St. Martins or Overton cafe - Update

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
fausto copy

St. Martins or Overton cafe - Update

Postby fausto copy » 21 Apr 2019, 9:03pm

Taking a cycling group out in a few weeks from Oswestry, just wondering about a couple of cafes as it's a few years since we were there.
Stan's superstore in St. Martins or possibly one in Overton. Both used to be very cycle-friendly.
( I think the Overton one used to be the Cup & Saucer but streetview appears to show the cafe in the building next door which used to be a hairdressers).
Anyone local to the area with suggestions please?

Ta, fausto.
Last edited by fausto copy on 21 May 2019, 3:09pm, edited 1 time in total.

hogkite

Re: St. Martins or Overton cafe

Postby hogkite » 27 Apr 2019, 8:33pm

Not a local but have cycled through Overton a few times, tbh never noticed any cafes !

Depending on your route there are at least a couple of options not too far away at Ellesmere.....the cafe at the mere itself is a lovely setting but not cheap. There's a good cafe in the town centre which is much more reasonable, sorry can't remember name (maybe Pete's).

There's the Enfys Cafe @ the Penley Rainbow Cente which is pretty good, check they are open if going at weekend.

RickH

Postby RickH » 27 Apr 2019, 9:19pm

I've been to The Boathouse at Ellesmere a couple of times. That's a similar sort of distance from Oswestry.

brynpoeth

Postby brynpoeth » 28 Apr 2019, 6:59pm

Remember to visit Overton Yew Trees, one of the Seven Wonders of Wales (all are in the Gogledd :wink:)
Entertainer, kidult, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life

hoppy58

Postby hoppy58 » 28 Apr 2019, 9:53pm

There are no cafes in Overton now. Stans at St. Martins has a cafe still, but it's within a great big supermarket! Also locally, Derwen College (used to be Betty's cafe) at Gobowen, loads of cafes in Ellesmere, a couple in Chirk...or if you want to alter your route, Canal Central at Maesbury is brilliant (and lots of nice quiet flat lanes around there...)

AndyK

Postby AndyK » 29 Apr 2019, 3:18pm

Near St Martin's there are also the Cafe on the Hill in Welsh Frankton (only been open a year or so, family-run, deserves support) and the community cafe near the aqueduct in Chirk, Caffi Wylfa, which has lots of space for cycling groups.

fausto copy

Postby fausto copy » 29 Apr 2019, 4:41pm

Thanks for the replies folks.
I'm aware of the Ellesmere cafes thanks, as that's where our "lunch" stop will be.
I've been to Stan's before and we'll see how desperate people are for a quick coffee.

I'd planned to visit Canal Centre on the Tuesday, but as luck will have it, they will be closed that day. :roll:
I'll investigate Welsh Frankton and try and suss out where Penley Rainbow Centre is.

Cheers, fausto.

P.S. And of course, we'll be taking time to view the Overton Yews, Bryn.

delilah

Postby delilah » 30 Apr 2019, 7:41pm

I‘m not sure of the route you propose from Oswestry to St Martins but if you went Oswestry, Gobowen Weston Rhyn there is a good cafe a little bit off route in Chirk http://www.glynwylfa.co.uk/caffi-wylfa/ I don’t know of any cafe in Overton.

fausto copy

Postby fausto copy » 1 May 2019, 10:16pm

Thanks for that info Delilah.
I was hoping to head a bit more eastwards to eventually take in Ellesmere.
I've now planned a route taking in the Enfys Cafe recommended above, for elevenses.
Shame about the Overton cafe though, as it's a lovely village and really did fancy revisiting.
fausto.

fausto copy

Postby fausto copy » 20 May 2019, 11:32am

Just an update to say that I took my cycling group to Cafe Enfys and were treated like royalty.
I don't know if they baked the delicious sponge cakes especially for us (I'd rung them a few days in advance to ask if we'd be welcome) but what a treat. The coffees were excellent too and I'm so glad we popped in.
Apparently they'll be putting something on their Facebook page about our visit, but as I don't do that, I'll not know.

I sent a separate group out on a prescribed route the day after, guiding them to the new cafe near Pontcysyllte and also the Cafe on the Hill in Welsh Frankton.
As it happens, they used a canal boat cafe that was moored near the aqueduct and later got lost, missed Welsh Frankton and ended up in Ellesmere, where we'd been after Penley the day before.

A few of us called into the Cherry Tree cafe in Ellesmere, which was fine.

On day 2 I took a smaller group out to Ruyton XI Towns and called in to Cafe Eleven.
We were very lucky there, as Karen was just about to close, ready for a private booking, but she let the four of us in and fed and watered us splendidly.

All in all, it worked out fine, so thanks to all who responded with suggestions.

Cheers, fausto.