...who buys this stuff?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
PH

Re: ...who buys this stuff?

Post by PH »

The question was who buys it, not why.
It’s easier to guess the latter.
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

PH wrote:The question was who buys it, not why.

I would guess plenty of people otherwise the company would go under :wink:
BrightonRock

Post by BrightonRock »

Silca is probably about the best you can get, the Rolls Royce of pumps, but even at that they're well out of my league.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I bought one of these early in the year:- https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-m ... A6EALw_wcB

Beautifully made and with a range of spare parts available,the same company makes a full range of pumps and if the quality of them is as good as the one I bought,I can't think why or how the kit in the OP attracts custom :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

reohn2 wrote:I bought one of these early in the year:- https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-m ... A6EALw_wcB

Beautifully made and with a range of spare parts available,the same company makes a full range of pumps and if the quality of them is as good as the one I bought,I can't think why or how the kit in the OP attracts custom :?

Got one of those also. Has an annoying habit of unscrewing the valve core. Now I've thread locked them in, not such a problem. Does a wonderful job now. Mine is a few years old and din't have the other attachment noted in your link. Wonder if they've updated it.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
PH

Post by PH »

100%JR wrote:
PH wrote:The question was who buys it, not why.

I would guess plenty of people otherwise the company would go under :wink:

Well at those prices, plenty might not be that many and you haven't enlightened us to who they are.
The why is simple - they see the object in a different way to those who don't buy it.
freiston

Post by freiston »

iandriver wrote:
reohn2 wrote:I bought one of these early in the year:- https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-m ... A6EALw_wcB

Got one of those also. Has an annoying habit of unscrewing the valve core. Now I've thread locked them in, not such a problem. Does a wonderful job now. Mine is a few years old and din't have the other attachment noted in your link. Wonder if they've updated it.

[thread drift]Coincidentally, I have the same pump. Haven't had the issue of valve cores unscrewing. I've collected a few pumps over the years and decided to deflate my tyres several times and use all the pumps to decide which is "best" (a full size Zefal frame pump, a smaller traditional Zefal pump with hose, a tiny Halfords double-action pump which is over 20 years old and the Lezyne Micro Floor Drive). For ease of pumping and getting to pressure, the Lezyne was a clear winner and the Zefal full size frame pump came in a close second. The Lezyne was a present.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

PH wrote:Well at those prices, plenty might not be that many and you haven't enlightened us to who they are.

Why do I need to enlighten you ? I don't know exactly who they are.I'm just guessing.Probably the same people who buy "craft beer" and all the gimmicky "street food" available.
Or maybe they're just normal people who just don't care how much summat is.
Do you know who they are?
Can you enlighten us?
There is obviously a market or the product wouldn't exist :wink:
I have a couple of mates who probably would if they were into cycling :wink:
PH

Post by PH »

100%JR wrote:
PH wrote:Well at those prices, plenty might not be that many and you haven't enlightened us to who they are.

Why do I need to enlighten you ?

Who said you needed to?
You're replying to a thread that poses a question, you've guessed an answer that wasn't enlightening.
Can you enlighten us?

No, I have no idea who they are, I doubt I know anyone who would.
Now lighten up :wink:
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

PH wrote:
100%JR wrote:

Who said you needed to?
You're replying to a thread that poses a question, you've guessed an answer that wasn't enlightening.
Can you enlighten us?

No, I have no idea who they are, I doubt I know anyone who would.
Now lighten up :wink:

Me lighten up?
Maybe if you'd have put a smiley or summat your original post wouldn't come across as a bit sarcastic :wink:
Thinking about it I know quite a few people who probably would,if they were cyclists.I have a mate who at 51 years old buys a brand new designer shirt every week to go out into town with his mates.His reasoning for this?
"I don't want to be seen in the same shirt two weeks running"...I could understand this if he lived in a small rural village...but a City the size of Sheffield?
So people like him would be my guess.If you're willing to spend £90-£120 every week on a Ted Baker shirt then I'm sure £70 on a water bottle would seem reasonable?
freiston

Post by freiston »

Well I'm not much wiser. As far as I am aware (and I'm pretty certain) I don't know anyone personally who buys this stuff and, apart from the vanity/perceived kudos inferred from the designer shirt example in 100%JR's post above, I can't fathom out what the motivation is behind buying it over other products - for example the £410 track pump rather than the Silca track pump offered by the same shop for £145, or the even the Lezyne offering at £76.

I'm certainly not trying to say what people should or should not buy nor am I saying their choice is right or wrong. I just don't understand the thought processes that lead to spending £410 over the £145 option (almost three times as much) or the £76 option (over five times as much) for a workshop pump that will for all intent purposes do exactly the same job with about the same effectiveness and with what I would expect to be similar life expectancies. I can understand better the bottle cage especially if nothing else satisfies certain criteria - there is an aesthetic element in respect of the presentation of the whole bike and also a functionality that is codependent on the design of the preferred bidon, frame geometry etc. - factors that the workshop pump is not subject to.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

its a sales tactic...? e.g. having a ludicrously priced pump makes a £145 track pump seem reasonable...? And there will always be someone who will buy the most expensive one on principle.....

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

PH wrote:
100%JR wrote:

Who said you needed to?
Can you enlighten us?

No, I have no idea who they are, I doubt I know anyone who would. ....

I'll take a guess,the same people who'll pay hundreds if not thousands of ££££s for a vanity plate on their car :wink: .
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

iandriver wrote:I wonder if it's reliability is sufficient to justify perhaps a race team or other very heavy usage setup buying something like the pump.

Going to quote myself here, as it's the aspect that hasn't been addressed.
A brief scan through the Park Tool catalogue reveals a host of tools that most ordinary consumers wouldn't pay that amount for.

So who are these tools aimed at? If you work with them all day, you can justify the cost of expensive tools. You get the use out of them and quality matters.

So who are these expensive pumps etc. aimed at? Is it the day to day consumer as luxury goods, or are they aimed at the commercial/ very heavy usage sector?
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
mig

Post by mig »

iandriver wrote:
iandriver wrote:I wonder if it's reliability is sufficient to justify perhaps a race team or other very heavy usage setup buying something like the pump.

Going to quote myself here, as it's the aspect that hasn't been addressed.
A brief scan through the Park Tool catalogue reveals a host of tools that most ordinary consumers wouldn't pay that amount for.

So who are these tools aimed at? If you work with them all day, you can justify the cost of expensive tools. You get the use out of them and quality matters.

So who are these expensive pumps etc. aimed at? Is it the day to day consumer as luxury goods, or are they aimed at the commercial/ very heavy usage sector?

i'd say aimed at the luxury goods consumer. get the pump to match your pinarello etc. i would think that most commercial users would be a tad wiser and spot that it's just an ordinary spec pump with a new hat on.

re. pumps. the best i ever had was a 'sapo'....basic red thing with a chunky black handle priced at about £20. lasted for years of use, stored in a shed, taken to races. i think that the flange gave up the ghost. i must get around to finding a replacement part if available.