We hear so much about bike security

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Sweep

Re: We hear so much about bike security

Post by Sweep »

Glad to be of service.

I stress that I also use a quality heavy D lock through the rear wheel and rear triangle.

Plenty of worse locked bikes, ie

No effective front wheel locking
No rear wheel locking with decent D lock wasted by just locking bike crossbar
Specatacularly, and i sometimes see - bike fastened to stand by abovementioned cable with loops at each end - d lock used to join loops!
Sweep
skyhawk

Post by skyhawk »

I did see one bike locked to a bike rack with just the front wheel
Both I and my son are Autistic. We have aspergers and ADHD, not stupid :). If I sound "blunt" in my posts, please be understanding : I am not perfect. Thank you. Visit https://www.asdinfowales.co.uk/ to learn more
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I think that the reason for the cable is that it is often recommended to use two different types of lock on the same bike.

Thieves may not want to be obvious, carrying a bag of tools around; instead (the theory is) if they only have one or two types of tool, two types of lock are more likely to prevent theft than one type alone. I'm not sure that I buy that explanation, but even if I did, I would probably go for a covered chain (e.g. Abus city chain) instead of a cable.

Most places, I just lock the front wheel and frame to a solid object, such as a bike stand or railing.

If I don't believe a location is adequately secure for a nice bike, I take one that looks like it's worthless (and still use a good lock!) :lol:

Another alternative might be to use a lock & alarm.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
skyhawk

Post by skyhawk »

What about securing the bikes to carriers on the car ????
Both I and my son are Autistic. We have aspergers and ADHD, not stupid :). If I sound "blunt" in my posts, please be understanding : I am not perfect. Thank you. Visit https://www.asdinfowales.co.uk/ to learn more
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

skyhawk wrote:What about securing the bikes to carriers on the car ????

Vorpal wrote:
skyhawk wrote:When leaving a bike parked and locked but what about when they are left in a car park on the back of the car, surely we have all been on holiday and gone for a meal

????

There are [car] racks for bikes that have a locking function. I have to admit that I don't often transport bikes by car these days. If I do, I stick my own bike in the back of the car, drop the car off for an MOT or repair, then ride my bike to work.

When I have transported bikes on the back of the car (last time was 3 years ago), I carry a long ABUS
cable, and thread it through all of the bikes (frames & front wheels), plus a loop under the rear bumper, and lock that, plus a couple of bikes together with a D lock. I also try to park & sit where I can see them, or do takeaway and eat outside.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
John1054

Post by John1054 »

I padlock the rack to the towbar, then cable lock my bike to the rack. Then I use a cover over the bike and rack. Only time that I've been concerned was staying on a campsite where thefts had taken place; there was a lockable shed available overnight.
hamster

Post by hamster »

skyhawk wrote:What about securing the bikes to carriers on the car ????

Rack locked to the towbar (padlock eye part of the rack).
Big ugly Abus chain through bikes and round parts of the rack
Reverse car as close to a wall / corner / hedge as possible to impede access.
skyhawk

Post by skyhawk »

John1054 wrote:I padlock the rack to the towbar, then cable lock my bike to the rack. Then I use a cover over the bike and rack. Only time that I've been concerned was staying on a campsite where thefts had taken place; there was a lockable shed available overnight.

Cover, never thought of that, a deterrent as well
skyhawk

Post by skyhawk »

Well these arrived today (padlocks), just waiting on this chain today

padlock.jpg

fff.jpg
John1054

Post by John1054 »

[quote="skyhawk"

Cover, never thought of that, a deterrent as well[/quote]

And it keeps my pride and joy dry and clean as well :D
skyhawk

Post by skyhawk »

Can't spell............ cover...........duh should be clever.

It wasn't until looking into security that I truly now understand how crap................ crap cheap locks are, and I mean such as cable locks, cheap d locks etc.

I have ordered a hardened chain coming next week but have to collect my bikes Friday, and need to park in Tesco on the way home, I cut a chain down to size (will show what for later) and it took just 25 saw cuts despite being a large chain WHY!!!!!! would anyone use cheap cable locks or locks more to the point why are bike shops not made to be honest about how bad they are

Dscn0432.jpg