Benefits of upgrading an old(ish) Trek hybrid

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
.Finbar

Benefits of upgrading an old(ish) Trek hybrid

Post by .Finbar »

I regularly consider using cycle to work to upgrade my current Trek hybrid. It’s been taken care of over the years but the back wheel now needs rebuilding and, before spending more on it, I am keen to understand the pros and cons of changing to a newer model or indeed upgrading components on what I have.

I have a Trek 7.2 FX 2011 and use it for 15 miles of commuting each day and 30-50 rides on some weekends with the occasional longer sportive. Mostly road but some occasional gravel tracks. https://archive.trekbikes.com/us/en/2011/trek/72fx#/us/en/2011/trek/72fx/details

It would be great to get some opinions and recommendations...
Brucey

Re: Benefits of upgrading an old(ish) Trek hybrid

Post by Brucey »

if you buy a more recent machine you might be able to get more gears, disc brakes and/or slightly reduced weight, if you want those things. But none of them will transform the whole ride, and some 'upgrades' just end up being troublesome and/or costing you more money in the long run.

FWIW I'd be tempted to use something like the present machine for commuting (because it is functional and it has low consumable costs) and to get something different for the weekends, but that is just me.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
peetee

Post by peetee »

Consider where you will be leaving it each day you commute. There is a lot to be said for riding a tired looking old bike if it's left somewhere unsecure.
I would also support the low consumable cost approach. Commuting bikes rarely get the maintenance attention that weekend bikes get, mile for mile, and being out in all weathers takes its toll. Servicing a 11 speed system over, say, an 8 speed will definitely involve more outlay. Also, if the back wheel has lasted this long it has done well. In my experience cassette hubs on new bikes are becoming increasingly incapable of surviving poor weather. Freehub failure is common and sourcing parts a nightmare.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
vat1666firerates1

Post by vat1666firerates1 »

peetee wrote:Consider where you will be leaving it each day you commute. There is a lot to be said for riding a tired looking old bike if it's left somewhere unsecure.
I would also support the low consumable cost approach. Commuting bikes rarely get the maintenance attention that weekend bikes get, mile for mile, and being out in all weathers takes its toll. Servicing a 11 speed system over, say, an 8 speed will definitely involve more outlay. Also, if the back wheel has lasted this long it has done well. In my experience cassette hubs on new bikes are becoming increasingly incapable of surviving poor weather. Freehub failure is common and sourcing parts a nightmare.
I am surprised by your comment. Screw on block wheel had history of breaking axls if more than 5/6 speeds. A freehub that is 7/8 speed has wider spaced bearing so more reliable . I agree 9/10/11/12 and now 13 speed are by their nature less reliable required more maintenance.
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

Screw on block wheel had history of breaking axls if more than 5/6 speeds.

There is now a cheap fix for that.
peetee

Post by peetee »

vat1666firerates1 wrote:
peetee wrote:Consider where you will be leaving it each day you commute. There is a lot to be said for riding a tired looking old bike if it's left somewhere unsecure.
I am surprised by your comment. Screw on block wheel had history of breaking axls if more than 5/6 speeds. A freehub that is 7/8 speed has wider spaced bearing so more reliable . I agree 9/10/11/12 and now 13 speed are by their nature less reliable required more maintenance.

Fair point, perhaps I didnt make it clearer. I am experiencing issues with recent freehubs as opposed to older ones. Lots more bikes have them as standard and lots of hubs are unbranded and very hard to obtain parts for and even when they are available the suppliers can be confused as to what is the right part for the job. Its a bigger issue when it is a freehub and the weather gets into the freewheel mechanism.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

I've used the Megarange freehubs in 6/7 speed for years in all weathers and never had a problem> I do pack them well with grease on installation though. Where is the weather getting in? They are pretty cheap to replace if you have had decent mileage out of them.
vat1666firerates1

Post by vat1666firerates1 »

bigjim wrote:
Screw on block wheel had history of breaking axls if more than 5/6 speeds.

There is now a cheap fix for that.

Details please
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

Google it. I think the link is on here somewhere on one of my replies to Brucey. Basically you buy a sealed bearing for about £2.50 and insert it over the axle on the drive side. This supports the freewheel better by moving the bearing further out. There is a full diagram on the link. The link is also on Crazyguyonabike somewhere. I did have it available but have changed my hard drive since and lost it. If I come across it I'll post it.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

earliest reference to such on this forum (that I know of) is rjb's post here;

https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=38535

but if you search for 'outrigger bearing' you will find plenty of other (later) references to this scheme.

FWIW I wanted to try an outrigger bearing in the 1980s but didn't; the main reason why not was that, at the time, I was using SunTour freewheels and the ones I had did not have an accurately machined centre bore. I concluded that unless quite a bit of extra machining was carried out, the scheme might (with those freewheels, or any that were not machined accurately) generate extra axle fatigue loads, rather than eliminate them.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

A wheel rebuild isnt that pricy, and a new wheel of comparable quality isn't likely to be financially unviable. If the bike's otherwise good and you like it then I'd be inclined to get it done if it were mine. Perhaps a new wheel with a freewheel set up?

Beyond that, decent tyres can make a world of difference, as can a good saddle, grips, and brake friction material. Those are as-time-goes-by upgrades worth doing on most bikes. Beyond that, if you fancy a radical improvement then a shiny new bike might be your best choice.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

This is an article about the bearing. Not the original article I saw though. I'll keep looking as it's bugging me now.

http://www.pardo.net/bike/pic/fail-025/000.html
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

BUT I fixed it anyway. Get a 22mmO/D 10mmI/D sealed ball bearing and install it on the axle so it lines up with the outer edge of the cluster. The bearing will fit snugly (light push fit) into the special socket castlation used to remove the gear cluster (this is a shimano hub btw) Juggle the spacers and lock nuts around so the bearing sits in the right position. (Photo)

What this does is transfer pedaling and load forces directly to the frame and not through the centre of the axle (where the cone is) in a leverage."
Pics
yutkoxpo

Post by yutkoxpo »

.Finbar wrote:I regularly consider using cycle to work to upgrade my current Trek hybrid. It’s been taken care of over the years but the back wheel now needs rebuilding and, before spending more on it, I am keen to understand the pros and cons of changing to a newer model or indeed upgrading components on what I have.

I have a Trek 7.2 FX 2011 and use it for 15 miles of commuting each day and 30-50 rides on some weekends with the occasional longer sportive. Mostly road but some occasional gravel tracks. https://archive.trekbikes.com/us/en/2011/trek/72fx#/us/en/2011/trek/72fx/details

It would be great to get some opinions and recommendations...

First of all the practicalities..
Do you have space for 2 bikes or will you replace the old bike with a new one? If you have the space, then the advice to get a weekend or adventure bike would seem to be the way to go.
Security: A new bike will be more attractive to thieves. How secure is your home & work storage?
What is "missing" from your current bike that you would want on a new one?
Can you upgrade your current bike to include these "missing" items? If so, at what cost?

One advantage of an older bike with older components is that the consumables are typically cheaper - chains, cassettes etc. Depending on your technical knowledge, they may be easier to maintain yourself.
Another advantage is that you know and presumably are comfortable on this bike. Don't underestimate the value of a comfortable ride!
Sometimes a good service can have an older bike running like new.

If you do want a new bike have a good think about what it is that you want in the new bike.
ratherbeintobago

Post by ratherbeintobago »

If you’re happy with the bike, it’ll probably not cost the earth to get the wheel rebuilt (or even re-rimmed if the hub is sound).