Spa ti touring frame.

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
iandriver

Spa ti touring frame.

Post by iandriver »

Well, just ordered a Spa Ti touring frame. My size only left for £500, but at that money, I'll make it fly.

https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s143p23 ... and-forks-

Doesn't seem to be much info on the frame (I trust spa enough to not be overly worrying) but would like to know the seat post diameter and clamp required etc. Don't know if it comes with one. I never liked my long haul trucker, for reasons I can't explain, so have been touring on a CX frame. It's far from ideal in reality with band on bottle cages and a p clipped on rack, but hopefully most the parts will swap across. Image
Dynamo hubs, Deore 9 speed parts, vee brakes. The cockpit won't be for everyone, but for me it works a lot better than it looks. Looking forward to this one.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
fatboy

Re: Spa ti touring frame.

Post by fatboy »

Takes a 27.2 standard seat post. Will probably come with a clamp (every frame I've got from them has had one). They are great frames and the geometry is perfect IMHO.
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

fatboy wrote:Takes a 27.2 standard seat post. Will probably come with a clamp (every frame I've got from them has had one). They are great frames and the geometry is perfect IMHO.

Brilliant, thanks. That means it's pretty much a straight swap.
The current rear wheel is an LX hub, respaced to 132.5, so should just drop in a treat. Next tour is probably the southern Utah nation parks. Really didn't want to do it on a bodged up shed special, which, let's face it, the old one rather is.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

never seen spa cycles touring frame with bullhorns on!

Not that many folk will want to but one thing I am not sure if is if you can run a traditional 'road double' (eg 42-52) in that frameset at the usual chainline; the chainstays are pretty straight. Lots of clearance for slightly wider tyres though. I wonder how much it differs to ride from the LHT though?

The third set of bottle bosses might come in handy in Utah; its pretty dry there.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

Brucey wrote:never seen spa cycles touring frame with bullhorns on!

Not that many folk will want to but one thing I am not sure if is if you can run a traditional 'road double' (eg 42-52) in that frameset at the usual chainline; the chainstays are pretty straight. Lots of clearance for slightly wider tyres though. I wonder how much it differs to ride from the LHT though?

The third set of bottle bosses might come in handy in Utah; its pretty dry there.

cheers

I love bullhorns. Lots of hand positions and the gear levers right where you want them. Living in the windy flatlands here, I've gotten used to Tri bars too and now wouldn't be without them. But hey, that's why we build our own :D

My LHT is the 26inch wheeled version which I have 2 inch Supremes on. I think this is the problem. I can't put my finger on it, but I just feels dead. Other tyres have been tried. 42-52! Witchcraft! :D it'll never see anything but a MTB triple.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

maybe this is for another thread but what 26" tyres have you tried? I've built/ridden multiple 26" wheeled touring oriented bikes and they have mostly been pretty 'dead' feeling too. I'm happy enough to accept this if (say) the bike has to fold or carry an absurd weight but for everything else it is rather off-putting.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

So my mind now turns to anti sieze. I understand it's particularly important for Ti. Headset cups and everything. Finish line don't seem to do ti prep anymore. Regular grease?
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

Brucey wrote:maybe this is for another thread but what 26" tyres have you tried? I've built/ridden multiple 26" wheeled touring oriented bikes and they have mostly been pretty 'dead' feeling too. I'm happy enough to accept this if (say) the bike has to fold or carry an absurd weight but for everything else it is rather off-putting.

cheers

I've tried marathon Supremes in 2 in and continental contacts in 1.75. The old folding big apples too that you can't get any more. I think the style of what I want has changed. I find it so easy to book Airbnb accomodation on the continent now that I can't be bothered to camp anymore. I got on fine on the CX bike on a 50 50 tarmac off-road trip down Italy with 36h 700c and 35c tyres. The bike was perfect except the frame in terms of mounts etc was lacking. I wouldn't trust it to last forever.
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

Hi
So my mind now turns to anti sieze

Nickel-based (link) would be the gold standard, I'm not sure that you'll need 500g :) maybe they do samples?
Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
alexnharvey

Post by alexnharvey »

Loctite heavy duty 8009 for stainless and titanium.

Available from various places for about 24 pounds for a lb of it. Can't see a smaller pack but still cheap compared to a stuck BB!
Last edited by alexnharvey on 2 Jun 2019, 10:03am, edited 1 time in total.
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

Have you thought about headsets? My spa ti audax came with a Tange which was not good. I put in a Hope which I’m very pleased with.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

My steel tourer frame&fork was supplied with the same tange terious headset. Absolute bugger to get it set with just enough pressure to eliminate play without causing it to grind.
I put up with it for a year before swapping it out for an FSA orbit alloy cartridge jobby. Much nicer now.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

I've got an FSA MX in stock, so will probably go with that if I don't like the look of the one supplied.

I'll look into Loctite as anti siezy. That and the nickle based ones both seem to be poular choices over standard grease.
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

Didn't do the bullhorns in the end. Went traditional. All good so far. Did the planet X spinatchi what ever rip off thing with the shifters, working well.

Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

iandriver wrote:Didn't do the bullhorns in the end. Went traditional. All good so far. Did the planet X spinatchi what ever rip off thing with the shifters, working well.

Posting pictures like that isn't good for my wallet!

Cheers James