We hear so much about bike security

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Bmblbzzz

Re: Security question

Postby Bmblbzzz » 12 Jun 2019, 9:26pm

skyhawk wrote:
Bmblbzzz wrote:Theft risk for any given bike varies a lot by place and time. There are certain locations where, especially after dark (doesn't even have to be late at night), parts will be stripped. They don't have to be good parts, any wheels, saddle, bars, seat post, etc, can be sold.

I agree but as my son and I are just good weather LOW mileage park riders "Places of interest" in Wales as an example and stop at the odd Cafe I think Pinheads and Abus Granite D locks are fine at £70 each.

I would not leave any bike in London or a large city, but then I have never been to a City :(

For most cafes and places of interest in Wales, I'd say Pinheads and Abus Granites are even overkill. That said, unless you really think you'll notice the difference in weight and/or space between an Abus Granite and a lesser lock, might as well use them!

skyhawk

Postby skyhawk » 13 Jun 2019, 9:47am

again thank you all for taking the time to reply
Both I and my son are Autistic. We have aspergers and ADHD, not stupid :). If I sound "blunt" in my posts, please be understanding : I am not perfect. Thank you. Visit https://www.asdinfowales.co.uk/ to learn more

Ivor Tingting

Postby Ivor Tingting » 14 Jun 2019, 12:54pm

skyhawk wrote:I know NO lock is perfect and they are just a deterrent, but my son and I have two fairly decent bikes, mine £1800, his £800

I have Abus Granite D locks for both

What I don't understand is why no one ever appears to talk about Pin Head Locks for the wheels.

I appreciate they take a short while to get off but we have pinhead on wheels, bars and seats

Is there a reason why people only ever discuss actual locks

Thanks

There are quite a few videos on Youtube showing how Pin Head lock skewers can be opened extremely quickly by thieves.

When I was looking at locking skewers I saw these YT vids and bought Pit Lock ones instead. They seem much more secure. I couldn't find anything that showed their security was easily compromised unlike Pin Head. Just warning you. However Abus X-Plus Granit D locks are good. I have several of varying sizes.
"Zat is ze reel prowoking qwestion Mr Paxman." - Peer Steinbruck, German Finance Minister 31/03/2009.

skyhawk

Postby skyhawk » 14 Jun 2019, 2:03pm

Ivor Tingting wrote:
skyhawk wrote:I know NO lock is perfect and they are just a deterrent, but my son and I have two fairly decent bikes, mine £1800, his £800

I have Abus Granite D locks for both

What I don't understand is why no one ever appears to talk about Pin Head Locks for the wheels.

I appreciate they take a short while to get off but we have pinhead on wheels, bars and seats

Is there a reason why people only ever discuss actual locks

Thanks

There are quite a few videos on Youtube showing how Pin Head lock skewers can be opened extremely quickly by thieves.

When I was looking at locking skewers I saw these YT vids and bought Pit Lock ones instead. They seem much more secure. I couldn't find anything that showed their security was easily compromised unlike Pin Head. Just warning you. However Abus X-Plus Granit D locks are good. I have several of varying sizes.

I agree but then nothing is immovable, as I said I stop at cafes with my son on trail rides in Wales (UK), and places like Sherwood Pines etc, therefore what I have is perfect, however I would not leave a bike in a rack at a station etc all day and just rely on them.

Many thanks
Both I and my son are Autistic. We have aspergers and ADHD, not stupid :). If I sound "blunt" in my posts, please be understanding : I am not perfect. Thank you. Visit https://www.asdinfowales.co.uk/ to learn more

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 14 Jun 2019, 2:53pm

time of day and season is also important? ie after school and school holidays in particular?

Bmblbzzz

Postby Bmblbzzz » 14 Jun 2019, 4:10pm

That's an interesting point. Time of day obviously and day of the week but I'd not thought of time of year making a difference nor linking it to school holidays. Are you suggesting it's kids (teens) stealing bikes/components or some other link, such as kids on holiday providing more of a market?

Sid Aluminium

Postby Sid Aluminium » 14 Jun 2019, 5:41pm

Source for 13/32 x 26 security axle nuts, anyone?

