Cycle Paths

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Oldjohnw

Re: Cycle Paths

Post by Oldjohnw »

Richard Fairhurst wrote:Sure, but most of them don’t specially register on cycling forums to start arguments about it!

Correct. Interesting that the OP registered and made their one post just yesterday.
John
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

I'm both a motorist and a cyclist and it annoys me intensely when I see a perfectly good cycle path not being used by a cyclist. Why endanger your life by choosing to mix it with the traffic? I've heard all about the road being faster but is this worth the risk? When cycle paths don't get used is discourages councils to improve and expand them. Use them and hound the council to improve them. The large number of people cycling now and who complain will have an effect, albeit slowly.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

francovendee wrote:I'm both a motorist and a cyclist and it annoys me intensely when I see a perfectly good cycle path not being used by a cyclist. Why endanger your life by choosing to mix it with the traffic? I've heard all about the road being faster but is this worth the risk? When cycle paths don't get used is discourages councils to improve and expand them. Use them and hound the council to improve them. The large number of people cycling now and who complain will have an effect, albeit slowly.

The OP wanted not just to encourage people to use them but to make their use compulsory. I see a difference.
Last edited by Oldjohnw on 19 Apr 2019, 9:30am, edited 1 time in total.
John
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

gaz wrote:Come to think of it I find people who put the jam on a scone before the cream more irritating than cyclists on a narrow road when there is a cycle path next to it.

I yam glad you have raised this serious matter. Did I hear that there are to be new laws forcing us all to put the jam on the scone in the wrong sequence!? This is a terribly awful attack on our civil liberties and freedoms, even if it isn't true! It's enough to make one get in a car, go out at 75mph and find a cyclist to harass! After all, it was probably cyclists in their cafes who started this nonsense about the jam on the scone and look where it's got us!

Intemperate letters to The Daily Frightener seem appropriate.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Why, just a moment ago I read about a tea ceremony
One should not stir the cream in, let it sink, then it explodes like a nuclear bomb when it reaches the floor of the cup

More etiquette tips, please :wink:
Last edited by Cyril Haearn on 19 Apr 2019, 9:38am, edited 1 time in total.
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

francovendee wrote:I'm both a motorist and a cyclist and it annoys me intensely when I see a perfectly good cycle path not being used by a cyclist. Why endanger your life by choosing to mix it with the traffic? I've heard all about the road being faster but is this worth the risk? When cycle paths don't get used is discourages councils to improve and expand them. Use them and hound the council to improve them. The large number of people cycling now and who complain will have an effect, albeit slowly.

Can you send me a list of your "perfectly good cycling paths"? I've never seen or heard of one. They all seem to be perfectly bad, going by those I've tried; and those I've seen written about or heard about from others.. :-)

Cugel, who merely learnt to ride a bike on the roads. (It was quite easy).
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

francovendee wrote:Why endanger your life by choosing to mix it with the traffic?

Statistically at least, the road is actually safer. You're at greater risk of death or serious injury when using dedicated cycling infrastructure in the UK.

And let us not forget that more than 9 out of 10 cyclist road deaths are the fault of another party. By your argument young women should not be allowed out at night as it might be dangerous - that sort of victim blaming is simply inappropriate. Blaming the victim for the behaviour of the offender really has become bad form in the last few years.

I actually knew a chap who died of his head injuries when he took a bad fall from his bike due to debris on a badly maintained cycle path. His daughter is a good friend of mine and she wishes he'd ridden home on the road that evening.

When cycle paths are extensive, not crossed by driveways and entrances, are of sufficient width, properly maintained, well lit, don't have cars parked on them, and are occasionally policed then you might start to have a compelling argument along those lines. Until then - and it'll never happen, because cars in the number we know them today will be long gone by the time they could be built - there's no legal, moral or safety argument for using cycle paths.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Cugel wrote:Can you send me a list of your "perfectly good cycling paths"?

This one isn't any use at all, although it might be applicable to the discussion :wink: .
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Why is (Green Street Green Road) in brackets, is it a street or a road, are there more Trolling Down Hills?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
gaz

Post by gaz »

Without doubt one of the great existential questions of our time.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Why is (Green Street Green Road) in brackets, is it a street or a road, are there more Trolling Down Hills?

What I want to know is: why isn't it called Trolling Up Hill? I don't think we should make it easy for the trolls, even if they are green and never use a car; or central heating under their bridge! If they are only going downhill, they will freewheel and have lots of breath left for saying naughty things. A panting troll would be much less impressive, one feels.

Cugel
John Maynard Keynes
gaz

Post by gaz »

Is this not all getting a bit Grand Old Duke of York?

Whilst his research was conducted on men rather than trolls, the conclusion seems applicable. When trolls are up, they are up, and when trolls are down they are down.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Lance Dopestrong wrote:
francovendee wrote:Why endanger your life by choosing to mix it with the traffic?

Statistically at least, the road is actually safer. You're at greater risk of death or serious injury when using dedicated cycling infrastructure in the UK.

And let us not forget that more than 9 out of 10 cyclist road deaths are the fault of another party. By your argument young women should not be allowed out at night as it might be dangerous - that sort of victim blaming is simply inappropriate. Blaming the victim for the behaviour of the offender really has become bad form in the last few years.

I actually knew a chap who died of his head injuries when he took a bad fall from his bike due to debris on a badly maintained cycle path. His daughter is a good friend of mine and she wishes he'd ridden home on the road that evening.

When cycle paths are extensive, not crossed by driveways and entrances, are of sufficient width, properly maintained, well lit, don't have cars parked on them, and are occasionally policed then you might start to have a compelling argument along those lines. Until then - and it'll never happen, because cars in the number we know them today will be long gone by the time they could be built - there's no legal, moral or safety argument for using cycle paths.

If young women were in danger at night then I'd be all in favour of making special arrangement for their safety. I think this is being a bit sexist, I'm sure young men are at least as likely to come to harm as young girls.

As it being more dangerous on cycle paths I can't see how myself. Do you have a source for the data?

Maybe I'm spoilt living in France but my nearest Large town, La Roche sur Yon, is well served with cycle paths away from the traffic. I suppose the UK with it's population density is a different story and dedicated cycle paths aren't always possible.

I'd take my chance on a path crossed by driveways rather than the road. You can see and hear a car backing out but cars doing 30 mph approaching from behind are a constant feature.
jimlews

Post by jimlews »

Cyclists (and pedestrians) use the roads as is their right.
Motorists are licensed to be on good behavior whilst using the roads.

The primary duty of care rests with those who can do most harm.
mjr

Post by mjr »

francovendee wrote:
Lance Dopestrong wrote:

As it being more dangerous on cycle paths I can't see how myself. Do you have a source for the data?

The usual trick is to allocate all collisions near carriageway/cycleway junctions as cycleway casualties, regardless of whether the cyclist involved was on the cycleway! As most collisions happen near junctions and there are carriageway/cycleway junctions next to most carriageway/carriageway junctions, that soon tilts the numbers.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.