Recommendations for novice 115kg female

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Mrsashy77

Recommendations for novice 115kg female

Post by Mrsashy77 »

Hi all,

Just after a quick bit of help in sourcing the best bike for little old me - 115kg (yes, I know) novice cyclist looking to ride on the road/cycle paths with my husband and young daughter. I had a small go on my husbands bike recently (standard decathlon purchase) but obviously the tyres were unhappy with my weight and the seat was hideously uncomfortable.
So if anyone can recommend a good starting place for me that doesn’t cost the earth I’d be super grateful. Cheers in advance
Cyril Haearn

Re: Recommendations for novice 115kg female

Post by Cyril Haearn »

The info is on these fora already, just try searching
Some bikes are marked with maximum recommended weights
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Welcome. Female-specific saddles are available, and better fit the female form, improving comfort. What sort of budget are you thinking about - and would you be prepared to buy (a lot more for your £) second hand?
Mrsashy77

Post by Mrsashy77 »

Thanks for the reply but I didn’t want to just know maximum user weights I actually would like recommendations based on the fact that I’m a novice and what I want to use it for. Many thanks
Mrsashy77

Post by Mrsashy77 »

Bonefishblues wrote:Welcome. Female-specific saddles are available, and better fit the female form, improving comfort. What sort of budget are you thinking about - and would you be prepared to buy (a lot more for your £) second hand?

Thanks for the reply. Yes I definitely think a female saddle would be right for me and yes definitely second hand is preferable as it’s the best place to start I think :)
random37

Post by random37 »

My other half is the same size as you (actually a bit bigger), and hasn't ridden for years.
I bought her an Elephant Bike:
https://www.cycleofgood.com/elephant-bike/
It's a gorgeous colour, and very confidence inspiring for a bike path. You absolutely will not break it, and you can have the bars and stem in the right places that you're not bending over when you ride and you can get your feet on the ground easily. Take the basket off the front at first though. She was nervous on our first trip out on it, but it's early days, and afterwards, she had a huge grin on her face.
If you want a female specific squishy beginner's saddle, I think I have one in my spares bin. If it hasn't gone to the charity shop, I will send it you to give you a nudge to your new hobby - just PM your postal address.
Mrsashy77

Post by Mrsashy77 »

random37 wrote:My other half is the same size as you (actually a bit bigger), and hasn't ridden for years.
I bought her an Elephant Bike:
https://www.cycleofgood.com/elephant-bike/
It's a gorgeous colour, and very confidence inspiring for a bike path. You absolutely will not break it, and you can have the bars and stem in the right places that you're not bending over when you ride and you can get your feet on the ground easily. Take the basket off the front at first though. She was nervous on our first trip out on it, but it's early days, and afterwards, she had a huge grin on her face.
If you want a female specific squishy beginner's saddle, I think I have one in my spares bin. If it hasn't gone to the charity shop, I will send it you to give you a nudge to your new hobby - just PM your postal address.

Thank you so very much! Firstly for the recommendation which I love as it’s a great cause too :D but also for the offer of the saddle that is so very kind of you thank you. I will most definitely make great use of that if you still have it :D
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

What's your budget?

Most bikes will cope with your weight.

If buying new then make sure rear hub is cassette tyre not old style screw on freehub.
Cassette axles are better supported so less likely to snap.

If you have a bike library near you you can pick up a good bike cheap or borrow on to see if you like it.

A Raleigh pioneer would be a good second hand buy especially if you can find a Reynolds tube model one better spec gears.

Cheers James
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

What does the above mean James (as in, the lady is a novice, so better explanation may assist :D )
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

I'd second the elephant bike too. It will also do very well for utility work, and you can get just as much exercise on a trip to the supermarket as anywhere else.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

Brucey wrote:I'd second the elephant bike too. It will also do very well for utility work, and you can get just as much exercise on a trip to the supermarket as anywhere else.

cheers
If you get something decent like the elephant bike, a lock and a set of cheap Decathlon brand panniers, then you can start to fit cycling in to your daily routine.

After a long illness, I was a similar weight, I've now dropped more than 25kg, not by going out and doing ridiculous mileage, but by doing 2 things:
* Replacing short car and bus trips with riding. Within a couple of months it becomes a habit.
* Reducing carb intake. (This is a lot easier than I feared - replace crisps with popcorn, rice with vegetables, etc.)

The local Cycling UK branch will probably run some good, short rides too.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Bonefishblues wrote:What does the above mean James (as in, the lady is a novice, so better explanation may assist :D )

A cassette hub has the cassette of gears on splines like a gear on a shaft has a keyway see here

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spline_(mechanical)

Most better bikes will have them. Bast asking at a Halfords or bike shop.

Cheers James
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

I think the Elephant bike has an enclosed Sturmey Archer type hub gear rather than a cassette style gear.

I'm not experienced enough to discuss the relative merits of that system, perhaps someone else could chip in.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
DaveGos

Post by DaveGos »

As others have said depends on your budget. I am 103 kg and have no problems with bikes. I have cycling friends who have been a lot bigger, they tended to write off the odd wheel occasionally on road bikes. Sounds like you are on a fairly limited budget. I always subscribe to the philosophy with any sport, start very cheap and then when you understand what suits you more , upgrade. To this end I would buy a Mountain Bike possibly second hand , front suspension only . Save your budget for a saddle , but you will need to try a few out first.
ratherbeintobago

Post by ratherbeintobago »

DaveGos wrote:To this end I would buy a Mountain Bike possibly second hand, front suspension only.

I’d disagree there. Cheap suspension forks are heavy and don’t work all that well, and a bike with decent forks sub-£250 is likely to have seen a hard or lengthy life (and will need setting up and possibly servicing if not knackered). It really doesn’t sound like the OP is planning on shredding the gnar any time soon, anyway.

I’d really go with a rigid fork. Something like a Carrera Subway s/h wouldn’t be a bad plan, I wouldn’t have thought, though as Brucey says the Elephant Bike may be ideal.