Tax breaks for electric bikes?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Bonefishblues

Re: Tax breaks for electric bikes?

Post by Bonefishblues »

Cugel wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:I'm not remotely interested in a so-called tax break, whatever that is. But I question the need to describe people who happen, for their own reasons, to acquire an e-bike as lazy, hypocritical, ignorant and selfish. Those characteristics can be found in quite a few people who ride bikes and walk.

Messrs Tingling and Poeth may one day become old and limited. I hope they experience generosity and not hate. But I can't help wondering if they have electric lights and torches at home.

Buying an e-bike is not compulsory: you have choices. Using vitriolic language is not compulsory either.

I find zealots of all and every kind a hoot. Tingting's wall-of-text rant is worthy of a very wild-haired Hyde Park Corner jabberer and I'd have him up on his sopbox there in a trice, for all to "admire" in their various fashions of showing "admiration" for his performance.

Bryn just gets a bit obsessive and wants to be "different". Why deny him this harmless hobby? :-)

Cugel, believing tolerance is a virtue, especially of the intolerant themselves.

...until the recipient is upset by it, of course, which I sense is the case here. At that point a line is crossed.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

]
Last edited by reohn2 on 30 Apr 2019, 10:57am, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Ivor Tingting wrote:You are symptomatic of the ignorant selfish people who buy and ride E-bikes. They are not even EEEEEEE bikes. There are MOTOR bikes! It has nothing whatsoever to do with car use. This is your fallacy. To think people like you have corrupted cycling. You are imposters. I take exception that you have the gall to say you are cycling when you are NOT. The whole point here is the selfish justification of people like you who simply cannot be bothered to pedal for themselves. I don't care how fast you go, whether you illegally fiddle with the motors to derestrict so they do considerably faster than allowed. What ever. What I do care about tis the DAMAGE that these so called "bicycles" have contributed to the planet in their manufacture. Are you totally ignorant of where the metals come from to make the motors and batteries? It is nothing to do with other electronic or electrical devices. As if we ever needed motorised bicycles! We didn't. They started appearing as some one or some company thought they could make a lot of money! Do you just close your eyes and ears to this, the huge mining operations around the world and manufacturing processes to manufacture these motors and batteries. Then there is the whole electricity energy industry you need to plug into to keep the batteries charged so you can use the bikes which a conventional bicycle simply doesn't require. From your comment I get the impression you simply do NOT care. Out of sight out of mind, nothing to do with me I only ride the bikes. But you could make a conscious decision and decide NOT to be a part of the marketing scam and stick to riding a conventional all your own effort bicycle without a motor or battery. Your view is typical of motorised bicycle owners justifying their ownership totally ignoring the fact you could still choose to ride a bike without a motor or battery but simply don't because the environmental issues simply don't figure on your radar as you simply don't care. I hate these new motorised bicycles. In my view they go against all that cycling and cyclists have achieved. It is in most peoples human nature to be lazy, to take short cuts, to try to pull one over on others, to try to get something for nothing, to be in denial of reality. Well I suggest you go to Africa, Australia, South America and see the huge open mines where the metals are sourced to make these motors and batteries the huge factories where they are made. It is a huge industry despoiling landscapes and the planet, contributing significant pollution and goes against everything I believe cycling has traditionally represented simply because most people who ride and buy them are simply too lazy to care. if they had any principals then they are quickly ditched. It is shocking. There should no tax breaks whatsoever for these motorised bikes and I object as a tax payer effective subsiding those that manage to get any tax relief on them. In fact they should pay more tax as a penalty for making a bad transport choice.

