Best Bike (very) Overweight

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
WOT

Re: bike advice for heavy rider and new to bikes

Postby WOT » 19 May 2020, 9:18am

531colin wrote:
WOT wrote:https://www.decathlon.co.uk/rc500-flat-bar-disc-road-bike-sora-id_8554412.html

Perhaps something like this?
Add a lock, helmet, bottle, bottle cage and mudguards, pump and puncture repair kit and you should be good to go.

In due course change the tyres to 35mm wide schwalbe marathon plus.

28 spoke wheels and a caution not to carry heavy bags. what could possibly go wrong?

Colin is correct, wheels are not up to the task.

al_yrpal

Postby al_yrpal » 19 May 2020, 10:21am

If you are thinking a bike will help you loose weight fast you will be disappointed. An hours ride will consume anything between 500 to 650 calories. A pound of fat is 3500 calories. Getting on the bike regularly will obviously have good health effects, as I am sure you are aware it will strengthen your lungs and boost your immune system making you more likely to survive if you get the virus.
You will shed weight fast with the right diet. I recommend you use My Fitness Pal an application that runs on phones, tablets and PCs. It enabled me to shed 48 pounds pretty rapidly. At your weight you should do a lot better. My friends daughter is a Doctor working with Covid patients and she says the common factor with many of those who die is clearly obesity although that is not widely broadcast or emphasised.
The very best of luck with your endeavors, its not easy in any way.

Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. Make a difference...

Trigger

Postby Trigger » 19 May 2020, 11:20am

al_yrpal is spot on, by all means start cycling for health reasons or just to enjoy it, or for whatever reason you like as it is nobody else's business!

But don't rely on it, or any other exercise, for weight loss. As the saying goes 'you can't out train a bad diet'. So if weight loss is the goal here then make sure you get the food side of things absolutely nailed down before being disappointed that you haven't lost any weight from cycling.

I'm a prime example, many years ago when I started from scratch I weighed 15 stone dead on, after a few years and getting up to doing regular 200km rides, commuting and fetching shopping etc. all by bike, I think most people would class that as being a fair amount of cycling (apart from the 600k audax nutters) and yet right at the end when I packed it in guess what I weighed? Yes, dead on 15 stone.

Ironically I lost most of the weight after packing in cycling and exercise altogether :lol:

lewisedwards82

Postby lewisedwards82 » 19 May 2020, 6:37pm

i know cycling doesnt burn as much off as running etc and i know diet is the main thing that matters but my thinking is that it will give me some form of exercise and get me in a positive place health wise while also filling the nights were i might have beers and takeaways with cycling

spoke to someone at evans cycles today and there open for click and collect. they adviced me of 2 bikes but there both over £1000. not sure what to do as im about to buy a new van for 10k so to buy a bike for another £1200 is alot to find at once.

Jdsk

Postby Jdsk » 19 May 2020, 6:46pm

lewisedwards82 wrote:i know cycling doesnt burn as much off as running etc and i know diet is the main thing that matters but my thinking is that it will give me some form of exercise and get me in a positive place health wise while also filling the nights were i might have beers and takeaways with cycling

You're right. Go for it.

Jonathan

PH

Postby PH » 19 May 2020, 7:10pm

lewisedwards82 wrote:i know cycling doesnt burn as much off as running etc and i know diet is the main thing that matters but my thinking is that it will give me some form of exercise and get me in a positive place health wise while also filling the nights were i might have beers and takeaways with cycling

It's also a really good motivator, if you loose say 5 kg you will notice the difference every time you get on the bike, which will encourage you to lose more, you notice the effect far more than just looking at the scales. I struggle with weight, I find it easier to lose it than to keep it off, the hardest part is the commitment that it's what you'e going to do, a regular bike ride does help with that routine.
I had a quick google for secondhand bike businesses in Birmingham, there's a few though I have no experience with any of them. IMO, you don't need to spend a grand on a bike for what you want, get yourself a decent hybrid or rigid MTB, make sure it has appropriate gears and tyres and just get riding. If you find it's for you, treat yourself to a top notch bike when you reach that goal. By then you'll have a good idea of what you want, or if you're really lucky that you don't need anymore than you already have (OK - that's never happened)
When things get back to normal you could also start looking at local groups to ride with, they're not all racing clubs and from what I know of Birmingham there's plenty of choice.
Good luck, both with the bike hunting and the weight loss.

gregoryoftours

Postby gregoryoftours » 20 May 2020, 12:22am

Hello, I have a related query that I hope you don't mind me adding to this thread, because it may be that people who have relevant experience may see it. Basically I'm looking for recommendations for a new rider 6'9", 110kg. He wants to ride flat bars, easy trails off road, maybe extending to a little bit of xc at the most extreme. Budget of £400-£800. I've suggested 29er due to his height, rigid to get a better bike for the money and because of the riding he hopes to do. Does anyone have any suggestions or experience of a good bike that is available in a large enough size? Or any to avoid? 6'9" seems to be at the very limit of what an off the peg bike can cater for, and many bikes won't go this large.

