Why has the nozzle on my Camelbak bottle turned pink?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
pedalsheep

Re: Why has the nozzle on my Camelbak bottle turned pink?

Post by pedalsheep »

Well I've pulled all the bits apart and soaked them in Milton for 24 hours (I had previously done this in Steradent a week or so ago). It's still pink! It should have killed any nasties though. I think it may be just discoloration by UV or something similar. It's used and washed daily and I've never had an issue with the many other bottles I've used over the years.
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

bleach?
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

I think the discoloration arises in the same way as (say) mildew marks all kinds of things. What is slightly weird is that some apparently 100% dense plastics seem to take up the discoloration on a near-permanent basis. Killing the bugs and living with the discoloration seems to be the path of least resistance.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

I think that I'd throw it away and buy a new SiS bottle to replace it. Cheaper than spending time on the internet!
RickH

Post by RickH »

If the bottle is fine you can get a new cap relatively inexpensively - spare nozzles don't seem to be available by themselves (unless I've just not looked hard enough).

With the old design blue nozzles you could get replacements of just the nozzle with a captive cap (aka Mud Cap) to keep out the dirt. The current Mud Cap seems to be just an add-on rather than a whole nozzle.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.