Box hill, surrey

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
roberts8

Box hill, surrey

Post by roberts8 »

The NT are anticipating closing the ZigZag road May 5 and 6 between 1000 and 1700 if the top car parks are full. They use the road as a linear car park and people walk up and down with cars filtering out down hill. Not sure if bikes will be allowed going up but even going down will be a total pain. Best to avoid the hill and use other hills in the area if it comes about.
MikeF

Re: Box hill, surrey

Post by MikeF »

roberts8 wrote:The NT are anticipating closing the ZigZag road May 5 and 6 between 1000 and 1700 if the top car parks are full. They use the road as a linear car park and people walk up and down with cars filtering out down hill. Not sure if bikes will be allowed going up but even going down will be a total pain. Best to avoid the hill and use other hills in the area if it comes about.
"The problem with Surrey is there are too many cyclists" was quoted to me by a Surrey resident the other day before he knew I cycled. :roll:
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

MikeF wrote:
roberts8 wrote:The NT are anticipating closing the ZigZag road May 5 and 6 between 1000 and 1700 if the top car parks are full. They use the road as a linear car park and people walk up and down with cars filtering out down hill. Not sure if bikes will be allowed going up but even going down will be a total pain. Best to avoid the hill and use other hills in the area if it comes about.
"The problem with Surrey is there are too many cyclists" was quoted to me by a Surrey resident the other day before he knew I cycled. :roll:

Oddly, there are people on these pages who think the same :D
John
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Plus One for thought-provoking comments, too many cyclists? Too many motrons I think, and probably too much TDC :(
Why do people congregate like lemmings on bank holidays? There are plenty of quiet beautiful places even in Surrey, even in London, on lemming days the parks might be quieter than usual
Rewarding oneself with a quiet day at home is a good alternative
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

not a road I would want to ride up. I have on my m/c but cycle :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :shock: :lol: any one who does that is a crazy loon in lyrca. good view from the top on a sunny day a nice place to pass a sunny afternoon
Last edited by mercalia on 4 May 2019, 10:21am, edited 1 time in total.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

No no, cycling down is crazy, cycling up with the right gears and no other cyclists would be great :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
softlips

Post by softlips »

First time I did Ride London, I asked when the real Box Hill began “that was it” I was told. He then saw my club shirt, realised I was from Yorkshire and Box Hill isn’t much of a hill compared to up here - and I’m no climber.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

mercalia wrote:not a road I would want to ride up. I have on my m/c but cycle :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :shock: :lol: any one who does that is a crazy loon in lyrca. good view from the top on a sunny day a nice place to pass a sunny afternoon
I used to ride up and down regularly when I was young. Simply because it was a route for me to travel, and not for any challenge. I had a 3 speed derailleur and too light a bike, but I did have youth.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

softlips wrote:First time I did Ride London, I asked when the real Box Hill began “that was it” I was told. He then saw my club shirt, realised I was from Yorkshire and Box Hill isn’t much of a hill compared to up here - and I’m no climber.

Box Hill isn't much of a hill for Surrey even. It's a very gentle gradient. The point of it seems to be that it's close to London for the hordes, and is a sort of road to nowhere owned by the NT.

There's a list of hills here, which is reasonably complete

https://www.broleur.com/top-10-toughest ... -pyrenees/
Witterings

Post by Witterings »

MikeF wrote:"The problem with Surrey is there are too many cyclists"[/i] was quoted to me by a Surrey resident the other day before he knew I cycled. :roll:

I used to live that way many years ago and have friends that still do and nobody had any complaints about the numbers around Box Hill pre the Olympics but they just massively ballooned thereafter with locals seeing a 50 fold increase in cyclists overnight and it's not as though the infrastructure was designed to accommodate both.

I'm not passing opinion either way and am obviously a cyclist but can emphasis with locals who suddenly saw the area swamped in comparison with what it was like before.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Witterings wrote:
MikeF wrote:"The problem with Surrey is there are too many cyclists"[/i] was quoted to me by a Surrey resident the other day before he knew I cycled. :roll:

I used to live that way many years ago and have friends that still do and nobody had any complaints about the numbers around Box Hill pre the Olympics but they just massively ballooned thereafter with locals seeing a 50 fold increase in cyclists overnight and it's not as though the infrastructure was designed to accommodate both.

I'm not passing opinion either way and am obviously a cyclist but can emphasis with locals who suddenly saw the area swamped in comparison with what it was like before.

They should have banned the cars from the route as an Olympic legacy reward (yes, including the A24 - maybe just one for cycling and walking and leave the other for motoring with a solid fence to hide the view), then the poor snowflakes driving their motors wouldn't have to see them.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

softlips wrote:First time I did Ride London, I asked when the real Box Hill began “that was it” I was told. He then saw my club shirt, realised I was from Yorkshire and Box Hill isn’t much of a hill compared to up here - and I’m no climber.
I've heard about Box Hill, but I doubt any of the riders in that district have ever heard of Gunnislake Hill. :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall
Witterings

Post by Witterings »

mjr wrote:
Witterings wrote:

They should have banned the cars from the route as an Olympic legacy reward (yes, including the A24 - maybe just one for cycling and walking and leave the other for motoring with a solid fence to hide the view), then the poor snowflakes driving their motors wouldn't have to see them.

Easy said when you're location is "Norfolk or Somerset mostly".
mjr

Post by mjr »

Witterings wrote:
mjr wrote:
Witterings wrote:

Easy said when you're location is "Norfolk or Somerset mostly".

The Olympics didn't come to either but don't worry, I'm consistent. I'm currently asking for some on-road parts of National 1 to be closed to through motor traffic as part of the legacy of this year's British Cycling road racing championships. :)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Witterings

Post by Witterings »

mjr wrote:
Witterings wrote:The Olympics didn't come to either but don't worry, I'm consistent. I'm currently asking for some on-road parts of National 1 to be closed to through motor traffic as part of the legacy of this year's British Cycling road racing championships. :)

Hey that's a good idea ... and whilst at it just suggest they close every road there's been a "Big Ride" to motorists after the event .... I'm sure they'll be over the moon as it's their taxation that provided and maintained it in the 1st place for the ride to be able to use it ... in fact ... just close all roads to motorists end of :lol: