Advice on kids bike (Islabikes or Saracen)

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Gstar

Re: Advice on kids bike (Islabikes or Saracen)

Post by Gstar »

Morning all

After reading all threat comments I could not convince myself that new Saracen would be a better bike than s/h Isla at the same price mark of £200.

Therefore, we bought two Isla Cnon over the weekend - 14" with stabilisers for younger and 16" without stabilisers for older girl. My first impression (positive surprise) was that on Internet they tend to look much bigger than in real life. The bikes are very light and easy to carry both at the same time and for the girls to learn how to ride a bike.

My older 4,5 year old daughter have tried 16" without the pedals for half an hour as a balance bike. She could balance it well and insisted to put the pedals back, so I did. To my surprise she could ride a bike! I just helped her to set off and obviously I was supporting her from behind so she feels more confident. She would need to practice how to set off from stationery without falling but overall what a result in a few hours of owning the bike.

We did not try Saracen and will not be able tell if we made a right decision but so far no regrets.

Many thanks
G
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Gstar wrote:
My older 4,5 year old daughter have tried 16" without the pedals for half an hour as a balance bike. She could balance it well and insisted to put the pedals back, so I did. To my surprise she could ride a bike! I just helped her to set off and obviously I was supporting her from behind so she feels more confident. She would need to practice how to set off from stationery without falling but overall what a result in a few hours of owning the bike.

The above sounds very familiar, it's remarkable how, when you give them the right kit kids, well, just ride! :D

She needs to be able to set off in all conditions, mind, so push the envelope there :wink:
Gstar

Post by Gstar »

She needs to be able to set off in all conditions, mind, so push the envelope there :wink:

Good tips! thanks
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I feel mean now.

...no, I'm over it :lol:

Enjoy watching your kids ride - you made the right choice.
ratherbeintobago

Post by ratherbeintobago »

Bonefishblues wrote:She needs to be able to set off in all conditions, mind, so push the envelope there :wink:

Aye, I can remember #1 spawn hurtling round the park on her Cnoc 16 in the sheeting rain, in a Last of the Flandrians stylee.

Gstar - sounds like it’s all worked out well for you?
Gstar

Post by Gstar »

I think so! It would be nice to have both bikes to make my own opinion but life is too short for that. I assume there must be a lot of happy kids riding Saracen otherwise there would be only one bike manufacturer on the market... Isla

Thanks
G
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Gstar wrote:

I think so! It would be nice to have both bikes to make my own opinion but life is too short for that. I assume there must be a lot of happy kids riding Saracen otherwise there would be only one bike manufacturer on the market... Isla

Thanks
G

I think as they get older and stronger there are more options. We've gone Isla for first bike proper, then Frog for first geared bike, and now Genesis 24" wheel for first 'big bike'.

Of course there's also these: https://earlyrider.com/collections/pedal-bikes

...but rather spendy!
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

I saw an advert recently where for a fixed lease fee, the kids bike is replaced every time they grow out of one.

Think Chris Hoy may have been in the advert.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

PCP for kids. Start 'em early!
ratherbeintobago

Post by ratherbeintobago »

st599_uk wrote:I saw an advert recently where for a fixed lease fee, the kids bike is replaced every time they grow out of one.

Think Chris Hoy may have been in the advert.

Isla was talking about this but I don’t know how far she’s got. The idea was that the bikes would be refurbished and passed back out (which to be fair is pretty much what happens with Islabikes and eBay now).

Bonefishblues wrote:I think as they get older and stronger there are more options. We've gone Isla for first bike proper, then Frog for first geared bike, and now Genesis 24" wheel for first 'big bike'.

Of course there's also these: https://earlyrider.com/collections/pedal-bikes

...but rather spendy!

One of #1 spawn’s friends had a 16” wheel Earlyrider. It was very nice indeed but had only been bought as they’d got a very good deal. You’re right about the options increasing with size - the proportional weight difference gets less…
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”