So vitriolic you posted it twice :D

For the record,I own four solo bicycles a Tern folder,Genesis Vagabond,a Genesis Longitude,and a Salsa Vaya,I also own a KHS childback tandem for taking my many grandchildren out for a ride,none of them are electric assist,though the granchildren give a nice turbo boost when needed :D .
We also own a Circe tandem that's been fitted with an electric assist kit (front wheel motor and a 17ah battery),we were forced to sell our Cannondale and Santana(unassisted)tandems when Mrs R2's health deteriotated due to Parkinson's disease.
The Circe was bought for it's low stepover as Mrs R2's flexibility is affected,Parkinson's syptoms are many and varied one of which is a lack of energy,so electric assist was needed for her to enjoy any cycling at all.
There you have my/our excuses for raping the planet of it's natural resources,and being lazy buggers,which also includes us owning and using a car(evil diesel),using electric and gas in our home that consumes even more of the planet's resourses.As for batteries we also own a mobile phone each,and there's a tablet and laptop in the home all run on LiOn batteries,I also own three cordless drills two have NiMh and one has LiOn batteries,there's also lead acid batteries in the car and in our caravan.
So by your reckoning we're beyond redemption it would seem :roll:
If you live without any of these modern day resourses or travel anywhere and everywhere under your own self propelled effort you have my highest admiration otherwise don't crow.

The problem with zealots is they like to point the finger without considering the overall picture,we humans have been draining the earth's resources since we stood upright and whilst I agree those resources are finite we can reduce our consumption,an e-bike as I stated previously can be part of that reduction if the alternative is an ICE or even an electric powered car.

IMO your claims of purity are spurious and fall flat unless your use of electric and batteries that store that electricity are absent,which I strongly suspect are not.
Last edited by reohn2 on 30 Apr 2019, 11:43am, edited 1 time in total.
W H Auden
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Bonefishblues wrote:
Cugel wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:I'm not remotely interested in a so-called tax break, whatever that is. But I question the need to describe people who happen, for their own reasons, to acquire an e-bike as lazy, hypocritical, ignorant and selfish. Those characteristics can be found in quite a few people who ride bikes and walk.

Messrs Tingling and Poeth may one day become old and limited. I hope they experience generosity and not hate. But I can't help wondering if they have electric lights and torches at home.

Buying an e-bike is not compulsory: you have choices. Using vitriolic language is not compulsory either.

I find zealots of all and every kind a hoot. Tingting's wall-of-text rant is worthy of a very wild-haired Hyde Park Corner jabberer and I'd have him up on his sopbox there in a trice, for all to "admire" in their various fashions of showing "admiration" for his performance.

Bryn just gets a bit obsessive and wants to be "different". Why deny him this harmless hobby? :-)

Cugel, believing tolerance is a virtue, especially of the intolerant themselves.

...until the recipient is upset by it, of course, which I sense is the case here. At that point a line is crossed.

The trick is not to get upset. Loons are legion. We could easily be upset all day long (and in the night time too)!

Instead, I enjoy the entertainment. Don't forget, also, that zealot-mockery is still a legal sport. :-)

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Cugel wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:
Cugel wrote:

The trick is not to get upset. Loons are legion. We could easily be upset all day long (and in the night time too)!

Instead, I enjoy the entertainment. Don't forget, also, that zealot-mockery is still a legal sport. :-)

Cugel

I find vicarious upset more difficult to resist than personal upset.
PH

Post by PH »

reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

W H Auden
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

I used to be sceptical over e-bikes, until I saw one parked outside the cafe at the foot of Cader Idris. its very hilly around there.

Its owner was a gentelman in his 80's, and a lifelong cyclist who was finding the hilly countryside too much for him at that age. Until he bought the pedelec.

So now I'm not sceptical any more! except for some of the so-called pedelecs which are actually electric motobikes, as seen at last year's bike show.

Tax break? I'd love it when I can no longer turn the pedals and need some assistance - the tax break will help my pension last longer.
Last edited by rmurphy195 on 1 May 2019, 11:31am, edited 1 time in total.
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Perhaps people could be enticed to take up e-biking, as they get fitter they could upgrade to 'real bikes' (no motor)*
I cycle to work, 10 km, not hilly, too many cyclists and too little space
Increasing speeds would be disastrous
Maybe they could be limited to 15 kmh

* vocab suggestions please, 'real bike' or what term for a motorless cycle?

