/160psi/?/Presta

CO2 or CO2/air or air-only type:
Hybridrocket HP 19cm/97g/160psi/23cc/Presta
Hybridrocket RX 17cm/80g/160psi/19cc/Presta

There are a few points to note:

* the volume of a 25mmx700c tyre is around 3800 cc
* therefore the hybridrocket or similar, pumping only around 20cc, is going to take a very long time to pump up your tyre. They are probably poor CO2 inflators and poor pumps as well.
* generally the 'mountain' models and those quoting a lower maximum pressure, have a wider barrel which is not optimised for high pressure. Good for pumping up say a 2" tyre to 30psi, but they are unlikely to get a road tyre to full pressure
* the 'smarthead' reduces capacity a bit. The other ones are either Presta-only, or need to be disassembled a bit. Unless you are constantly switching, Smarthead is not really worth it.
* realistically you can probably get 2/3 of the quoted pressure without killing yourself - the Racerocket HP for example would get to 100psi, the standard Racerocket would not, but it would take a very long time - the Racerocket HPX would be better. (As the pressure inside the tyre, the required effort increases - the trade-off is between higher effort, a bigger pump, or less air being pumped in - pick any two)
* other types of pump from other brands aren't going to differ too much from the above specs for the same size. Possibly some are better or worse built than others, but there is no magic there. A traditional frame-fit pump will have relatively easy pumping as it is larger.
Last edited by thelawnet on 9 Apr 2019, 11:41pm, edited 9 times in total.