Jamesh

Postby Jamesh » 20 May 2020, 8:53am

One that's in stock......

Cheers James

Freddie

Postby Freddie » 20 May 2020, 10:09am

To the OP, here are my suggestions:

Get a steel mountain bike or expedition type touring bike for 26" wheels (they are stronger than 700c/racing size wheels) and use riser bars, forget about drop (racing) bars until you've lost a bit of weight
Spend £200 on some heavy duty, handbuilt wheels from somewhere like Spa cycles
That leaves you about £600 left over for a bike. I'd suggest a new one, rather than a secondhand one, just because there is nothing to worry about concerning the condition of the components.

Freddie

Postby Freddie » 20 May 2020, 10:12am

gregoryoftours wrote:Hello, I have a related query that I hope you don't mind me adding to this thread, because it may be that people who have relevant experience may see it. Basically I'm looking for recommendations for a new rider 6'9", 110kg. He wants to ride flat bars, easy trails off road, maybe extending to a little bit of xc at the most extreme. Budget of £400-£800. I've suggested 29er due to his height, rigid to get a better bike for the money and because of the riding he hopes to do. Does anyone have any suggestions or experience of a good bike that is available in a large enough size? Or any to avoid? 6'9" seems to be at the very limit of what an off the peg bike can cater for, and many bikes won't go this large.
If you don't mind finding a frame off ebay and building up with bits (from your shed?), that might be the route I'd go. I have seen 66cm-68cm frames on ebay (don't know about right now). I think the difficulty with being that size is getting frames long and tall (and rigid) enough.

Maybe one of Thorn's touring frames will be long and tall enough (with the acre of steerer they supply them with), perhaps you can find one secondhand?

Jamesh

Postby Jamesh » 20 May 2020, 10:36am

Freddie wrote:To the OP, here are my suggestions:

Get a steel mountain bike or expedition type touring bike for 26" wheels (they are stronger than 700c/racing size wheels) and use riser bars, forget about drop (racing) bars until you've lost a bit of weight
Spend £200 on some heavy duty, handbuilt wheels from somewhere like Spa cycles
That leaves you about £600 left over for a bike. I'd suggest a new one, rather than a secondhand one, just because there is nothing to worry about concerning the condition of the components.

+1

lucian

Postby lucian » 21 May 2020, 6:51am

Hi
Same problem here 23 stones :( , budget around 1000£ any suggestions please ... Thank you

lewisedwards82

Postby lewisedwards82 » 21 May 2020, 9:45am

hi all. thanks for all your advice,

ive narrowed it down to 3 bikes that hopefully i can pick up today. all 3 are on ebay and second hand

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GT-Avalanche ... Sw51xexAv3

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Trek-6000-Ha ... SwO7dewZn9

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Helliot-gree ... SwkZlewRGe

please share your thoughts as im having a day off today and want to collect one today. thanks

Jamesh

Postby Jamesh » 21 May 2020, 10:00am

I'd suggest splitting your budget 1/3, 2/3 and get a cheaper bike which will be tougher and allow you to get the weight off before getting a nicer long term bike.

Carerra subway from Halfords are well recommended on here.

Depending on how tall you are 26" wheels are slightly stronger.

Cheers James

lewisedwards82

Postby lewisedwards82 » 23 May 2020, 7:18am

hi guys and girls. here is an update for anyone who is interested , and thanks again for your advice and support

yesterday i picked up a fat bike of ebay, it was one of the links i sent a couple of days ago. and wow the wheels are big, i went for my first ride last night after dinner, i was slightly embaressed as the wheels are so big and i was really struggling , it was about a 15 minute ride with hills involved, my legs were like jelly and i was seriously sweating, but i am looking for wards to going out asap again but i need flat ground. i have ideas, i was losing my balance alot as not riden in years, my misses said she will get a bike if i stick to it and we can go places but i feel its a long time till i can build my bike time up to anything like that. b ut who knows, i saw a thread about riding to france in july, well maybe 2021 july i could show you guys how its done :D

me and my dad had to alter the brakes and gears ourselves but we just followed the guide/walkthrough

thanks again