Frame Warranty

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
BrightonRock

Frame Warranty

Postby BrightonRock » 27 May 2019, 4:01am

Just purchased a Boardman aluminium frame from circa 2013. Whopping creaking noise from the BB any time I go up a hill. I've read there are a lot of issues with Boardmans of this era. Anyone know the warranty situation? Applicable to original owners only?

Spinners

Re: Frame Warranty

Postby Spinners » 27 May 2019, 6:26am

Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)

NUKe

Postby NUKe » 27 May 2019, 7:23am

BrightonRock wrote:Just purchased a Boardman aluminium frame from circa 2013. Whopping creaking noise from the BB any time I go up a hill. I've read there are a lot of issues with Boardmans of this era. Anyone know the warranty situation? Applicable to original owners only?

A 6 year old secondhand frame. Are you talking about the manufacturers warranty, or whether you can get your money back, from where you bought? First your one you are well outside, the 2 year it had. Second depends on so many things, like how long ago, where etc.

However unless you can see cracks, the noise you describe can be so many things, that can be solved easily. Best thing to do is service the bike, clean and regrease where appropriate, make sure all the bolts are correctly tightened, with a torque wrench preferably.
NUKe

ANTONISH

Postby ANTONISH » 27 May 2019, 8:36am

Aluminium frames tend to amplify sounds.
The noise may come from a slight movement in the bottom bracket, or the rear QR may not be as tight as it should be.
It's hard to pin down - I once had an appalling noise and thought the frame was cracked only to find it was a rubbing mudguard bridge.
I would remove all unnecessary accessories and try the bike to see if the noise persists.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 27 May 2019, 8:47am

BB?
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

peetee

Postby peetee » 27 May 2019, 8:50am

I have had a lot of Boardman bikes through my workshop and have to say that I have not come across a larger than normal number of frame-related problems. On the contrary, they seem to be well up to the abuse that is often dished out to them. And that is what really stands out in my experience, namely, Boardman bikes are frequently owned by people who abuse their machines by putting off maintenance and repairs til the bike is unrideable. Cross your fingers you haven't got one of those that was owned by someone handy with a jetwash when it came to selling it.
You don't say what crankset is fitted but even if it is a decent one don't be surprised if a much cheaper bottom bracket has been fitted - they can make noises like a gunshot when they are dry and worn out.
Current status report:
Latter side of fifty and feeling less than nifty.
Too many bikes on pegs and too few miles in the legs.

drossall

Postby drossall » 27 May 2019, 10:46am

My son has a Boardman CX frame of roughly that age. It's driven us (and Halfords, where he took it back several times) nuts with creaking, but no identifiable fault. It's been fine otherwise. From what I recall, there was talk of more than the normal number of Boardman frames having that problem, but of course a collection of posts on social media do not really constitute solid statistical evidence.

The bike's been fine otherwise, and he still rides it.

Oldjohnw

Postby Oldjohnw » 27 May 2019, 12:43pm

I thought your preferred style would be to just throw it through the shop window.
John

Cycling and recycling

Audax67

Postby Audax67 » 27 May 2019, 12:50pm

reohn2 wrote:BB?

My bet too. Last PBP mine started to creak at around 100k in and kept it up for the next 1130. Aargh. New bike it was, too.
Have we got time for another cuppa?

TrevA

Postby TrevA » 27 May 2019, 3:13pm

It’s worth a punt at a warranty claim.

My wife had a Specialized Dolce bought in 2011. A couple of years ago it started making an awful creaking noise. I identified a crack around the bottom bracket shell. We took it back to Evans and after a bit of toing and froing with Specialized (who initially said it was just the paint that was cracked), we got new frame out of them.

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 27 May 2019, 5:35pm

frame warranties are not usually transferrable, so with a used bike you are (in theory) on your own.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~