Chain Links And Tool

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Vorpal

Re: Chain Links And Tool

Post by Vorpal »

Some chain tools have a little folding handle instead of a thumb wheel. I used to have one like that.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
slowster

Post by slowster »

Witterings wrote:
slowster wrote:If you really feel they don't have enough leverage a hollow aluminium tube from a model / hobby shop would cost you bugger all of nothing and could be cut to size depending on how much leverage you needed and you wouldn't notice the weight????

Could do the same with the Hexus but it'd need a much wider tube which wouldn't be ideal.

You could increase the leverage on the turning handle of a CT5 like that, but it would be fiddly to keep removing the tube and put it on the opposite side of the handle for each 90 degrees of turn. It also does not increase the leverage/grip on the relatively short fixed handle of the CT5.

In contrast the large body of the Hexus provides the same sort of grip/leverage as a workshop tool, and the tyre lever-cum-turning handle provides a similar amount of leverage. Using a mini-ratchet instead of the tyre lever just makes it even easier and more comfortable to use. If you did not need or want the ratchet action, another alternative would be to use a 3 way allen key tool to provide more grip in place of the tyre lever.

It was seeing a young lad unable to get an effective grip and leverage with the chain tool on my Crank Brothers' multi-tool that made me appreciate that whilst I might be able to use pretty much any chain tool, others might not.
Last edited by slowster on 20 Apr 2019, 11:41am, edited 1 time in total.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

IME when breaking 10/11s chain, there is only one 1/2 turn where you need the extra leverage.

If you don't have strong hands especially it probably won't just be chain tools which might cause you to struggle; is a very good idea to carry something in your tool kit which can help extend tool handles, always handy....

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~