Gloves that prevent blisters?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
tommydog

Gloves that prevent blisters?

Postby tommydog » 21 Apr 2019, 4:28pm

Over the years I have tried many different handlebar grips, but on long tours where I am cycling all day for a prolonged period, I always seem to suffer with blisters by the end of the trip. I have never worn gloves, but some people say they wear gloves to protect against blisters. In light of this, I wondered what gloves people would recommend to help prevent blisters? What gloves have people had the most success with?

reohn2

Re: Gloves that prevent blisters?

Postby reohn2 » 21 Apr 2019, 4:41pm

What sort of handlebars are you using,flat,drops,butterfly,etc,etc.also where on your hands do the blisters occur.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

tommydog

Postby tommydog » 21 Apr 2019, 4:51pm

reohn2 wrote:What sort of handlebars are you using,flat,drops,butterfly,etc,etc.

I mainly tour with butterfly as I find that most comfortable, but in the past have toured with flat and drops, however on all types of bars and grips I have experienced blisters when doing extensive touring. I am not talking about going for an average ride, but prolonged touring where I cycle day in day out.

NUKe

Postby NUKe » 21 Apr 2019, 4:57pm

I have always worn gloves and never had blister. You want a snug fitting glove with a padded palm. Expensive doesn’t mean good in this case. Lidl have some in at the moment if you want cheap mitts. Mitts are best for summer.
NUKe

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 21 Apr 2019, 5:44pm

Sounds as if your hands are soft and prone to blisters
When I wore mitts I liked Cheba with gel pads
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

Paulatic

Postby Paulatic » 21 Apr 2019, 8:09pm

Blimey I’ve never experienced blisters not even after successive off road days. Are you gripping the bars tightly? After Perth I began experiencing some numbness on last years LEJOG. I ditched the mitts and after a couple of days the numbness left me. So mitts might help you or maybe not.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/

LinusR

Postby LinusR » 21 Apr 2019, 8:44pm

Buy some surgical spirit (on shelf from Boots or Super drug) and rub your hands with it to harden the skin. Do it once a day for a few weeks before the tour and take it with you. Good for your feet too to prevent athlete's foot. Wear rubber gloves when doing any dishwashing, etc. And don't grip the handlebars so tightly :wink:

mattsccm

Postby mattsccm » 21 Apr 2019, 9:49pm

Just try a few on. Like any clothing what fits me might not fit you and the fit is the most important thing. Personal recommendations are not much use. Then consider your bars. Gloves for MTB use with flat bars often have the padding etc in a different place to road gloves. Can't say it is always obvious though. Lots of padding isn't always the thing and can make matters worse.

Audax67

Postby Audax67 » 22 Apr 2019, 8:34am

I've used 3 pairs of DHB Aeron mitts for the last 4 years. They're comfortable, not pricey and, surprise surprise, still on the market. The padding is adequate and they have a fair-to-middle area of towelling over the thumb. The Velcro is the right way round so that it doesn't try and go up your nose when you wipe the sweat away.

I'm not saying they'll prevent *you* from getting blisters but they do me, and they stop the bars getting all sweaty and stinking like feet.
Have we got time for another cuppa?