Intimidating Motorists?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
thirdcrank

Re: Intimidating Motorists?

Postby thirdcrank » 7 Jun 2019, 9:01pm

Some of the vehicles seized will presumably be abandoned scrappers rather than being used in the everyday meaning of the word but the info in that link seems a strong move in the right direction and something to be encouraged and publicised. The word has to get round.

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 12 Jun 2019, 7:35pm

It's rather belatedly occurred to me that I wrongly assume obscure, outdated knowledge in others, in this case that they are familiar with the humour in
1066 and all that - A Memorable History of England, comprising all the parts you can remember, including 103 Good Things,

pete75

Postby pete75 » 13 Jun 2019, 1:10am

mattheus wrote:My gut reaction to that is positive.

The problem with re-tests (and also with the idea of making ALL drivers re-test more frequently) is - apparently - resources. So you might get a situation where officers/courts hardly ever use this sanction.

Nevertheless, worth looking at, IMHO.

A simpler way would be to require a driving assessment rather than a retest. It could be similar to the pass plus course for new drivers which involves at least 5 hours of driving on all sorts of roads, urban, rural motorways etc and would give a better indication of a person's driving standards than the brief, formal driving test. The assessors are usually professional driving instructors and there are a lot more of them than there are driving testers so resources would be less of a problem too.

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 13 Jun 2019, 6:08am

Hobbyhorse alert: My own Harry Secombe manifesto would involve recognising that there's much more to being a safe driver than technical skill (which can lead to arrogance.) As a starter, I'd have retests for repeat or serious offenders involving psychometric testing. Eventually, it could be part of the initial test although If I Ruled the World I'd be able to introduce it immediately.

The role of insurers has been mentioned and I've suggested before that more enforcement could be outsourced to them.