Ammaco CS250

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
capstain411

Ammaco CS250

Post by capstain411 »

I am new to biking. I want to try riding to work 3 days a week. Commute will involve some canal side and tarmac riding. I was browsing on facebook can see a local seller selling Ammaco CS250 for £75. Says just over a year old. No issues. Locks come with it...no mud guards which i would have preferred.

Is think a decent bike for occasional commute.

I am a marathon runner,so weight and exhaustion is not a real issue. I however dont want to inherit absolute rubbish, which sadly some of the posts paint of this brand.
peetee

Re: Ammaco CS250

Post by peetee »

I would say that if it has been looked after and is fully functioning that would be a good purchase. Do be aware though that if the gearing and chain are worn out you could spend that much again sorting it out. Best advice with any used purchase is to take someone knowledgeable. Condition is everything when on a budget.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
capstain411

Post by capstain411 »

All big fat petrol head friends like me. Any tips on what to look out for. The seller is a keen cyclist, I hope he will not sell me a dud bike.
peetee

Post by peetee »

If you spend a fiver and get a chain wear indicator that will get you some way to establishing the state of it. Also give it a test ride and if the chain slips or the gears crunch under pressure expect to pay for replacement as mentioned previously. The brakes should have good power and not feel mushy. Make sure the steering is smooth and doesn't clunk when you pull the brakes hard. Spin the wheels and check they are straight and run quietly.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
PT1029

Post by PT1029 »

Most Ammacos are pretty poor (I repair some at work...), with most having very poor quality cup and cone BB (crank) bearings.
The CS 250 is what I would call reasonable/passable as it is I would say the best(ish) model they do.
The good news is the CS 250 has an adjustable cartridge BB bearing which is much better/more durable than the usual rubbish ones Ammaco fit. And when the BB does wear out, the cups fit a Shimano splined remover, so you (or your local shop) have a reasonable chance of gripping the old cups.

If there is notable play in the rear hub bearing, you'll probably be looking at a new wheel (at least the hubs are not brilliant alloy body hubs, but these are better than the dreadful 3 piece steel hubs on their cheaper models).

The lock probably isn't that secure, if you are leaving it in high risk areas, I'd get a better/more secure lock.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

If it looks similar to this one then it's good value for money.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3278740936

If the tyres and brake pads look fresh and matching then it probably is little used.
A well used bike with have scratches and crud on it and worn chainset and jockey wheels which are like shark fin and dolphin backs respectively.

Cheers James
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

one way of looking at it is that for £75 you might get to find out if you like riding a bike to work or not before that bike falls apart or needs extensive repairs.

One way or another we 'pay for our education' and £75 might be good value and you might not have a dead loss at the end of it either. If you bought a more expensive bike , new, you would expect to take hit bigger than that as soon as you wheel it out of the store.

Another consideration is that (unlike a new bike of almost any kind) a used ammaco won't be terribly attractive to thieves.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

At a purely financial level:

How much does your commute cost - maybe £3 per day? Plus maybe the odd trip to the shops or pub.

That's about a tenner a week. If it lasts through August you are quids in. I'm not into disposable stuff, but you could probably wear this into the ground and then look around for something decent.

One other point, why is a keen cyclist riding/selling a bike like this. You may want to check it's provenance.
capstain411

Post by capstain411 »

:D can I just say how Brilliant and forthcoming this forum is. The seller bought a new bike. As it is 2nd hand I would have expected it not to be perfect.

But I also dont want to throw a dud bike within few months and its impact on environment. Hence wanted a slightly more reliable bike which I can hold on to for few years.

A tiny revelation from me. I have not riden a bike since I was 14...I am 36 now. Do either ways it will be fun.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

IIRC the Ammaco CS250 has 3x7 gearing and uses a rear wheel with a screw-on freewheel. You can normally buy a bike like this new for about £200. On the plus side a new freewheel and chain won't be expensive to buy when it wears out; in regular use you should budget for a new freewheel and chain once a year .

On the minus side it is quite likely that the rear wheel will suffer a broken axle within a fairly short period of time (between a year and five years depending on severity of use). A cassette hub would be a better arrangement if/when the standard rear wheel gives trouble.

Other than that, the parts fitted to this bike are fairly workmanlike; not super quality but reasonably functional and easy to replace should they give trouble. A little TLC goes a long way with such bikes, but if (say) you use the bike every day for five years or so, with average amounts of maintenance, I'd say it is quite likely that you will end up replacing about half of it.

cheers
capstain411

Post by capstain411 »

What’s your thoughts on Giant FCR 4 . Can get one cheaply for £75. Will need servicing, but cycle looks in good condition.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Giant FCR4 is a nice bike but skinny tyres and not much room for mudguards means it isn't that suitable for bridlepaths.

cheers
Ishara

Post by Ishara »

I have the same dilemma. Canal towpath...some of it pretty rough and a bit of road. Only seven miles, but would feel like 70 on my Brompton so looking for second hand hybrid that won’t break the bank and will survive being locked up in the hospital bike park.

I’m 5’ 5” and have been told 18” frame? I know bugger all about bikes, but my bike obsessed mate has been advising me...his idea of cheap (650 second hand) isn’t mine though. I don’t mind spending up to £300 second hand and I really don’t mind a scratched frame, but I don’t want something expensive and stealable.

Any advice would be gratefully received :) what did you get captain in the end?
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

A second hand hybrid would be ideal.

Boardman or similar would suit.

If there is a local bike library try there.

Cheers James
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

You can purchase a shop refurbished second hand bike at one of the bike recycling centres https://www.cyclinguk.org/recycling-centres

IMO, it's at least worth a look, if there's one near you.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom