...who buys this stuff?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
100%JR

Re: ...who buys this stuff?

Post by 100%JR »

Lance Dopestrong wrote:Mrs Dopestrong wasn't keen on me buying a Rolex when I retired. Being the considerate husband that I am I took her views on board, and bought an almost identical Tudor Pellagos instead and just mumbled vaguely when asked about the cost :lol:

My wife hasn't noticed despite my Festina TDF100 having a bright yellow face and the Tag having a Black one :lol:
freiston

Post by freiston »

100%JR wrote:I don't get why it bothers people so much how others spend their money.I personally wouldn't pay those prices but if someone else wants to then that's their choice.
I have a friend who has 10 bikes.Yes TEN.He only wears Rapha clothing.He rides maybe three or four times a year.It's his money!Despite not having turned a pedal in almost a year he bought a new bike for our trip to Mallorca last May.That bike has been out once since May 2018.He's single so no one is losing out.
RE watches.I like watches.I wanted a Tag Heuer Carrera for my 50th last year but the missus didn't like the idea.I've just bought it myself.It could be considered to be fairly expensive(but in watch terms it isn't really) but IMO it's worth it.I like it and could not care less if anyone else does.I bought it for me.

Let folk buy what they want to buy :roll:

I don't think anyone here has argued against personal choice or that people shouldn't buy what they want to buy. I'm interested in who buys this stuff (the Silca stuff in my OP) and why. I'm not even asking for a justification per se, I'm just trying to get my head around it.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

freiston wrote:
100%JR wrote:I don't get why it bothers people so much how others spend their money.I personally wouldn't pay those prices but if someone else wants to then that's their choice.
I have a friend who has 10 bikes.Yes TEN.He only wears Rapha clothing.He rides maybe three or four times a year.It's his money!Despite not having turned a pedal in almost a year he bought a new bike for our trip to Mallorca last May.That bike has been out once since May 2018.He's single so no one is losing out.
RE watches.I like watches.I wanted a Tag Heuer Carrera for my 50th last year but the missus didn't like the idea.I've just bought it myself.It could be considered to be fairly expensive(but in watch terms it isn't really) but IMO it's worth it.I like it and could not care less if anyone else does.I bought it for me.

I don't think anyone here has argued against personal choice or that people shouldn't buy what they want to buy. I'm interested in who buys this stuff (the Silca stuff in my OP) and why. I'm not even asking for a justification per se, I'm just trying to get my head around it.

Simple answer is people who don’t mind spending £70 on a bottle cage!
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

I do agree with that. The watch thing was just an example of low volume, high profit goods being common place, in some cases, as you point out, the sort of money you could get several houses for.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

freiston wrote: against personal choice or that people shouldn't buy what they want to buy......

Have to admit that at present, I'm tempted by the road bikes at Argos (NB. The catalogue shop, not some high end LBS) :wink:

Don't know why and I'm fairly sure I won't buy, but still; journey after journey replacing chains, cassettes, gear casings, saddle, mudguard, pedal, seat clamp bolt, trueing a buckled wheel, adjusting this and that and the temptation does exist (NB. Probably helped by the fact there's a branch 400 metres away!)

First saw a post on here about the bikes and they do pretty good!
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

The Rolex 6610 that I bought (pre-owned)* in Jan 1985** for £50 was sold in Jan 1989 for £250.
The Rolex Exp II that I bought in Oct 1994 for £1525 was sold for £3250 in Feb 2019 (that was the deposit for the Rolex 214270 acquired in the same month). Rolex watches, especially the sports models always appreciate in price (more so than bikes and cars).

*Needed a service and new bracelet.
**Rolex prices hadn't yet skyrocketed back then
pwa

Post by pwa »

Watches are a good analogy. I have a price ceiling of £100 for watches, since I know how prone I am to scratching them. And a £100 watch will tell the time as well as any watch. For mini pumps you can get as good as there is for about £40. Paying any more is just a voluntary donation to Wiggle or whoever. Fine if you want to but it won't buy you easier puncture repairs. For most products there is a price point beyond which paying more gets you nothing worth having.
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

pwa wrote:..a good analogy... a £100 bike will you from A to B as just like any bike.

FTFY :)
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

I have no problem with people buying it if that's what they fancy. I just can't see the point of buying something for £70 when near identical items of excellent quality are £30, but if someone else can see the point then good luck to them.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Lance Dopestrong wrote:I have no problem with people buying it if that's what they fancy. I just can't see the point of buying something for £70 when near identical items of excellent quality are £30, but if someone else can see the point then good luck to them.

Yes, and after all, you don't have to buy it. It is the sort of thing I wouldn't buy myself but I might buy as an indulgent present for someone.
Lance Dopestrong

Yeah, that wounds bang on the mark. We need a "like" function on this forum ;)
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

I'd wager that we've all bought an item where a cheaper alternative would do. All those living in a
detached or semi house could easily live in a terreaced property. Could be a bit cramped, but it'd
be a dammed sight better that what my parents had to endure during the 1950s.
Lance Dopestrong

Nope, not me.
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

De Sisti wrote:I'd wager that we've all bought an item where a cheaper alternative would do. All those living in a
detached or semi house could easily live in a terreaced property. Could be a bit cramped, but it'd
be a dammed sight better that what my parents had to endure during the 1950s.

I’d wager there’s plenty of people who do so on a daily basis.
You can apply it to almost anything.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

We lived in a circa 1900 terraced property for a dozen years 1985 to 1997 just up the road from here.
Big house, 9ft ceilings, three bedrooms, good bathroom, living room, dining room, big kitchen plus outhouse and huge 100ft garden.
The present occupants have built a loft extension.

Sorry, but not all terraced houses are the same. :D
Mick F. Cornwall