Travel insurance

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
roberts8

Travel insurance

Postby roberts8 » 5 Jun 2019, 12:57pm

Having a few trips coming up I got quotes for annual european travel insurance. I am over 70 and my wife is just under and we are both in good health.

One quote was just under £500 so I phoned my building society as I get cover on my account and added my wife onto the policy, all for £90. It was just to wonder where they get these massive figures from and do people really pay that much?

mjr

Re: Travel insurance

Postby mjr » 5 Jun 2019, 1:14pm

roberts8 wrote:Having a few trips coming up I got quotes for annual european travel insurance. I am over 70 and my wife is just under and we are both in good health.

One quote was just under £500 so I phoned my building society as I get cover on my account and added my wife onto the policy, all for £90. It was just to wonder where they get these massive figures from and do people really pay that much?

Check your policy carefully. Some bundled account insurances exclude pre-existing conditions, which can be a serious problem. Other favourite tricks which may be problems for readers here is that some exclude cycle touring, cycling without hard hats, cycling above a certain altitude, cycling in certain countries (sometimes Spain or non-EU Europe) or all on-road or off-road cycling.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

roberts8

Postby roberts8 » 5 Jun 2019, 2:06pm

I did check any pre conditions and it is fine as is cycle touring. You raise a good point about cover if not wearing a helmet and off road but as I will be wearing a lid and using roads it will not be a problem. I wonder how many people check before heading off?

mjr

Postby mjr » 5 Jun 2019, 2:30pm

roberts8 wrote:[...] as I will be wearing a lid and using roads it will not be a problem.

In some countries, signs tell you to ride off road and non-compliance is fineable. I wonder if your insurer will pay the fines.

Your lack of support for preserving freedom of choice of headwear is noted.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.