...who buys this stuff?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
slowster

Re: ...who buys this stuff?

Postby slowster » 25 Apr 2019, 1:07pm

iandriver wrote:Got one of those also. Has an annoying habit of unscrewing the valve core. Now I've thread locked them in, not such a problem. Does a wonderful job now. Mine is a few years old and din't have the other attachment noted in your link. Wonder if they've updated it.

Many of the reviews of the 'Speed Chuck' on Wiggle are negative, especially if high pressure tyres are involved.

The 'Flip Chuck' supplied with the pumps has a button to release the pressure in the pump/above the valve, which is supposed to reduce the risk of the valve core unscrewing. However, if you are not using a tubeless set up, the simplest solution is to choose inner tubes without a removable core, e.g. Michelin.

100%JR

Postby 100%JR » 26 Apr 2019, 2:08pm

reohn2 wrote:I'll take a guess,the same people who'll pay hundreds if not thousands of ££££s for a vanity plate on their car :wink:

There's a few blokes at work got these.They're either the irish ones (GAZ 1030 etc)or UK ones that only actually spell something with a broad spread of imagination :roll:
I upset my workmate(who's daughter bought him his "personalised" plate) when I said IMO every personalised plate should be B311 END :lol:

I've had a private plate on every vehicle I've owned....the unique one the DVLA allocated each vehicle on first registration :wink:
Canyon Ultimate CF SL
Lynskey R480 build
Boardman CX Comp

We hate "speed" cameras...and mass hysteria..Vive la révolution!!

geocycle

Postby geocycle » 26 Apr 2019, 4:37pm

Brucey wrote:its a sales tactic...? e.g. having a ludicrously priced pump makes a £145 track pump seem reasonable...? And there will always be someone who will buy the most expensive one on principle.....

cheers

In a similar vein I have a colleague who leaves a cycling magazine open at ludicrously priced £300 cycling shoes so that their 'financial controller' thinks the £90 Shimanos they've really got in mind are good value! Thinking about it, that's probably the real reason we need £10k bikes as they make £3k ones look a bargain....

gxaustin

Postby gxaustin » 26 Apr 2019, 9:36pm

I have a cycling colleague who just got 2 invoices - the real one and the 'acceptable' one. Playing with fire?

fastpedaller

Postby fastpedaller » 26 Apr 2019, 10:25pm

The tactics described above can backfire......... I heard of someone who collected model cars, which the supplier obligingly labelled at 1/10th of the price the collector had paid. When he passed away and his Wife sold the collection :shock: you can guess the rest. :(

100%JR

Postby 100%JR » 26 Apr 2019, 10:31pm

geocycle wrote:In a similar vein I have a colleague who leaves a cycling magazine open at ludicrously priced £300 cycling shoes so that their 'financial controller' thinks the £90 Shimanos they've really got in mind are good value! Thinking about it, that's probably the real reason we need £10k bikes as they make £3k ones look a bargain....

The only “financial controller” is me :wink:
The missus knows neither what I earn or what I spend.
This way I don’t have to lie :wink:
Canyon Ultimate CF SL
Lynskey R480 build
Boardman CX Comp

We hate "speed" cameras...and mass hysteria..Vive la révolution!!

ratherbeintobago

Postby ratherbeintobago » 27 Apr 2019, 5:03pm

gxaustin wrote:I have a cycling colleague who just got 2 invoices - the real one and the 'acceptable' one. Playing with fire?

There was a bloke on one of the other fora who always bought bikes the same colour so his wife wouldn’t spot that he’d changed it. Not sure how reliable that would be.

Back on topic, if people want to spend their money on Silca stuff, why shouldn’t they? It’s their money (DOI: I have a couple of Silca things and they are indeed very nice and well made, though they probably do fall victim to the law of diminishing returns)

freiston

Postby freiston » 27 Apr 2019, 5:51pm

ratherbeintobago wrote:Back on topic, if people want to spend their money on Silca stuff, why shouldn’t they?
Strictly speaking, that is off topic (the topic is who and why ...buys it, not should or shouldn't ...buy it) and that being said, I don't think that it has been said anywhere in this thread that people shouldn't buy it.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)

fishfright

Postby fishfright » 29 Apr 2019, 12:43pm

I've had a break from this forum for a little while and in my absence this place has become a clone of Pistonheads Forum . GTFUP