Our local bike share bikes are so equipped, but I haven't found a consumer-level retailer.

dim

Postby dim » 14 Jun 2019, 7:14pm

mercalia wrote:
dim wrote:get a decent gold rated lock and decent bike insurance (I use Wiggle Elite)

https://cycleinsurance.wiggle.co.uk/

useless as the quote form only caters for bike 5 years old or so

my Miyata 1000 was made in 1985, and I had a live chat with a Wiggle employee .... he spoke to his manager and they have given the approval for bike insurance

colin54

Postby colin54 » 14 Jun 2019, 7:35pm

Here are a couple of previous forum discussions about quick release locking replacements :-

viewtopic.php?t=120079

viewtopic.php?t=24473

skyhawk

We hear so much about bike security

Postby skyhawk » 16 Jun 2019, 11:38am

When leaving a bike parked and locked but what about when they are left in a car park on the back of the car, surely we have all been on holiday and gone for a meal

????

Vorpal

Re: We hear so much about bike security

Postby Vorpal » 16 Jun 2019, 11:45am

skyhawk wrote:When leaving a bike parked and locked but what about when they are left in a car park on the back of the car, surely we have all been on holiday and gone for a meal

????

There are racks for bikes that have a locking function. I have to admit that I don't often transport bikes by car these days. If I do, I stick my own bike in the back of the car, drop the car off for an MOT or repair, then ride my bike to work.

When I have transported bikes on the back of the car (last time was 3 years ago), I carry a long ABUS
cable, and thread it through all of the bikes (frames & front wheels), plus a loop under the rear bumper, and lock that, plus a couple of bikes together with a D lock. I also try to park & sit where I can see them, or do takeaway and eat outside.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

Sweep

Postby Sweep » 16 Jun 2019, 3:24pm

hamster wrote:Personally I wouldn't leave an £1800 bike locked anywhere outdoors.
At that price the simplest thing for a thief to do is strip parts: snip the cables, loosen the stem and take the bars, shifters and fork.

+1
A bike of that value is for day rides I think.
Where it is always next to you.
No problem to have a very rideable but not thief attractive bike for locking.
Sweep

skyhawk

Postby skyhawk » 16 Jun 2019, 3:43pm

Sweep wrote:
hamster wrote:Personally I wouldn't leave an £1800 bike locked anywhere outdoors.
At that price the simplest thing for a thief to do is strip parts: snip the cables, loosen the stem and take the bars, shifters and fork.

+1
A bike of that value is for day rides I think.
Where it is always next to you.
No problem to have a very rideable but not thief attractive bike for locking.

Thanks both, pinheads fitted to all removable parts, I know that is not going to stop a thief but it will deter a casual lowlife.

If ( and I don't use them) cable locks are so bad, and can easily be cut why are they suggested to be used with a D lock, surely one quick cut and they still get the front wheel, saddle etc.

Sweep

Postby Sweep » 16 Jun 2019, 3:53pm

skyhawk wrote:.

If ( and I don't use them) cable locks are so bad, and can easily be cut why are they suggested to be used with a D lock, surely one quick cut and they still get the front wheel, saddle etc.

Excellent point.
Rumbled away at the back of my mind for ages.
I don't use them anymore.
On the front wheel I use a small light D lock from decathlon. Got it in a sale for £3.50 (a tenner or so originally. I think) . Often can't get it round the stand so just lock front wheel to the frame with it.
Yes it's low security and a bit of a bluff but it does mean my bike has 2 d locks on it. Many nearby won't. And more secure (and smaller and easier to carry) than a cable.

Mine is like this but rated at a mere 3.
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/500-bike-d- ... gIB4_D_BwE
Sweep

skyhawk

Postby skyhawk » 16 Jun 2019, 5:17pm

Sweep wrote:
skyhawk wrote:.

Excellent point.
Rumbled away at the back of my mind for ages.
I don't use them anymore.
On the front wheel I use a small light D lock from decathlon. Got it in a sale for £3.50 (a tenner or so originally. I think) . Often can't get it round the stand so just lock front wheel to the frame with it.
Yes it's low security and a bit of a bluff but it does mean my bike has 2 d locks on it. Many nearby won't. And more secure (and smaller and easier to carry) than a cable.

Mine is like this but rated at a mere 3.
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/500-bike-d- ... gIB4_D_BwE

Blasted good idea a cheap but decent D lock costs the same as a decent crap cable, will get them tomorrow, never thought of that, doesnt have to be a Abus Granite Thanks good reply