Rusted chain

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Tiggs85

Rusted chain

Post by Tiggs85 »

Hi everyone,

I’m away on my travels and my dear Mum has informed me that the roof on my bike shed has collapsed, not sure how long it’s been like that for but it must’ve been a while as the weather has battered my bike. She along with my next door neighbour have taken the bikes out but my bike looks worse for wear. Could anybody here tell from the pics of the chain is salvageable along with the cassette? I won’t be back for another month so can’t check it out myself.

Help is greatly appreciated
Attachments
06ED04D6-CD7D-4B68-8982-DFB52C4AFBF1.jpeg
B60BE6F4-7763-4C05-99B5-C28E864978F3.jpeg
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Rusted chain

Post by Mick F »

Welcome to the forum. :D

My instant idea is to dribble some oil on it. Don't worry what sort and don't worry about getting anything bike-specific.
Oil, plain and simple.

Drible it on whilst turning the cranks backwards. The chain will survive I'm sure.
When it's free, turn the cranks forwards and select every combination of sprockets and rings. The oil will spread over all the teeth.

When that's fine, come back on here and get more advice. We're a friendly bunch. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
Tiggs85

Post by Tiggs85 »

Thanks for the response Mick, yeah my worry was that it’s deep set rust and whether getting the chain off would be the best thing for it.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

I agree with Mick. If the oil can be worked into the chain links (and kept away from the brake disc!) then the corrosion oughtn't get any worse in the next couple of weeks. However it looks as if there is already at least one stiff link. If the chain isn't badly worn but is badly rusted, then it may be possible to replace it without replacing the cassette at the same time.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

Hi
WD40 to clear any moisture out followed by a drop of oil on each roller. Let it soak overnight, and ride :)
Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

It's not the end of the world of you have to buy a new chain. A lot less than a night in a hotel while you are away on your travels.

I'd be more worried about what looks like a nearly flat rear tyre - unless my eyes deceive me.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

I think the OP's mum or someone will be doing it! judging by the kink in a couple of the links I would not advise asking her to try and run the chain bacvkwards - unless she knows what she is doing of course! - in case it fouls the mech and causes it to fold up. Just ask her to spray some WD40 or spray oil along it, keeping it from the rims as best she can, then have a good look at it when you get back.
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
robgul

Post by robgul »

There are couple of very rusty links that are probably seized and has potential to damage the rear mech or jockey wheels - looks like it's a 10speed and a reasonable KMC chain isn't much money in the scheme of things. Just keep it lubricated (and mend the shed roof!!

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
Tiggs85

Post by Tiggs85 »

Hello all,

Thank you for the responses! Yeah it’s my mum that would be tinkering with it so it’s a tad difficult to explain anything a little bit more complicated over the phone. She did however video call me a few hours ago and from that, it looks like the chain is the only real issue, there’s a tad of rust on the cassette but I think that would come off with a decent clean.
Thank you all for the responses, very much appreciated!!
RobinS

Post by RobinS »

I'd just spray with WD40, then a few days later spray with oil. When you get back it will probably be fine, or if not you'll need a new chain.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Just get mum to dribble some oil , a little more than it needs is preferable, you can clean the excess of when you get home.
NUKe