Just as an aside, when Brexit happens can we have our miles back please? :wink:
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

rmurphy195 wrote:....... except for some of the so-called pedelecs which are actually electric motobikes, as seen at last year's bike show....

I agree but electric motorcycles are a different animal and are subject to MOT,third party insurance,registration plates and need a motorcycle licence and are subject to the m/cycle helmet law.
What they where doing at a cycle show I don't know,other than MTB's over 250watts ,which are only allowed on private land unless registed as motorcycles for road or bridleway use,whether they're allowed on specific closed trailcentres I've no idea.

One thing that does concern me is illegal pedelelecs being used on the road and on cyclpaths,but with poor state of policing in the UK I imagine it'll become more of a problem in future unless jumped on by that inadequate police force.I'm not holding my breath though :?
W H Auden
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Oldjohnw wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:
MikeF wrote:I would much prefer people use an E bike for a mile or so trip to the shops than a car, which most seem to do at the moment.

One can walk a mile :wink:

Bryn wants everyone except him staying at home all the time and never venturing out. :D We should probably just put us oldies down or isolate us in a ghetto somewhere with occasional food drops.

I am quite old too, got lots of grey hair, planning my retirement :wink:
The Elephant in the Room is space, what happens if more people cycle? Motor traffic must be reduced, after that the streets could be converted, after that there could be more cycling, after a long transition period
I don't think I use vitriolic language, any examples?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:One can walk a mile :wink:

Bryn wants everyone except him staying at home all the time and never venturing out. :D We should probably just put us oldies down or isolate us in a ghetto somewhere with occasional food drops.

I am quite old too, got lots of grey hair, planning my retirement :wink:
The Elephant in the Room is space, what happens if more people cycle? Motor traffic must be reduced, after that the streets could be converted, after that there could be more cycling, after a long transition period
I don't think I use vitriolic language, any examples?

No, you didn't use vitriolic language. Someone else called such as me ignorant, lazy, spawn of the devil (or at least my bike) and much more.

Btw, an ebike would take the same space as a bike.
Last edited by Oldjohnw on 2 May 2019, 3:43am, edited 1 time in total.
John
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Oldjohnw wrote:.......Btw, an ebike would take the same space as a bike.

And if more people were using them instead of cars there'd be more room for everone on the roads :)
W H Auden
Ivor Tingting

Post by Ivor Tingting »

reohn2 wrote:
Ivor Tingting wrote:There should be NO tax breaks for motorised bikes full stop. Any tax breaks should solely be for conventional all your own effort bicycles with NO motor. I cannot understand how people can even consider riding these things let along buying one. Are they so ignorant about the environment or that lazy? The bicycle is one of the most efficient machines ever made with low environmental impact. But the lazy brigade who cannot be bothered to pedal want to stick a motor and li ion batteries on a bicycle making them highly un environmentally friendly. Manufacture of these motors and batteries causes tremendous environmental damage and then again when they are worn out or knackered and chucked in land fill. They are the work of the devil and should be taxed heavily or banned.

When you stop talking tosh people might engage with you until then it ain't worth the trouble.

You really are an unpleasant individual. Idiot!
Last edited by Ivor Tingting on 2 May 2019, 9:46pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Zat is ze reel prowoking qwestion Mr Paxman." - Peer Steinbruck, German Finance Minister 31/03/2009.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Ivor Tingting wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
Ivor Tingting wrote:There should be NO tax breaks for motorised bikes full stop. Any tax breaks should solely be for conventional all your own effort bicycles with NO motor. I cannot understand how people can even consider riding these things let along buying one. Are they so ignorant about the environment or that lazy? The bicycle is one of the most efficient machines ever made with low environmental impact. But the lazy brigade who cannot be bothered to pedal want to stick a motor and li ion batteries on a bicycle making them highly un environmentally friendly. Manufacture of these motors and batteries causes tremendous environmental damage and then again when they are worn out or knackered and chucked in land fill. They are the work of the devil and should be taxed heavily or banned.

When you stop talking tosh people might engage with you until then it ain't worth the trouble.

You really are a nasty individual!

Thank you,you're so kind :D
W H Auden