Best Bike (very) Overweight

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
skyhawk

Re: Best Bike (very) Overweight

Post by skyhawk »

I don't want to be rude but with so many people taking the time to answer and contribute why has Donmy never come back to thank people or at least acknowledge the posts ?

Perhaps it is just me :(
Both I and my son are Autistic. We have aspergers and ADHD, not stupid :). If I sound "blunt" in my posts, please be understanding : I am not perfect. Thank you. Visit https://www.asdinfowales.co.uk/ to learn more
random37

Post by random37 »

alexnharvey wrote:Two queries about the mailstar/elephant.

Isn't the stepthrough frame inherently weaker than a diamond and is that an important factor with a very heavy rider? Some older working bikes had twin top tubes, why was that?

Would the bike require some other adaptations for the load, or are there any that would help with comfort?

Yes, but if it is strong enough, it is strong enough.

I have read somewhere (I forget where) that the Mailstar was originally designed for a weight of 180kg (rider and luggage). Having seen one in the fflesh, I can believe that. I don't think it would be easy to break at all.

With regards to comfort, the biggest thing is being fairly upright.
Ukjonnyboy

Post by Ukjonnyboy »

Having found this topic, I would to thank the contributors. I am purchasing an Elephant bike as a route to finally dropping some weight. I am fit (landscape gardener) but Heavy, I went to ride my old GT mountain bike and it started to complain. I just want to be able to ride with my son and hopefully get the bug again. As a bi-product lose some weight. My initial goal is 10% weight loss at a time. I used to do 10 & 25 mile time trials in my 20’s but after getting married and having 3 children the KGs have slowly gone on, bizarrely diets make you heavier. Anyway your comments have been useful and I’ve asked the makers of Elephant Bikes if they will build me a bright yellow one. Let’s see.
lewisedwards82

bike advice for heavy rider and new to bikes

Post by lewisedwards82 »

hi, im looking to get a bike asap. i have no adult bike experience, im a 38 year old 23 stone male in need of weight loss. ive read a few different things the last few days about needing bigger wheels, more spokes on the wheels. a comfy saddle, etc etc

im not sure whats true and what isnt as ive just been in my local bike shop and the guy in there is saying a python rock at £229 will be good enough for me.

id happily spend more if needed and dont want the bike to break on me if im riding . i asked him if i need strong tires as im heavy and he said no as its just the air pressure in the tyres that count

on halfords website i cant see anything about weight limits on the bikes etc

any advice would be super great,
Jdsk

Re: bike advice for heavy rider and new to bikes

Post by Jdsk »

Welcome.

What sort of surfaces would you like to ride on?

And how do you feel about drop handlebars?

Jonathan
lewisedwards82

Post by lewisedwards82 »

thanks for the fast reply mate

i suppose it will be road or pavement but if i could take my bike to a few parks then i suppose i would, but mainly roads

hmm, drop handle bars, no experience with these so was thinking normal mountain bike type handle bars
WOT

Post by WOT »

What height are you?
lewisedwards82

Post by lewisedwards82 »

when he got me to sit on a bike to check which frame bike is for me he said that my toes should reach the floor but not my whole foot flat, that correct? legs about 30inch inside
PH

Post by PH »

For that money you might be better served with secondhand, though buying can be a minefield there are some reputable commercial sellers. If you say where you are someone might have a local recommendation. If you were anywhere near me, I could send you to three places where I could pretty much guarantee you'd get a better bike for under £200 than where you're looking.
Having said that, I bought my first bike as an adult without knowing anything, advertised in the paper, the seller seemed genuine, it was a ten year old used but not abused MTB and I paid £40. I did several thousands of miles on that bike before someone nicked it.
Good luck.
lewisedwards82

Post by lewisedwards82 »

wow. i just spoke to halfords on an online chat and apparently all there bikes have a weight limit of 120kgs 18stone 6 or 8 i think, im nowhere near that weight. unbelievable, I JUST WANT A BIKE so i can ride in the fresh air and lose weight before i catch corona and die.
Graham

Post by Graham »

This previous topic maybe useful, despite the stated budget ( £high ) . . . moves on to "Elephant bike" & "Fat bike" :-
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=130644
WOT

Post by WOT »

That’s how it goes. In essence they are telling you that stuff will break and you will have to pay to fix it.

I can tell you that starting at more than your weight and now being ~4st less than you I have broken a lot of middle of the road bike components.

Whatever you buy for your budget will require ongoing maintenance particularly if you are actually going to do the hard miles to get the weight off in addition to watching your food intake.

If you are in London you are welcome to try out my old bike.
lewisedwards82

Post by lewisedwards82 »

thanks for the kind offer WOT but i live in birmingham

my budget can be higher. i dont mind spending maybe £750 tops if its worth the extra money

ive looked at elephant bikes and to me i dont like how they look,hope that doesnt sound silly, ive looked at fat bikes but all ive read on them is that they are good for sand and other surfices but ive not read there designed especially for overweight people

it seems really hard to just find a bike thats suitable for me and just go get it and start exercising and trying to make a change in my life, quite worried about covid as my job means im at peoples houses everyday and im obviously at risk of dying at my size

any suggestions on a mountain type bike that i can buy online with next day delivery would be super. thanks
WOT

Post by WOT »

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/rc500-flat- ... 54412.html

Perhaps something like this?
Add a lock, helmet, bottle, bottle cage and mudguards, pump and puncture repair kit and you should be good to go.

In due course change the tyres to 35mm wide schwalbe marathon plus.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

WOT wrote:https://www.decathlon.co.uk/rc500-flat-bar-disc-road-bike-sora-id_8554412.html

Perhaps something like this?
Add a lock, helmet, bottle, bottle cage and mudguards, pump and puncture repair kit and you should be good to go.

In due course change the tyres to 35mm wide schwalbe marathon plus.

28 spoke wheels and a caution not to carry heavy bags. what could possibly go wrong?