Checking gpx routes

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
mattheus

Re: Checking gpx routes

Post by mattheus »

I think you're BOTH right!

[and to be fair, I suspect Mick is quite capable of using a paper map : x ]
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

:D
Thanks!

Yes, I love maps - paper as well as computer - and would rather study a map than read a book. I have quite a collection of OS maps and a couple of road atlases. One enjoyment I have is to compare older maps with modern ones and see how the roads have changed and how the towns have evolved and spread.

I wouldn't bother with a paper map when out on the bike any more.
Monty does it all! :D
Mick F. Cornwall
Tinnishill

Post by Tinnishill »

Unread postby mattheus » 28 May 2019, 9:34am
I think you're BOTH right!

[and to be fair, I suspect Mick is quite capable of using a paper map : x ]

I didn't use the word "paper", and I was thinking about all the novices out there rather than the old stagers. Mike had already mentioned that he had addressed his audax problem using OS mapping.

I teach this stuff; land navigation for hiking,skiing, canoeing, cycling and orienteering. Being able to read a map of any format is the foundation, then if your electronics do anything a bit odd you will spot it a lot quicker. For a beginner touring cyclist I would recommend attending some sort of nav training equivalent to the National Navigation Awards Bronze level. Even seeking out a mate who can navigate to that level and learning from them would help. On of the most common reasons for Mountain Rescue incidents is exhaustion following a navigation error; nobody that I know keeps comparable statistics for cycling but I would expect that a lot of trips are less than optimum because of similar reasons.

If anybody wanted a challenge set for them, than Mountain Bike Orienteering is a good laugh.
Agitate, educate, organise.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

:D :D
Excellent.

Yes, I used the computer thingy to check on the whole route and I also commented on the "fact" that it wasn't a 160Km Audax but a 107mile Audax.

................. but then I followed the "correct" route. :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall